How many of you have watched specials on the Duggars that aired before they had their own TV show? I'm looking at Michelle's hair and overall appearance, and I'm wondering just how much of her "makeover" has had to do with TLC influence.

Huh, perhaps. The whole family looks much more mainstream now than they did in the early days. I'd never really thought about why before, but maybe TLC encouraged them to update their style so they'd have wider appeal.

Huh, perhaps. The whole family looks much more mainstream now than they did in the early days. I'd never really thought about why before, but maybe TLC encouraged them to update their style so they'd have wider appeal.

I also think TLC encouraged the style updates for appeal reasons. I remember reading reviews of the pre-series documentaries and the first season of 17kac which described the Duggars as "bland" and "Amish like". TLC/Discovery knew about that and gave them ideas of what to wear to look more mainstream.

I remember that 1st special, 14 kids and pregnant again. J'chelle and the girls all wore prarie dresses with huge collars. Talk about a Fashion Don't!

Every time I've seen Part 2 of "Raising 16 Children", I think that Michelle is saying "I can't find sh*t without my marker!" :lol:

youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=h--_guUb9g0

I expect to see a similar change in the Bates' if the show continues beyond season 1.

They've already changed drastically. They used to wear all those matching dresses with the peter pan collars, in crazy color combos like lime green and bubblegum pink or sherberty-orange. The next time they were on the show? Normal skirts with plain sweaters.

They still wore lots of hand-me-downs, thrifted or home-made stuff in the first few specials and Gothard heavily encourages girls and younger teenagers to wear dresses (as opposed to separate skirts and shirts) for modesty reasons. Also, the J'slaves are older and have had a lot more exposure to what the big, bad world is wearing. I'd risk a week in the prayer closet too, if it meant the possibility of not having to wear frumpers and bloomers (especially if it meant matching with every other female in the house).

They've already changed drastically. They used to wear all those matching dresses with the peter pan collars, in crazy color combos like lime green and bubblegum pink or sherberty-orange. The next time they were on the show? Normal skirts with plain sweaters.

You're right. How quickly I've forgotten! :)

It's a stark change, and I assume it's TLC influence.

They likely got approval for the change by arguing that it makes them seem less weird to viewers and therefore more open to the message. TLC has taken the "look how these people who seem really different may be just like you" approach with many of their other shows (Jon & Kate +8, Little People Big World, The Little Couple, All-American Muslim, etc.).

On a practical level, TLC involvement meant (1) stylists from the outside world, where fashion has evolved since 1985, and (2) money for new clothes, makeup, etc.

Every time I've seen Part 2 of "Raising 16 Children", I think that Michelle is saying "I can't find sh*t without my marker!" :lol:

youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=h--_guUb9g0

:shock: Not only did I hear her big-girl voice, I heard her say "shit" too.

:shock: Not only did I hear her big-girl voice, I heard her say "shit" too.

Holy crap! I heard her say "shit," too! :lol: Wonder how they'd spin that one!

That was great. I'd let the show stay on for another 10 years if only to hear Michelle actually say 'shit' just once.

Holy crap! I heard her say "shit," too! :lol: Wonder how they'd spin that one!

:lol: Holy crap, that's true!

I think a large part of it is because of the image TLC wants to project of them (they want them to seem closer to a normal family even though their lifestyle is totally different), but I'm sure some of it has to do with finances, too. Back then they didn't have the money from TLC, and iirc they also only completed/furnished their house because TLC paid for it to be finished. They have a lot more money to spend now than they did back then, so it's easier for them to buy clothes instead of making them all.

Archived