IGNORED

Inashoe referenced on non-fundie women's finance blog

Daisy4

I signed up for emails from this website a few weeks ago because they seemed to have some good financial advice. They are not fundie at all and even had a recent article on maternity leave, so they are obviously aimed at working moms.

Well I was horrified today when the email I got suggested that I take advice from Kim C from inashoe.

http://dailyworth.com/posts/1266-The-Fo ... u-Hack-It-

I already commented but thought some fjers might want to comment too.

Those beds? :shock: I'd get seriously claustrophobic in one of those. There aren't any rails, and they don't look very wide, either; I'd worry about the kids falling off.

What if they have a nightmare or hear a scary sound? My automatic response for both is to sit up straight in bed. In those beds? Ouch!

Yup. Last time I slept in a regular bunk bed I managed to hit my head on the one above, and that was with *almost* enough space to sit up.

Some wise person (an FJer, no doubt) posted this in the comments:

I can't believe your article links to this inashoe blog. I would never take advice from a woman who saves money and space by stacking her children on industrial shelving to sleep: inashoe.com/?s=bunks

Or one that beats her baby into staying on a blanket:

inashoe.com/2006/09/bla...

This was the reply

A) If you read the post about blanket training, you would see she does not "beat her baby". Training a child by saying firmly saying "no" is not beating.

B) If you read the post about the beds, they had a 3rd bedroom, but changed it into a library at their own children's request. With that many children, each having their own room is not realistic. I library is certainly more useful to all those children. What would you do to save space?

The blog is pretty industrious for a family of 12 children. She's got some clever ideas, you should read them more thoroughly.

Sigh. :roll: Fine, she has a few clever ideas. She also does, in fact, beat her babies. And what would I do to save space? Have fewer children, or build myself a bigger house.

That's a big accusation.Please show me where she has ever hit a baby. And no, she does not use the blanket training any more as she considers all those older kids and she and her husband enough eyes to keep baby out of trouble; it doesn't seem like she has for a while either.

I

loved and used blanket training for some of my older children back when I didn’t have so many helpers. Now Parker has eyes on him everywhere he goes, nearly every minute of the day so he has learned his boundaries differently.

Please show me where she has ever hit a baby.

Why certainly. Here you go:

When a baby makes a noise, instead of smiling and responding or trying to distract her, we shush her firmly: whisper “no!†in a soft but firm voice. The second time, she gets another “no†accompanied by a thump on the cheek or leg...How hard the baby gets thumped depends much on the baby. Some need just a firm voice to get the idea; others need a firm hand.

You can read the full post for yourself here:

inashoe.com/2006/09/babbling-babies-in-church/

Kim is consistently very clear about her family's belief that "training" should start from an early age.

Why certainly. Here you go:

You can read the full post for yourself here:

inashoe.com/2006/09/babbling-babies-in-church/

Kim is consistently very clear about her family's belief that "training" should start from an early age.

Omg... I am still trying to familiarize myself with a lot of a the fundie blogs, and this one was new to me. That just makes me want to cry. Thump... they call it thump? They're smacking their baby across the CHEEK when it makes a noise??? I am truly sick to my stomach. What a horrible person.

Yeah, I've noticed that for some reason "thump" seems to be the fundie verb of choice for hitting babies, as opposed to older kids. See also 'train', 'correct'... so many euphemisms.

LIAS is so random. Sometimes the posts make them seem almost normal, then Kim will throw out a real zinger like this one. Her kids seem so spirited, especially for fundie girls, and I hope some of them will have the strength to do their own thing when they grow up.

Some wise person (an FJer, no doubt) posted this in the comments:

This was the reply

Sigh. :roll: Fine, she has a few clever ideas. She also does, in fact, beat her babies. And what would I do to save space? Have fewer children, or build myself a bigger house.

Well, that really confirms that MP Dunleavey has issues as well. I actually used to read her articles when I was a member of the MSN Money boards, before they closed them. She was a pretty big presence over there. I know sometimes non-fundie types don't really do their homework on the blogs that they link, so I was willing to give her a pass when all she was advocating was knowing how to count the cost of your meals. However...knowing that she is fully aware of KimC's background and still considers her a good source of advice, I would have to change my opinion.

And seriously, a library is more useful to a family of almost-13 than bedrooms? No one is suggesting that each child needs their own room, but in that tiny house you do not have the luxury of a library.

No doubt these so-called wise finance folks thinks LiaS is really on to a great idea by not having any air conditioning. In South Texas. In the freaking summer. When temps never drop below 90. Last year, we had about a month of 110 degrees PLUS and the months on either side of that were terrible too.

On the other hand, I call that child abuse. They have a choice to turn on the a/c and they choose not to in order to save a few bucks.

