IGNORED

Australian Judge orders baby to be Vaccinated.

Wolfie

Yeah, the topic is back, but I thought that this news article was worth discussing. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8469556

Although I'm a big believer in immunizations I would normally be opposed to court mandated immunizations. But in this case, with a mother having chronic Hep B I think the judge did the right thing.

Although I'm a big believer in immunizations I would normally be opposed to court mandated immunizations. But in this case, with a mother having chronic Hep B I think the judge did the right thing.

This.

If the courts started mandating vaccinations in the US I think that a) a lot of the anti-vaxers would go underground and pull their kids out of the school/medical system completely and b) as the case loads increase, I worry that those children that may actually have a medical reason not to take a certain vaccine may get overlooked.

The Hep B vaccine is administered in multiple doses to be effective (birth, 2, 4, and 6 months typically). With only one dose being legally required did the judge really do anything to help inoculate the baby against Hep B?

They might need a separate court order for each shot? Even one shot gives some immunity.

Poor baby. If her parents care more about their religious principles than a 40% chance of cancer and liver damage, the rest of her life is not looking rosy.

I am a NON-vaxer (as opposed to anti-vaxers who don't believe vaccines should EVER be used on anyone no matter what - we don't vax, but respect the right of parents who choose to), and even I agree with that judge. That baby has a significant chance of getting hepatitis, not some small chance. If my daughter had a 20% chance of getting something that could cause major medical problems or death, you can bet that we'd be rushing to get the shots. I'm not worried about death from measles, mumps, etc., in a country where we have good sanitation and medicines to make sure these things are mild (once upon a time, treatments weren't good, and in third-world countries, these things are still killers, and I would rather have a vaccine that could go to my daughter go to someone where these illnesses are deadly), but there is no making hepatitis mild.

I agree with Emmie. Those parents are putting their religious beliefs ahead of a significant medical risk.

Glass, a lot of parents who don't vaccinate are already worried about taking their kids to doctors and so lie about their kids' vaccine statuses. When a doctor who is supportive of parental choice regarding vaccines is found, that doctor is held in high esteem.

(Somewhat off topic but not entirely - whooping cough is going around here, as in less than a couple hundred cases between two states, but regardless, since we don't vaccinate, we aren't taking our daughter to public play places. She plays with her friends, children of my friends who are like-minded and likewise keep their kids away from public play places when illnesses are any concern. It's our responsibility to keep her away when something's going around.)

Glass, a lot of parents who don't vaccinate are already worried about taking their kids to doctors and so lie about their kids' vaccine statuses. When a doctor who is supportive of parental choice regarding vaccines is found, that doctor is held in high esteem.

I'm lucky enough to go to such a doctor right now--I vaccinated my offspring, just not according to the schedule--but I think it's a moot point anyway as IMO many of the anti-vaxing parents are suspicious of the medical establishment as a whole and can't really do more dropping out of that.

I was talking more about pulling kids out of school, out of sports, refusing to take them to the doctor when they are injured or sick. It would give the people who profit off of anti-vaxing something to build paranoia with, in the same way that some homeschoolers do crazy stuff like keep their kids in all day because HSLDA tells them CPS is going to show up at the door.

(Somewhat off topic but not entirely - whooping cough is going around here, as in less than a couple hundred cases between two states, but regardless, since we don't vaccinate, we aren't taking our daughter to public play places. She plays with her friends, children of my friends who are like-minded and likewise keep their kids away from public play places when illnesses are any concern. It's our responsibility to keep her away when something's going around.)

This is a good, very responsible approach.

This.

If the courts started mandating vaccinations in the US I think that a) a lot of the anti-vaxers would go underground and pull their kids out of the school/medical system completely and b) as the case loads increase, I worry that those children that may actually have a medical reason not to take a certain vaccine may get overlooked.

My doctor when I was a baby thought doctors gave too many vaccines at one time. He spaced them out further and gave them to us in half doses. It's a good thing too, because I had an allergic reaction to the whooping cough vaccine (Pertussis?). Clearly this vaccine was in the best interest of the child. 40% is really high. Why would you risk your child having such a terrible illness if you knew it could be prevented?

My doctor when I was a baby thought doctors gave too many vaccines at one time. He spaced them out further and gave them to us in half doses. It's a good thing too, because I had an allergic reaction to the whooping cough vaccine (Pertussis?). Clearly this vaccine was in the best interest of the child. 40% is really high. Why would you risk your child having such a terrible illness if you knew it could be prevented?

That's just how religion can jellify the brain.

Ordinarily I would be extremely against this kind of imposition on people's decisions, but more and more I am seeing that someone needs to protect kids from harmful decisions that their parents make for them.

I'm glad this baby got the protection she needs.

I personaly have been vaccinated for most things including hepititis, whooping and even small pox. I am a teacher and am exsposed to manythings. I believe as a person that works with kids I should be immune so I cant passes things on to my students or their family. Depending on a population a unvaccinated child still has a communityor herd/ immunity to a disease.

I agree with the judge. With the mom being sick with it, the baby needs an extra boost of protection.

Archived