IGNORED

Another loveless courtship story

terranova

jackmcdonnell.blogspot.com

I'm not sure what it is about this story that squicks me out, maybe it's just the courtship.

Ironically, considering the topic of the post, I don't see any actual love in those photos.

I think the asking dad permission is the creepy part? And the "I love you" after 3 months. And his terrible writing style "little did I know..."

Other than that I didn't think it was that bad. They emailed and met each other and got to know each other before they started "dating". They call it dating, not courtship, it's been 6 months and they aren't engaged (or are they? it actually doesn't say). I can't judge their love from the photos, they look like a couple.

"....a common like of shrimp, gummy bears and Dr.Pepper! I NEED to meet this girl!" :|

Because those are very very rare attributes.

And why do they keep saying "Ohhh, her countenance!" C'mon, man. Just say it. You thought she was cute. A countenance is a facial expression or a mode of behavior. You can't see her behavior from a picture. Moving on.

I do approve of the less crazy-crazy dating. It seems like they actually went out and did things WITHOUT CHAPERONES, OMGZ! And she looks like she has a job and thoughts of her own. And they TOUCH EACH OTHER IN PHOTOS.

Six whole months, though. Shouldn't they be married and preggers already?

Overall, not too bad. Better than Duggars.

My one final impression: LEARN TO WRITE PROPERLY. I seriously want to beat myself in the face with a frying pan when I read some of these fundie blogs. They try and talk fancy, and they fail. They write speeches [LOOKING AT YOU, SMUGGAR] and sound like fifth graders giving reports on the annual rainfall in the Amazon basin.

I can't tolerate how the Duggars use words and skew their meanings - Jurisdictions, defraud, etc. I'm in law school. It causes me physical pain when people don't use words exactly as they are meant to, because if you say the wrong thing, you're screwed.

Annnnd I'm rambling and getting off topic. So let us watch Spongebob :character-spongebobdance:

totally agree on the "sweet countenance" thing. ummm what the hell? i'd never in all my life heard this kind of talk until being introduced to fundydom. and you're right, you can't tell someone's countenance from a FB pic, you can however, tell that they are hot. I wish fundies could just say that they found someone attractive. It's like they are afraid to admit that physical attraction has ANYTHING to do with love.

also, i don't think it's super weird to say "I love you" after 3 months. My husband and I said it at 3 months and we're not crazy...at least i don't think we are :)

edited due to misuse of their, there and they're

I think the asking dad permission is the creepy part? And the "I love you" after 3 months. And his terrible writing style "little did I know..."

Other than that I didn't think it was that bad. They emailed and met each other and got to know each other before they started "dating". They call it dating, not courtship, it's been 6 months and they aren't engaged (or are they? it actually doesn't say). I can't judge their love from the photos, they look like a couple.

what is weird about I love you after 3 months? Seems pretty on time....

what is weird about I love you after 3 months? Seems pretty on time....

Hmm really? I thought it was a bit early especially for these guys who had only just met (rather than being friends before). But maybe all my relationships have been slow :lol:

It just seems from the other stories that they basically say it as soon as they decide to go out and then they get engaged all in one. Maybe these guys are different though.

Well, to be fair, he does follow the "countenance" thing right up with "I thought she was attractive." However....I don't know, I really hate to make this kind assumption, but the guy totally pings my radar, and they don't look like they are "in love" to me - rather like two close friends. But who knows?

ETA: the post on Nicole's birthday made my eyes roll out of my head. I'm sure Teh LORD really gives a fuck if you have nice weather for a picnic. And the matching clothes. Seriously, apart from Red Sox fans, I've only ever seen fundie couples do this on purpose.

If my husband would have asked my dad for permission to date, I would have been extremely offended and there would have been no dating going on.

They do seem genuinely happy, I think it's the fundie approved writing style that literally sucks the life and joy out of the story. They seems to be more balanced than many fundies as well.