Kim and her husband routinely travel to Oregon and leave the kids home alone.

Why not pack up their old van, the one they've undoubtedly paid for in cash, and drive the whole family up there to leach off relatives for a few months in the summer? It's not like they have to worry about school, and they seem to enjoy living like sardines.

The fact that the financial person thinks Kim has anything helpful to say about finances speaks volumes about the priorities of the financial person, and not in a good way.

Well, that really confirms that MP Dunleavey has issues as well. I actually used to read her articles when I was a member of the MSN Money boards, before they closed them. She was a pretty big presence over there. I know sometimes non-fundie types don't really do their homework on the blogs that they link, so I was willing to give her a pass when all she was advocating was knowing how to count the cost of your meals. However...knowing that she is fully aware of KimC's background and still considers her a good source of advice, I would have to change my opinion.

And seriously, a library is more useful to a family of almost-13 than bedrooms? No one is suggesting that each child needs their own room, but in that tiny house you do not have the luxury of a library.

And seriously, in the days of ebooks, who really *needs* a library anymore apart for say, technical books and manuals? Neither Kim or Perry need the kind of books only available in print. Ebooks are almost always cheaper than print versions, apart from cheap paperbacks which aren't public domain yet eg 'Golden Age' detective novels, and even then you can just use public libraries for that. All my print books are from the public library, including graphic novels.

Oh, I have to disagree: There is something about real books that cannot be replaced by ebooks: The sound of turning pages, the smell of books (whether new, or found in a second hand store), of lying on your back in a field losing yourself in the pages of a book. That is a personal opinion, of course :)

Oh, I have to disagree: There is something about real books that cannot be replaced by ebooks: The sound of turning pages, the smell of books (whether new, or found in a second hand store), of lying on your back in a field losing yourself in the pages of a book. That is a personal opinion, of course :)

I think fluttershies was talking about a want/preference over a need. If you've got 12 kids and two rooms, then you don't *need* a library full of real life books while stacking kids on costco shelves in the other room. At that point, it definitely would be cheaper and wiser to shell out for a couple of e-readers to pass around and make use of the public library so you don't have children in an unsafe and unpleasant sleeping situation.

I agree. I hate e-books with a passion and love real books. I was devastated when Borders, the only bookstore in my city!, closed.

I feel this way, too. I have an ereader and way more paper books than I have space for; I refuse to actually *buy* ebooks, but the ereaders great for public domain, online literary magazines, and library ebooks. That said, if I had 9 kids sleeping in one bedroom I'd sell the books and get the kids ereaders/library cards (well, my imaginary children would have library cards from toddlerdom).

I think fluttershies was talking about a want/preference over a need. If you've got 12 kids and two rooms, then you don't *need* a library full of real life books while stacking kids on costco shelves in the other room. At that point, it definitely would be cheaper and wiser to shell out for a couple of e-readers to pass around and make use of the public library so you don't have children in an unsafe and unpleasant sleeping situation.

Yeah, all that. But they probably can't get e-readers because Vision Forum doesn't release their publications in an ebook format :roll:

They still need a library for school materials, they're basically running a 1-room schoolhouse.

My son goes to an elementary school that both has a library and uses the public library, but his teacher still has shelves and shelves of materials - books at different reading levels, books to copy worksheets & spelling sheets out of, visual books like puzzle and math problem books, art books, stuff like that. Plus, the kids need some place to study/do work - tables, chairs, art supplies, stuff like that.

I mean, assuming she actually teaches them anything.

Couldn't they build a shed to store school supplies in or something? I get the need to store lots of books and other materials when you've got a bunch of kids, but taking one of the three available bedrooms (thereby forcing all 10 kids into one small room) is really not ok.

Couldn't they build a shed to store school supplies in or something? I get the need to store lots of books and other materials when you've got a bunch of kids, but taking one of the three available bedrooms (thereby forcing all 10 kids into one small room) is really not ok.

We live in a small apartment. We also have a collection of books and stuff. I store them in bins under beds, in kitchen cabinets that I don't use, under the coffee table, over the bedroom door, etc. There is no need to shove all the kids in a tiny room just so you can have books. Real creativity means finding places for books that don't put people in uncomfortable living situations, and let's be clear here kids are people.

4505426383_e53d4fece1.jpg

We've gone almost completely to e-books at home. Cookbooks are more convenient on a Kindle Fire, and leisure reading is great on the regular Kindle.

We have a toddler who views bookshelves as lovely things to climb on, and even anchored to the wall that's a safety hazard. She also finds it great fun to pull books off the shelves. I gave my husband his Kindle for Christmas and we got rid of the bookshelf! One less thing for me to dust and keep organized, too. She has two small bookshelves in her room and in the family room for board books/children's books.

For grad school and work reference, obviously books still have a place.

Archived