IGNORED

Rebecca Eleventy-hundred turns 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WonderingInWA

The resell store, McDonald and Cracker Barrel bday dinner hint at a small budget celebration. However, I don't think her birthday was bad----shopping, lunch with friends, presents, cake and dinner with dad are all nice. The girl seems like a sweet girl. However, I wouldn't have thought the celebration is for a 21 year old. Who goes shopping for possible future daughter's clothing? Her entire post makes her appear sheltered and immature. Then again, many fundie SAHD are stunted in that way, discouraged from financial independence and thinking. Her family appears more fun than the Maxwells. I hope she never marries into the Maxwell family. That would just crush her personality.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kind of feel sorry for her.

I wonder if there is more to 'just some scarring on the brain" from her supposed difficult delivery. She never made any follow up posts on visits with the neurologist.

I wonder if there is more to 'just some scarring on the brain" from her supposed difficult delivery. She never made any follow up posts on visits with the neurologist.

Yes, I've thought that, too. And the fact she doesn't have an appointment with the neuro until July seemed odd, too. Seems like if there is something wrong with her vision, she'd be able to get in to a neuro sooner than 2 months away. But maybe I expect too much from the medical community.

Aww, that was kind of sad. I'm not sure why. It's not that I think the celebrations were bad, because I've never been a big birthday celebrator, and I think everyone has different tastes so it's cool if you just want some lunch and shopping and a cake and small gifts. That's actually quite sweet. Maybe it was the looks? They did all look a bit unhealthy, and McD's definitely isn't healthy, not sure how often they have it. It's kind of gross for that to be your birthday lunch, but anyway. The buying dresses was weird. I feel bad for her. I want to say I hope she gets married and has daughters, but I don't really want any more poor home-schooled fundie SAHDs.

I really had no idea she was in her 20s until I saw this post...I honestly thought she was around 16 or 17 for some reason. I think her family is doing the best that they can, but I feel so very bad for her.

SRSLY. I'd rather hang out with her than the Maxwells ANY day of the week! She needs to set her sights higher!

Same here. Especially because I doubt the Maxwells would have the luxury/idol of cheesecake! :occasion-cake:

She also said her dad took her to Cracker Barrel. *sigh* What is it with the Fundies and Cracker Barrel? It's like Dennys right?

Fundies like Cracker Barrel because Cracker Barrel hates teh gheyz. They fired an employee for being an out gay man.

Last I heard he was going to contest it under human rights law, but it was in an at-will firing state with no civil rights for GLBT folks so it didn't look likely to succeed. I joined a few LGBT human rights groups in a campaign to buy 1 share of Cracker Barrel stock each so that they would waste a bunch of money mailing out a bunch of shareholder info each year, and so the LGBT folks could show up at the annual meetings and vote against every motion just to fuck with the company.

I don't think R!!!! is dumb, per se. I think she's mostly uneducated and very very very very sheltered.

She lacks any sort of real personal awareness, cultural sophistication, or true knowledge. That makes her come across as much much younger than she really is, even if she is of average intelligence.

edited to add, apropos of nothing, another mention of her father's AWESOMELY INSIGHTFUL self-published books.

These fundies scare me less than Maxwell-type fundies. The issues and problems we see with the former are more due to poverty and lack of education. It's not really surprising they would adopt an ultra religious lifestyle when they have little exposure to anything else. My grandparents grew up that way.

In contrast, the Maxwell parents were educated. Steve could have made a great income for his family and given his children fantastic opportunities and educations. It is twisted and wrong what he has chosen to do instead.

Can I get a link? I tried searching for it, but I just came up with a blog that hasn't updated since Sept 2011.

I think what makes it weird for me is that she blogged about it, and it was apparently her official birthday present. Buying something something like that would be a guilty pleasure out in the real world--not something you'd admit openly, or at least, you'd acknowledge that it was maybe a little out of order in terms of life-planning, but it was so awesome you couldn't resist doing it early. Most people don't want to hang their birthday present on future children.

I'm wondering, too, what the purpose of the photo of her purity ring was. The caption said it was given to her on her 18th birthday and she's just celebrated her 21st birthday. Uh, okay, so you're still wearing the ring!

And those big frosting flowers on the cheesecake make my stomach hurt. Top cheesecake with fruit, not frosting. Yuck.

I'm wondering, too, what the purpose of the photo of her purity ring was. The caption said it was given to her on her 18th birthday and she's just celebrated her 21st birthday. Uh, okay, so you're still wearing the ring!

And those big frosting flowers on the cheesecake make my stomach hurt. Top cheesecake with fruit, not frosting. Yuck.

That cheesecake looks a little iffy to me. I'd have never guessed that's what it was. Makes me want Cheesecake Factory though.

The purity ring :roll: We get it. It's your birthday...what better time to announce (via the family blog) that you're a virgin and your parents gave you a ring to celebrate.