She's a very pretty gal...and has a great sense of style. She's proof that you don't have to look frumpy to be modest.

I very jokingly said, "I need to meet this girl, lol!"

Wow, he talks like that in person, not just when he is typing?

And why the fuck is everything "amazing!!!" I am so sick of that word. Folks seem to go around in a constant state of amazement for lack of better adjectives.

And what is with making a nice-looking laminated plank then using it to crappily paint an unoriginal "love" in a font that makes it a knockoff of the Robert Indiana sculpture. Now what are they going to do with that??

So many levels of annoying EW.

And what is with making a nice-looking laminated plank then using it to crappily paint an unoriginal "love" in a font that makes it a knockoff of the Robert Indiana sculpture. Now what are they going to do with that??

I was wondering that as well. I thought they were making a table at first...but apparently it will serve it's purpose as a giant plank with L<3VE written on it.

The relationship seems pretty damn normal by fundie standards, besides the whole "asking the father permission" thing.

My one final impression: LEARN TO WRITE PROPERLY. I seriously want to beat myself in the face with a frying pan when I read some of these fundie blogs. They try and talk fancy, and they fail. They write speeches [LOOKING AT YOU, SMUGGAR] and sound like fifth graders giving reports on the annual rainfall in the Amazon basin.

I can't tolerate how the Duggars use words and skew their meanings - Jurisdictions, defraud, etc. I'm in law school. It causes me physical pain when people don't use words exactly as they are meant to, because if you say the wrong thing, you're screwed.

Annnnd I'm rambling and getting off topic. So let us watch Spongebob :character-spongebobdance:

Did you read her telling of the story?

"I learned that he didn't live but two hours from me..."

*tears hair out*

OK, a couple of comments about this blog in general:

1) Yet again with the blog being named after just the father and nobody else? You'd think Jack McDonnell personally birthed all those kids himself. His wife isn't even mentioned! Actually, not I'm confused. Is Jack the father or just one of the sons? If he's the son, then why make the blog header with all his siblings? And still, his future wife is not mentioned in the title of the blog. Who is that in the picture under "the bloggers"? Is it his sister (who also doesn't get a mention)? I'm confused by this.

2) If you scroll down a little, there's a post with the courting couple wearing matching shirts :roll: Why are fundies so weird about this? Well, at least the t-shirts are different colors. Also, why post a picture of a sandwich? Do they think it's artistic or something?

3) Those are some pretty short skirts I'm seeing on these fundie girls. They may seem "feminine" but they are absolutely not more modest than wearing pants.

When I saw that she had a common like of shrimp, gummy bears and Dr. Pepper and I very jokingly said, "I need to meet this girl, lol!"

A lot of people like these things.

The only thing that has to do with love in that post is the sign they made. Otherwise it was, "Saw a girl on Facebook, she commended on a photo of mine, I saw her blog and we both like three common things which means twue wuv, we met up at a photography convention, a few months later I asked her dad if I could date her, and it is now six months later and I'm sharing this with you in more words than is needed.'

Except for the "asking her father's permission to date" thing, I didn't find them strange at all. The board with "LOVE" on it that they made is at least a project they were doing together. It could be worse--remember all those pictures of fundies killing chickens? They both like photography and share religious beliefs, which is important. And they're DATING, not courting. As far as crazy fundies go, these aren't all that strange. At least to me.

They seem nice, happy, and like their relationship is reasonably normal to me.

The writing makes me want to cry, but oh well.

I really hate to make this kind assumption, but the guy totally pings my radar, and they don't look like they are "in love" to me - rather like two close friends. But who knows?

i totally got the same vibe...

So they've been dating for 6 months and known eachother for under two years... yet they feel the need to "share" their story with the world? Dude, if I went spewing my "happiness" all over the internet everytime I dated someone for 6 months I'd make a horrible mess! Come back when you've been married 25 years, thanks!

The relationship seems pretty damn normal by fundie standards, besides the whole "asking the father permission" thing.

