IGNORED

Jesus > Religion

BlondeAgent007

from the synopsis:

A poem I wrote to highlight the difference between Jesus and false religion. In the scriptures Jesus received the most opposition from the most religious people of his day. At it's core Jesus' gospel and the good news of the Cross is in pure opposition to self-righteousness/self-justification. Religion is man centered, Jesus is God-centered. This poem highlights my journey to discover this truth. Religion either ends in pride or despair. Pride because you make a list and can do it and act better than everyone, or despair because you can't do your own list of rules and feel "not good enough" for God. With Jesus though you have humble confident joy because He represents you, you don't represent yourself and His sacrifice is perfect putting us in perfect standing with God the Fathe

If it should be somewhere else I'm sorry.

It's here to be snarked on? It's going to get plenty of that, even if it was meant as advertisement.

And all this crap stemming from a misunderstood and misapplied definition of "religion" (religion: works humans do to be close to God/earn salvation).

Guest Anonymous
If it should be somewhere else I'm sorry.
I think that what others were asking is: what is the point of you putting it here? What are your views on it?

It's really old news. I find it hilarious that this is considered original at all. I'm 51 years old and grew up in a fundegelical church. I heard "it's a relationship not a religion" from a very early age. All evangelicals "believe" this. But the truth is they also think you're going to burn in hell if you don't believe Jesus died for your sins. And if you believe that, you're life should show it in some way. That's the religion part and they can ignore it, but it is what it is... A religion.

Stuff like this has been going around since I was a child. We were always told to say we weren't religious, we followed Christ. Both mean the same thing, though.

Yeah, it's just sophistry. Religion is a set of beliefs about the supernatural combined with the rituals and laws you practice. If you worship Jesus, pray to him daily, and go to a church (inc. home church), guess what? You are practicing a religion, which is in place to structure your relationship with God and the world. Probably at some point people decided that "religion" sounded boring and stuffy, and decided to reframe it. But especially when it comes to fundies, I just have to laugh about how they insist that all they are doing is having a relationship with God, while all they actually do is practice an incredibly legalistic RELIGION.

I came across this from watching an on demand of 20/20, explaining how the video went viral. I searched the board and I didn't come up with it, so I wasn't sure if it had been posted here. There's something about his arrogance that is incredibly offputting to me. I can understand his frustration with organized religion on some level. However, his black and white religion = people centered; jesus = god centered rubs me wrong. He, at 22, i think lacks the knowledge and experience to inform people how to practice their religion. I also didn't know religions had political parties.

Also, his blanket statement seems to imply that christianity is the ONLY religion. Religion bad, Jesus good discredits and makes light of every religion that doesn't involve jesus. I understand how religious groups can use politics and other outside forces to influence its members. It doesn't make all religion bad, or all of it end in pride or despair.

This is what happens when you give license to anyone with a camera and a voice to publish whatever they feel like.

Guest Anonymous
This is what happens when you give license to anyone with a camera and a voice to publish whatever they feel like.

Hold up a minute there. Do you think that it's a bad thing for people to be able to voice their opinions? What in the seven hells are you trying to say? You're against free speech because people are saying stuff on the internet that you don't agree with? You've been posting copious amounts of bullcrap all over the entire board the past couple of days. What is your deal?

Hold up a minute there. Do you think that it's a bad thing for people to be able to voice their opinions? What in the seven hells are you trying to say? You're against free speech because people are saying stuff on the internet that you don't agree with? You've been posting copious amounts of bullcrap all over the entire board the past couple of days. What is your deal?

Good catch Lissar, I've pretty much been ignoring her drivel I'm glad you brought this to the fore.

I can't think someone's opinion is silly? I really don't like anything PP has to say, but at least he doesn't disable comments on his videos. I never said to strip his youtube account and break his camera. This is a snark board, I can't even count how many times here I've read, "the stupid, it burns..."

Guest Anonymous
I can't think someone's opinion is silly? I really don't like anything PP has to say, but at least he doesn't disable comments on his videos. I never said to strip his youtube account and break his camera. This is a snark board, I can't even count how many times here I've read, "the stupid, it burns..."

You didn't say his opinion was silly. You said:

Are you really incapable of understanding the difference/comprehending the implications of what you did say?

We need to start keeping count of every time a noob says "but this is a snark board!" to wiggle out of saying something stupid. :lol:

Archived