You know the way these fundies totally stunt their children's growth, I don't think we have to really worry about them gaining "dominion" and taking things over. :roll:

The young girl who celebrated with her is from the Wilkinson family, she and her brothers have FAS. The Wilkinsons adopted the girl and I believe 3 brothers. I find it odd that a 21 year old has a 9 yr old best friend. It seems like she doesn't have any peer aged friends.

The young girl who celebrated with her is from the Wilkinson family, she and her brothers have FAS. The Wilkinsons adopted the girl and I believe 3 brothers. I find it odd that a 21 year old has a 9 yr old best friend. It seems like she doesn't have any peer aged friends.

I've thought the same thing -- why a 21yo young woman would have a "bestie" who is at least 10 years younger than herself. And she takes a lot of photos of Rachel, which I think is also strange.

How do you know she and her brothers have FAS? I must have missed that in the past. Sad, but glad she and her brothers are growing up together. I don't know much about FAS, but do know children afflicted are to show some distinct facial features, which I do not recognize on those kids. Any info?

I've thought the same thing -- why a 21yo young woman would have a "bestie" who is at least 10 years younger than herself. And she takes a lot of photos of Rachel, which I think is also strange.

How do you know she and her brothers have FAS? I must have missed that in the past. Sad, but glad she and her brothers are growing up together. I don't know much about FAS, but do know children afflicted are to show some distinct facial features, which I do not recognize on those kids. Any info?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 78c22.html

Rachel wandered off into the woods in 2010 and was missing for a few hours and when they announced she was found her dad said that she and her brothers have FAS which sometimes causes her to act out. FAS children usually have smaller sized heads, small eye openings, flat mid face, etc. http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/graphics/fasface.jpg

I assumed the purity ring picture was a subtle (or not-so-subtle) reminder to any readers that she's old enough to court.

Re. the 9 year old; Rebecca may have a big sister-little sister relationship with her. She may feel her friendship might be helping the little girl after she got such a rough start in life. I can't get too snarky on Rebecca who comes across sweet, if naive.

But, if she goes after my John Maxwell, the gloves come off!!!

Isn't 18 a little late to be getting a purity ring?

I'm starting to realize there are two different types of fundies when it comes to their daughters sex life. There's the type that wants to marry them off ASAP so they can start having babies at 16, and there's the type that want to keep them at home under lock and key as long as possible. For the second type, no, I don't think getting a purity ring at 18 would be considered late, because I have a feeling she's going to be a Stay At Home Spinster in 30 years.

Isn't 18 a little late to be getting a purity ring?

It would have sure as hell been too late for me. :whistle:

I'm starting to realize there are two different types of fundies when it comes to their daughters sex life. There's the type that wants to marry them off ASAP so they can start having babies at 16, and there's the type that want to keep them at home under lock and key as long as possible. For the second type, no, I don't think getting a purity ring at 18 would be considered late, because I have a feeling she's going to be a Stay At Home Spinster in 30 years.

Agreed. She's certainly no Botkin-esque looker and she's not a scholar (at least by the evidence of her blog). That purity ring was probably given to her the day her mother told her about where babies come from. I feel sorry for her, but at 21, I think she needs to look at her situation and at some point just start being responsible for herself. My mother was raised in poverty and rose above it. Rebecca needs to get a backbone and realize her parents aren't very bright and just find a way out. The internet can only get her so far. She needs to learn to drive (she doesn't even have a driver's license!), get a real education (her homeschooling hasn't really panned out), and get out of the trailer. Maybe her internet outreach/blog is her ticket. I have a lot of unkind words to say about her parents, but I won't say those right now. The fact they have a 21yo daughter that doesn't have anything to offer anyone doesn't make her very marketable in the fundie courting community. How sad.

Agreed. She's certainly no Botkin-esque looker and she's not a scholar (at least by the evidence of her blog). That purity ring was probably given to her the day her mother told her about where babies come from. I feel sorry for her, but at 21, I think she needs to look at her situation and at some point just start being responsible for herself. My mother was raised in poverty and rose above it. Rebecca needs to get a backbone and realize her parents aren't very bright and just find a way out. The internet can only get her so far. She needs to learn to drive (she doesn't even have a driver's license!), get a real education (her homeschooling hasn't really panned out), and get out of the trailer. Maybe her internet outreach/blog is her ticket. I have a lot of unkind words to say about her parents, but I won't say those right now. The fact they have a 21yo daughter that doesn't have anything to offer anyone doesn't make her very marketable in the fundie courting community. How sad.

Well said.

I know this is incredibly shallow of me, but I wish Rebecca were allowed to have a nice hair style and wear makeup. They would make such a difference. Like her, I have baby-fine, stringy hair and pale skin with a tendency toward under-eye shadows. Layering, "product," and judicious use of cosmetics work wonders for my otherwise Dawn of the Dead appearance.

Some of us women are natural beauties. Many of us are not. The folks at Cover Girl et al. are our friends.

It's sad that she has been raised to be useless. I mean, outside of keeping a home and keeping sweet, she has nothing to offer. It's really sad, I cannot believe someone purposely set out to give her this life. What can she do? She probably cannot even work a cash register. Her parents will die and no Prince Charming will come, and then what?

Archived