Did you read her telling of the story?

"I learned that he didn't live but two hours from me..."

*tears hair out*

Thank you EVER SO MUCH for pointing this out!

I try to refrain from rolling my eyes when I read blogs and posts by fundies who do this crap. Jennie's forum is particularly awful for it.

So they've been dating for 6 months and known eachother for under two years... yet they feel the need to "share" their story with the world? Dude, if I went spewing my "happiness" all over the internet everytime I dated someone for 6 months I'd make a horrible mess! Come back when you've been married 25 years, thanks!

But...they know the secret to everlasting happiness!! Those of us with our spouses and permanent significant others for years have a thing or two to learn from their perfect dating relationship! Like how those of us without living dads are fucked because there's no one to make sure we aren't spoiled goods. You hear that, Fellas? Avoid the fatherless ladies! Guaranteed spoiled fruit! You must talk to the dads, or else it's all doomed. DOOOOOMED!

3) Those are some pretty short skirts I'm seeing on these fundie girls. They may seem "feminine" but they are absolutely not more modest than wearing pants.

Having something between their legs is seen as symbolic of having a penis between their legs, which is why a shorter skirt is more "feminine" and "modest" than a pair of nice-fitting slacks. A couple ex-fundy friends of mine I only recently found out were fundy before we met have said that even wearing underwear is frowned on in some circles, and since tampons aren't allowed, having periods meant something had to go between the legs, which meant sin! One of them was from a free-bleed fundy family, which is where you just bleed all over, and keep towels under you and don't go in public. Talk about gross. At least when there are options, like access to pads. It's not the same when you're in a tribe in Africa or something without access. But in America, if you've got sanitation products, use them. It's not sinful, it's not a penis.

It could be worse--remember all those pictures of fundies killing chickens?

Oh that made me so angry...it was all "praise god" while they slaughter...so gross. Do they really think god wants them to cause harm and pain to other creatures as a fun family event?

1) Yet again with the blog being named after just the father and nobody else? You'd think Jack McDonnell personally birthed all those kids himself. His wife isn't even mentioned! Actually, not I'm confused. Is Jack the father or just one of the sons? If he's the son, then why make the blog header with all his siblings? And still, his future wife is not mentioned in the title of the blog. Who is that in the picture under "the bloggers"? Is it his sister (who also doesn't get a mention)? I'm confused by this.

I wondered the same thing, it looks like the photo is all the kids? Or some super young parents. But I'm not sure who's in charge.

I too want to gag when I see the fundies in their matching outfits- same colors or same shirt, different colors- GAG! Is that in the fundie play book? Thou shalt wear matching colors when courting and after marriage. Is this so the other fundies know which couples are courting or are married? You have to find their matching mate in the big crowd of fundies at the home church gathering or broomball game? They think it looks cute. I think it just looks stupid.

my husband and i have never worn matching outfits. is this a sign of impending divorce???

totally agree on the "sweet countenance" thing. ummm what the hell? i'd never in all my life heard this kind of talk until being introduced to fundydom. and you're right, you can't tell someone's countenance from a FB pic, you can however, tell that they are hot. I wish fundies could just say that they found someone attractive. It's like they are afraid to admit that physical attraction has ANYTHING to do with love.

also, i don't think it's super weird to say "I love you" after 3 months. My husband and I said it at 3 months and we're not crazy...at least i don't think we are :)

When I read/hear people using the word Countenance I think of Jane Austen. Jane's "Persuasian" to be exact when Mary Elliott Musgrove asks Anne Elliott, after they spot their cousin at the beach they are visiting, "Does he have the elliott countenence?"

This young man reads Jane Austen.

edited due to misuse of their, there and they're

That's gross.

I know the question has been asked before, but I'll ask it again. Why are so many fundies obsessed with photography? Is this Jack character really making money off of photography?

I guess I could look for myself but I might be too lazy.

Archived