IGNORED

Lousewife has found the sole cause of breast cancer

SpeakNow

If you read the rest of it, it sounds like she thinks we should all have babies as soon as we can.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ncer-lies/

There's more pseudoscience in that post than the entire horoscope section of my paper. Can we explain to her that having a PhD doesn't necessarily mean someone isn't full of shit?

I shared the link with my lovely, feminist, breast cancer survivor bestie. I'm sure she'll love it, and tear the woman a new one. LOL!

What about men who get breast cancer? (A few do.) Jeez, thinking is not this "woman's" strong suit.

My grandmother had 3 children (after 10 years of miscarriages) and she had breast cancer. She was in her 80s, and it was an aggressive type that the doctors didn't even have a protocol for treating in a woman her age. Her youngest sister had two children and got breast cancer, eventually dying when it recurred. Her eldest sister never had any children and she never had breast cancer.

Am I implying that having children caused my grandmother and great-aunt to get cancer? No, because unlike the Stinking Lousewife's black-and-white world, causality is a very complicated thing to prove.

The truth is, feminism causes breast cancer.

Kansas state legislature wannabe.

Ugh, that "doctor" she cites is a total fraud. Perhaps, if she would like to weigh in on a scientific and medical issue, she should seek out actual peer-reviewed academic resources rather than relying on websites run by anti-choice zealots who clearly haven't looked at web design since 1995.

So, Lousewife, does abortion cause breast cancer?

[link=http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/MoreInformation/is-abortion-linked-to-breast-cancer]The American Cancer Society says NO.[/link]

[link=http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20Publications/Committee%20Opinions/Committee%20on%20Gynecologic%20Practice/Induced%20Abortion%20and%20Breast%20Cancer%20Risk.aspx]The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says NO. (And that the very old studies that anti-choicers cite were methodologically flawed).[/link]

[link=http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/reproductive-history]The National Cancer Institute says NO. (And confirms the ACOG's stance on old, flawed studies).[/link]

A swing and a miss. What about oral contraceptives? Do THOSE cause breast cancer?

[link=http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives]The National Cancer Institute found that women who use OCs may have a slightly increased risk of breast cancer, but only in the decade following OC use.[/link] Women who had been off OCs for more than ten years did not have an increased risk of breast cancer, which is significant given that the [link=http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html]median age of diagnosis of breast cancer is 61 years old[/link]. Additionally, OC use decreases the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancers.

The following [link=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10338265]two[/link] academic [link=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11091984]articles[/link] published in scholarly obstetric journals found that the data supporting a link between OCs and breast cancer was insufficient.

Of course, in order to come to an informed conclusion about such a complex topic, our "Thinking Housewife" would indeed be required to think for herself.

Edited for riffles

Great, next they'll probably tell me that my husband's testicular cancer was caused by our liberalism and/or non-procreative sex.

It's believed that estrogen can contribute, and that having lots of kids stretches out the time with lower production, but feminism itself doesn't cause breast cancer. Christians who are anti-feminism can get breast cancer too.

I think the leading cause of utter stupidity is too much bible instead of taking it in moderation.

...and in other news...the debate surrounding the existence of Santa Claus continues. :roll:

So I can say that my father, a feminist, died of breast cancer instead of heart disease, and my mother and sisters and I are all pre-cancerous?

What about feminists who choose to have a large family? They've done everything "right" to avoid breast cancer, except eschew that dirty, dirty ideology.

I shouldn't have read that! It's made me so angry! I'm having to stop myself from doing a line by line deconstruction

...and in other news...the debate surrounding the existence of Santa Claus continues. :roll:

I was going to rant about a friend and her struggles with hereditary breast cancer, and all sorts of shit, but this post made me want to forget it, and just laugh, it's that start banging my head from the stupidity.

Much of my time is spent doing mammography/breast imaging. So I see many women with breast cancer. Many do not have ANY risk factors - and yet they still have breast cancer. Many did all the "right" things and still have breast cancer. There is nothing that will guarantee that a woman (or man for that matter) will not get breast cancer. Blame/shame has no place in the treatment of breast cancer and indeed has no place in medicine in general.

The thinking(sic) housewife has once again demonstrated his/her complete lack of understanding and knowledge.

Does being a feminist alter one's genetic structure so that you get one of the mutant BRCA genes?

Does it cause you to eat a typical Western diet, which is more likely to cause weight gain which in turn is associated with a higher risk?

Logically, I'm also wondering how the body can tell the difference between a miscarriage and induced abortion. In both cases, you get a dramatic hormone drop.

I opnce had a fundie claim that oral sex causes breast cancer. See, sperm causes cells to divide rapidly, so when you give a guy a blow job, it causes the cells in your chest to do so, which is cancer.

... You can probably picture the expression on my face when I heard that.

I opnce had a fundie claim that oral sex causes breast cancer. See, sperm causes cells to divide rapidly, so when you give a guy a blow job, it causes the cells in your chest to do so, which is cancer.

Damn, someone really didn't want to give BJ's.

My saintly mother-in-law had her first child at 18. She had an aggressive type of breast cancer that showed up in her 40's and kept rearing its ugly head until it killed her more than 20 years later.

She was pretty feminist in beliefs and a savvy businesswoman, but she loved the babies and was a doting wife and mother to the point where I have given up on living up to her legacy. There were thousands of people at her funeral, many came from thousands of miles away. Not a dry eye in the house when her daughters, my sisters-in-law, talked about how she called them every morning just to chat even when running two businesses.

She was altruistic and philanthropic and active in mentoring young women interested in running a small business. She never got to formally meet my three youngest children or see my nephew become a doctor or my brother-in-law an American citizen. But we can feel her gentle spirit with us sometimes.

The Thinking Housewife is jealous of all the lovely, fulfilled women like my mother-in-law who touched thousands of lives and lived the American dream. Breast cancer is unfair, it is a terrible way to die and it does not skip over the accomplished. I think TH is facing her own mortality and trying to convince herself that it could not happen to her.

Hmm, what about "pearl necklaces?" Will I get breast cancer because I let a guy come all over my lovely lady lumps?

Yeah, and how exactly does the sperm reach my mammary glands (besides the obvious I mean)? If semen from oral sex was going to cause cancer at all, wouldn't it be mouth and throat cancer?

Yeah, and how exactly does the sperm reach my mammary glands (besides the obvious I mean)? If semen from oral sex was going to cause cancer at all, wouldn't it be mouth and throat cancer?

Oral sex can actually cause mouth and throat cancer, but from HPV, not sperm itself making cells divide rapidly.

Not that I would wish it on anyone, but what is she going to say if she gets Cancer? Millions of women do, so statistically she could. So will she blame herself or just thank God he gave her that horrible disease?

And if she's talking young, then is she encouraging teen pregnancy? My niece had her first child at 15, another before 20, and then one a few years after that. Her second husband just left her. This has made her life much more difficult, but hey, I guess she'll be Cancer free!

If you read the rest of it, it sounds like she thinks we should all have babies as soon as we can.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ncer-lies/

You know that she is right-If you are a women you have a 1-8 chances of developing breast cancer. By the way Breast cancer does not care if you are a SAHM with a lot of kids, lesbian or working women with or without children, you chances are the same. It is the luck of the draw.

Archived