IGNORED

Maxwell's Mothers Day post:

Justme

Well, I'm going to judge. My father had Alzheimer's for the last twenty years of his life--thankfully a slow progression--but in his last few years, he did not generally know who I was when I visited, which I did about four times a year (I live >1500 miles away, so going to see him was no small effort or expense). My sister, who lived near him, was at the nursing home every night to get Dad ready for bed. My visits to Dad were (1) for those brief moments of recognition, (2) out of love and respect for who he was--I remembered who he had been even if he didn't, and (3) to give my sister a little break. Steve could go once a month, show respect to his father, model good behavior to his children--how exactly does he expect them to treat him if he ends up old and forgetful? right now he's teaching them to stash him away and forget about him--and give his sister a break.

I sit in judgement too. One of my family members has Dementia, but I go and see her several times a month. I play cards with her, I talk to her - even if she doesn't know who I am at that exact moment, she will recognise me at some point.

And she likes to see me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes no difference that Mom doesn't "remember" Steve. He need to be there to make sure her clothes are clean, she's eating, her hygine is kept up, she's no bed sores, etc. One on the 10 commandments tells us to HONOR our parents. I see very little honoring on Steve's end.

Guest Anonymous
It makes no difference that Mom doesn't "remember" Steve. He need to be there to make sure her clothes are clean, she's eating, her hygine is kept up, she's no bed sores, etc. One on the 10 commandments tells us to HONOR our parents. I see very little honoring on Steve's end.

And as we were taught in Sunday School, it's the only conditional commandment.... never mind, it could be a blessed blessing all round, if Steve's days turn out not to be very long, in the land the Lord his God gave him.... ;)

Except that he'll probably spike the kool-aid and take the rest of his cult with him.

And as we were taught in Sunday School, it's the only conditional commandment.... never mind, it could be a blessed blessing all round, if Steve's days turn out not to be very long, in the land the Lord his God gave him.... ;)

What is a "conditional commandment? I googled, but it wasn't helpful.

Guest Anonymous

It is the only commandment with a condition or promise attached...

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Except that he'll probably spike the kool-aid and take the rest of his cult with him.

What is the whole 'kool-aid' thing? I've never quite understood.

Jim Jones was a cult leader in the 70s. He moved his group to Guyana, away from watchful eyes. When investigators came to his compound to see what was going on, he and all of his followers committed mass suicide by drinking kool aid laced with cyanide. They even fed it to their children.

to drink the kool aid = to believe in some culty sort of thing so much that you'd kill yourself and your kids if The Leader told you to.

(eta: my Jim Jones history is from memory. For more accurate info, google him.)

Looks like the 'marge' comment has been pulled.

I've just left another one asking Steve if he includes his parents.

I went to Sunday school, too. I was never taught it was "conditional". I was taught all 10 were laws given by God to Moses.

And I was 'honoured' by a personal reply, via email none the less, from Steve! Complete with handslap!

“We include Teri’s parents on Mother’s day.â€

You said: I think that grandparents day is nothing more than a ploy to get people to spend money so my children always buy presents and cards for both sets of grandparents on Mother’s day, just the same as I always did.

Do you include your parents too?

Of course, don't you?

Steve Maxwell

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." (John 3:36)

"Remember me as you pass by,

as you are now so once was I,

as I am now, you are to be,

so be prepared to follow me."

Words found on a gravestone

OUCH!

Well of course I couldn't let that go, so I replied;

That was rather curt of you Mr Maxwell. If you read my comments, I had already said that I include my parents and my husband's parents in Mother's day celebrations. I also said that my children include grandparents too. I asked about your parents as you specifically said that you include Mrs Maxwell's parents, you didn't say whether or not you included your own.

Regards

Mrs XXXXX

Guest Anonymous

I went to Sunday school, too. I was never taught it was "conditional". I was taught all 10 were laws given by God to Moses.

I was just making a joke about something I was taught 30 years ago and probably several thousand miles from your Sunday School! :lol:

Sunday School was all about teaching children to behave nicely, and the "honour they father and mother" commandment was a favourite... I don't get what you mean about having been taught that the commandments having all been given by God to Moses... so were we, it was also emphasised *gasp, children* that our lives would be longer if we honoured our parents...!111!! (http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/th ... -41918.asp)

Guest Anonymous
And I was 'honoured' by a personal reply, via email none the less, from Steve! Complete with handslap!

