IGNORED

Chernobyl Diaries (movie)

Athena

Am I the only one who thinks this movie is in poor taste? Many people died from this disaster and many are still living and mourning their loss or are themselves affected physically. I can imagine it would be painful to see a movie where the victims of this disaster are portrayed as monsters. To me it is akin to a ghost movie about the victims of 9/11.

Just sayin'...

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not expert but one of the ads I saw for it made it look like the place isn't really haunted. Rather, being in Chernobyl for an extended length of time exposed the "tourists" to too much radiation and they were having hallucinations because of it.

I think the premise of the movie is that a group of tourists go there and find that the residents who were affected by the disaster have become mutants. Here is the link to the IMBD page on it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1991245/

I just think it's really insensitive to the survivors.

I don't say this often but... too soon, man. Too soon. I know it's been, like, 25 years but I can't imagine someone making a film about Ground Zero being "haunted" or whatever in 14 years.

Having lived in Ukraine for a couple years, I would definitely say it's too soon. It's still dealt with very seriously there. I never heard anyone joke about that. The school I worked at lit a candle of remembrance and had a moment of silence on the anniversary.

I saw the trailer on TV and thought "Who would want to go there on vacay?"

I understand it being too soon, but at the same time, it does look like an interesting storyline. A lot of people who are moviegoers are too young to remember this happening, so I can see how there are people out there who would like to see something like this. I feel bad for anyone who is genuinely hurt by the idea though.

I don't like the idea at all. I've been to Pripyat and it is creepy, so I can see the horror movie angle if it was just a place, but there are people who survived it, lost loved ones, or had children who died or wore born disabled because of the effects. To soon and just bad taste all around.

1. Too soon.

2. There were people who refused to evacuate, and we know what happened to them. Hint: they didn't become mutants.

3. There have been scientists of all kinds studying the area ever since then, and there have been tour groups going through the area for the last several years. One of my cousins went on one. The place hasn't been completely abandoned.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't be able to suspend my disbelief enough for this movie to work.

Definitely too soon. I've wanted to visit Pripyat for a long time, ever since I learned about the Chernobyl Disaster. I would be much more impressed if there was a type of 'memorial' film made about it with big name stars.

I felt a little sick when I saw the ads for this. They still protest and hold summits about Chernobyl to this day. I kind of feel that the area of Pripyat should be treated the way Robert Ballard said about the Titanic. It's basically a cemetery, a memorial. It cheapens and destroys it every time two idiots go down there to get married on the crushed bow.

Sad.

Archived