IGNORED

the movie, Carrie to be re-made again

donks

It's been re-made before, and it's gonna be re-made again.

Nothing could ever replace the original... And it got me to thinking: the only way it could be remade was to go for realism in the crazy: cast Michelle Duggar as Mrs. White, the ultra religious nutjob of a mom.

Jana Duggar as the shy, meek oh-so-downtrodden daughter, Carrie!

Oh hell, I want Jana to drench everyone who's wronged her with pig's blood in real life.

Like she'd ever be allowed to go to the prom. :(

Thinking about Carrie's weird, hyper religious mother. When I read the book several decades ago she seemed so out there, and unusual.

Now, she's not all that unusual. Weird and out there, yes. But not really that unusual. Times change, but not always for the better.

DIRTY PILLOWS!

I remember being astounded and puzzled by that term as a 10 year old. Why I was watching Carrie at age 10, I don;t know, but yeah,

I loves my dirty pillows.

And he TOOK ME and I LIKED IT.... I cannot think of those lines without hearing the wild voice inflections of Carrie's mom. THey are going to have a hard time meeting that performance.

Thinking about Carrie's weird, hyper religious mother. When I read the book several decades ago she seemed so out there, and unusual.

Now, she's not all that unusual. Weird and out there, yes. But not really that unusual. Times change, but not always for the better.

True that.

I heard about this remake a few weeks ago. Most horror movie remakes are bad. Carrie was remade in 2002 as a TV movie for NBC. That remake wasn't that bad. It was based more on the book than the 1976 version was. Patricia Clarkson did an ok job as Margaret White. As for this upcoming remake, I think Chloe Moretz is the wrong choice. For some reason, I think Jennifer Lawrence would be better to play Carrie.

I've read the book a few times. In 2002 edition, Stephen King talked about the real life people that inspired the characters for Carrie. Carrie was based on two girls he went school with during elementary and high school. One of the girls was painfully shy and wore odd clothes. The other was similar but she had a very religious mother. As a teenager, Stephen did a few odd jobs for the religious mother and he talked about an incident in which the mother bought a big crucifix that freaked him out.

I'm thinking more of Sarah Maxwell as Carrie. Then get Steve-O in drag as Carrie's mother.

I'm thinking more of Sarah Maxwell as Carrie. Then get Steve-O in drag as Carrie's mother.

:lol: :lol:

I read Carrie when I was about thirteen but have never seen the film. The cover was so gross - as was the content! That was the first adult horror book I ever read.

:lol: at Sarah being Carrie.

Of the Duggar girls, I'd cast Jill rather than Jana. Jill's usually so quiet and though she maintains the cheery/feary expression, she seems very beat down, TBH. I could just see her snapping, especially if she got into the real world like Carrie and had to deal with real life issues without her parents both holding her back and shielding her from it.

I never thought of it that way, but you're 100% right.

We read Carrie in high school (that alone will show you times have changed, even in less than 2 decades -- I doubt Carrie is even allowed in schools any more, let alone required reading for any school, there are things banned for much less now!) and it was slightly funny how loony Carrie's mother was. It was a freakshow factor, most of us had never seen or heard anything like it before and it was like a caricature on a dark sitcom or something, not the kind of person who could ever be real.

Now, even had I never read the book or seen the movies, I doubt the mother would have much shock value as a character. We see them on the news every few days, after all.

Oh hell, I want Jana to drench everyone who's wronged her with pig's blood in real life.

Like she'd ever be allowed to go to the prom. :(

Or get anything resembling an education.

Is there an original idea out there anymore?

No body wants original ideas anymore (except independent film makers) because they don't have the same guarantee of profit. Don't worry, eventually the remake industry will tank, when people finally catch on that remakes turn out to be crap.

No body wants original ideas anymore (except independent film makers) because they don't have the same guarantee of profit. Don't worry, eventually the remake industry will tank, when people finally catch on that remakes turn out to be crap.

Movie-goers are tired of remakes of classics that we've all seen. Comic book movies get away with it because comic books reboot every now and then, so it's not really a remake (no way in hell could the Christian Bale Batman franchise be seen as a remake of the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer/WTF George Cloony franchise). Rooster Cogburn got away with it because, really, not a lot of younger people have seen the John Wayne original. Try remaking Gone with the Wind, or Wizard of Oz, or Grease, or Carrie, or any of those that younger viewers have seen, and it's almost a recipe for a flop. Those who love the original of whatever it is are going to hesitate to see a new one, and those who didn't like it are not going to want to bother. Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good example of how it takes a MAJOR name just to cause enough conflict between fans of the original and fans of the new name to keep from completely panning it. Carrie isn't doing that.

Of the Duggar girls, I'd cast Jill rather than Jana. Jill's usually so quiet and though she maintains the cheery/feary expression, she seems very beat down, TBH. I could just see her snapping, especially if she got into the real world like Carrie and had to deal with real life issues without her parents both holding her back and shielding her from it.
OMG, you just read my mind! The other poster who said "Jana" as Carrie meant well, going for her wholesome,

movie-star looks is one thing, but JILL hits the nail on the head with her stringy hair and mousey demeanor! JILL! JILL! JILL!

This does not really have anything to do with the remake movie, but Anna Duggar looks like Sissy Spacek did in the original movie. Can you imagine Anna in that scene where Tommy the prom date shows up at her door asking her to prom because he liked her poem? Or when they were dancing at the prom? Especially when Anna was first engaged to Josh and her shyness and awe?

I think with what we now know about fundamentalism, cults, and all of the hypocrisy that goes along with it, the remake could have a lot more relevance and be more nuanced than it was before. I don't think that Stephen King was thinking about Michelle Duggar when he wrote Carrie but she makes for one crazy bitch, queen of the hive. I can just imagine. Too bad we can't do some of the screen writing for this one.

OMG, you just read my mind! The other poster who said "Jana" as Carrie meant well, going for her wholesome,

movie-star looks is one thing, but JILL hits the nail on the head with her stringy hair and mousey demeanor! JILL! JILL! JILL!

I think you mean, "DILLLLL! DIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

I saw the movie as a kid and it upset me so much that I hated John Travolta for years. I didn't forgive him until look who's talking came out. Now I am pissed at him again but because he is hanging with them whack-jobs CS.

DIRTY PILLOWS!

I remember being astounded and puzzled by that term as a 10 year old. Why I was watching Carrie at age 10, I don;t know, but yeah,

I loves my dirty pillows.

And he TOOK ME and I LIKED IT.... I cannot think of those lines without hearing the wild voice inflections of Carrie's mom. THey are going to have a hard time meeting that performance.

Yeah it seems like i watched all manner of wildly inappropriate things. My mother wasn't at all monitering my viewing!

Archived