OUCH!

Well of course I couldn't let that go, so I replied;

:lol: God's gonna strike you down for that one, Sola!

I love the reference to the gravestone inscription at the end. :roll: Steve just can't miss an opportunity to talk about his good friend Death.

I love the reference to the gravestone inscription at the end. :roll: Steve just can't miss an opportunity to talk about his good friend Death.

This is the anti-Steve song:

32jyJurG3Ts

Jim Jones was a cult leader in the 70s. He moved his group to Guyana, away from watchful eyes. When investigators came to his compound to see what was going on, he and all of his followers committed mass suicide by drinking kool aid laced with cyanide. They even fed it to their children.

to drink the kool aid = to believe in some culty sort of thing so much that you'd kill yourself and your kids if The Leader told you to.

(eta: my Jim Jones history is from memory. For more accurate info, google him.)

Cheers for that. I remember seeing a documentary on this a few years ago, but didn't realise it was Kool aid that was drunk.

I thought that kool aid was snarked on here, as I persumed it was some sort of cheap drink with zero nutritional value, i.e. typical Dugger fare.

:lol: God's gonna strike you down for that one, Sola!

He's replied, and apologised! With no doubt a little dig at FJ:

Yes, I'm sorry it was. Your comments was in the style of several malicious ones I've had who really don't care about my parents but are looking at things to fuss at us about.

Steve Maxwell

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." (John 3:36)

"Remember me as you pass by,

as you are now so once was I,

as I am now, you are to be,

so be prepared to follow me."

Words found on a gravestone

However he is missing the point.

Dear Steve, I'm pretty sure you read here so I'll leave this here. Here's the thing, why do you think people criticise you? Let me give you a clue; you preach all about 'family' but with you this is a hypocrisy. Your mother for example; I understand you have a few issues with her, you have implied as much in your Corners. Right now your mother is no doubt a shadow of her former self due to her alzheimer's. She is STILL your mother Steve. She might not remember you, she might be so far off into La La land that she doesn't even know who she herself is, but she is STILL. YOUR. MOTHER.

I understand that you cannot visit that often, but I know you could visit more than you. Maybe it is a long drive there, but you could at the very least make that journey a couple of times a month. You have no nine to five job you have to adhere to so you could realistically go once per week even. But you don't. Why?

You preach about family and hold yours up as an example, yet when one looks past the façade, you are nothing more than a paranoid isolationist who is clipping the wings of his daughter and abandoning his mother.

What will your god have to say about that?

He's replied, and apologised! With no doubt a little dig at FJ:

However he is missing the point.

Dear Steve, I'm pretty sure you read here so I'll leave this here. Here's the thing, why do you think people criticise you? Let me give you a clue; you preach all about 'family' but with you this is a hypocrisy. Your mother for example; I understand you have a few issues with her, you have implied as much in your Corners. Right now your mother is no doubt a shadow of her former self due to her alzheimer's. She is STILL your mother Steve. She might not remember you, she might be so far off into La La land that she doesn't even know who she herself is, but she is STILL. YOUR. MOTHER.

I understand that you cannot visit that often, but I know you could visit more than you. Maybe it is a long drive there, but you could at the very least make that journey a couple of times a month. You have no nine to five job you have to adhere to so you could realistically go once per week even. But you don't. Why?

You preach about family and hold yours up as an example, yet when one looks past the façade, you are nothing more than a paranoid isolationist who is clipping the wings of his daughter and abandoning his mother.

What will your god have to say about that?

RESPECT.

Cheers for that. I remember seeing a documentary on this a few years ago, but didn't realise it was Kool aid that was drunk.

I thought that kool aid was snarked on here, as I persumed it was some sort of cheap drink with zero nutritional value, i.e. typical Dugger fare.

Actually, it was Flavor Aid. I didn't learn until recently that some of the people didn't drink voluntarily.

we had a picnic in the van as we approached Omaha

Q: What do birds say when they fly over Steve Maxwell?

A. Cheap Cheap :lol:

edited to add: oh fuck wrong thread.

Q: What do birds say when they fly over Steve Maxwell?

A. Cheap Cheap :lol:

edited to add: oh fuck wrong thread.

But we're laughing anyway! :)

It is the only commandment with a condition or promise attached...

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thanks.

I think what anniec was saying is that IF we honor our parents, THEN we'll live long in the country God gave us. It's the grammatical construction of IF/THEN.

Archived