IGNORED

Jim Bob is such a jackass

donks

Hoping on the ISB....

From my inlaws who are IFB, it seems that their children are encouraged to "accept Jesus" early and get baptised -- so I presume most of the Duggarling have been baptised, especially the older ones. Three of my nieces have been baptised at five years old (one was baptised at four -- she is developmentally challenged, but with what I don't know as her parents have never had her screened. She was home schooled until late last school year and now she's in a "Christian" school where none of the teachers have any quality education. All teachers were home schooled and then went to Fundie bible colleges for a year or so.)

Anyway, what is the point in getting baptised in the River Jordan if you've already been baptised? If it's such a holy thing to do, you can't just say, "well the first one didn't take, so I'm going to do it again." If I could put aside the filth that was in that water, for me, I could reconcile just being in biblically historic water. I wouldn't have to go through the motions of getting re-baptised just because I was there. It seems awfully attention whorish to me, but then again, look who we're talking about....

There are some branches of Christianity that have multiple baptisms. I remember a fundy lite friend of mine saying that her church has a hot tub in it for their monthly baptism.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to thread derail entirely, but isn't that sort of a logic fail? Whether you view baptism as a sacrament or just a religious ceremony, I thought the point of it was that the individual who was baptized was being brought into the covenant and protection of God (in the case of infant baptism, it acted as a kind of Get Out Hell/Limbo Free Card in case you died before you were old enough to be responsible for your own sin). That last part is not so much a thing these days. I've also seen it used in conversions of faith. But in rebaptizing oneself in the same faith, isn't that like saying the first one wasn't good enough? Isn't that kind of sacrilegious? I don't know. Just spit balling.

This episode has made me wonder though, the girls said they bought the ski suits online and that they often look for deals online. Wouldn't that require an evil credit card? I know there are some sites that allow you to use interac (debit) but in Canada they are very few.

Ooooh! Good point! I seem to remember them signing a slip at a store. They'd probably argue that it was a debit card, but I don't have to sign when I use my debit, punching in the PIN is all it requires. When I pull out the CC, THAT'S when I have to sign!

Ooooh! Good point! I seem to remember them signing a slip at a store. They'd probably argue that it was a debit card, but I don't have to sign when I use my debit, punching in the PIN is all it requires. When I pull out the CC, THAT'S when I have to sign!

Fascinating. When we got chip PIN readers they were for debit and credit cards alike. So many differences we don't even know about.

I found it kinda crappy that Josh dragged a pregnant Anna and little Mack there so that THEY could sit in the cabin and babysit and HE could ski. :roll:

Credit cards vs debit cars and buying online...

I have a debit card that some stores treat like a credit card (not really sure of the difference, other than it takes a day or two to show up on my account). Those transactions I have to sign for - the regular debit transactions I just have to enter my PIN.

For online, maybe they have a PayPal account. Even if they have an actual credit card, I'm sure they would say they pay it off in full every month, so it's not really a "debt."

I don't think the Duggar kids are baptized, actually. We've seen 7 Duggar babies born and never seen an infant baptism. We've also seen the older kids grow through their pre-teen years with no "accepting Jesus Christ" baptism either. I'm not sure what the official ATI stance is, but I don't think they believe baptism is a requirement. Which of course raises the question of why they were baptized in the Jordan, but maybe they just figured it was Something You Do when you go to the Holy Land.

But they don't show their church and IFB's (where I'm from anyway) don't do infant baptisms. I've seen dedication ceremonies, but not actual infant baptisms. My IFB sister-in-law was having a discussion with her mother (I couldn't help but overhear, as we were sitting at the same table) about how a friend wanted to come to their church but had only been "sprinkled" and not "immersed", so in order to join their church and truly be saved, she would have to get dunked. Being that they home church, I would bet that they do the baptism in a pool of some sort. Why show their church, when they can show footage of a bird sitting on JB's head?

eta: surely gotherdites believe in baptism. Isn't that one of the main requirements of being a protestant version of Christianity?

I'm no expert but some form of baptism is such a basic Christian requirement that the thought of a church that doesn't perform some type makes my head kind of explode. I'm sure they do it somehow.

I'm sure IFBs must baptize at some point, although not infants since it is baptist, but I don't know any IFB people in real life. As a side note, my church uses water from the Jordan for our (typically infant) baptisms, but it never looks dirty to me. Of course, I suspect the fact that we're only having a small bottle of it poured on our heads and immediately dried off probably has something to do with it...lacking in rats and all...

Also, I can use my debit card like a credit card. I have no idea why. They may do that. Or pay it off immediately (which, in point of fact, Duggars, I ALWAYS do, so guess what? I have no CC debt either! And I didn't need a seminar to tell me to do that or how!).

Edit: Oh, and to add to the original point of this thread, my uncle went skiing with us once and he just flies straight down the mountain out of control, and even though we were CHILDREN it drove us nuts and we yelled at him for being reckless - we've all been skiing since we were quite small. He didn't hit anyone but that's mainly because everyone else had the sense to get out of HIS way. I hate when people ski/board like that. Especially when I'm snowboarding, because I'm none too steady on my feet when they're stuck to the same bit...Skiing, fine, I'll avoid you, no problem. But snowboarding??? BOOM!

You can't buy vaccines used and save the difference, so I doubt those kids have received any. The massive chicken pox outbreak confirms that they're at least not receiving all of the recommended vaccines.

Catching pox from strangers is FREE, duh...

Wouldn't be surprised if they went to a fundie Pox Party. Those things freak me the hell out. Satire of them is only wrong by a little bit.

I always think of the south park episode where Kyle and Kenny play 'Oookie Mouth' and the Simpsons where Maggie bathes in the punch bowl.

::shudders::

I'm no expert but some form of baptism is such a basic Christian requirement that the thought of a church that doesn't perform some type makes my head kind of explode. I'm sure they do it somehow.

It's not a requirement in my parents' non-denominational Protestant church. It's encouraged as a public statement of belief but isn't considered necessary for salvation.

IIRC Jim Bob said something about all the kids already being baptised but Amy wasn't.

From my religious studies; whether baptism should be done once, many times or is not important at all varies from church to church and even person to person within a church.

Not only that (vaccines) but consider some of them got into the river to be baptised-with huge rats swimming around them. Who knows what diseases those things were carrying!

:scared-eek:

Is there a better link to the whole episode? I tried to follow it, and it didn't work, and all I got with a cursory google search was a 1 1/2 minute snippet.

I couldn't get it to work either and I would love to see this!

Archived