IGNORED

This chick is off her nut.... Lori on First Aid

but but you guys this is serious! One commenter had her sons vacced against chicken pox and a year later one of them developed diabetes!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and I agree with you about lupus being about forever

but I was always taught the name was from the marks on the face of the classic facial rash

lupus from wolf, either that the mask on the face resembled a wolfs markings symetrically on the nose and cheeks

and erythematosus as the skin lesions are red

though I stand to be corrected

The "lupus" part has a couple of just so stories about how it came to stand for the disease. That one sounds probable, but is there evidence that's what caused the term to be used? I don't know, could well be, I've just heard a few different explanations. Destructive leg ulcers, looking like wolf bites? The butterfly face rash, looking like a wolf's markings? Or French "wolf" masks?

I think the holistic/allopathic medicine wars have gotten as bad as the mommy wars. It irks me quite a bit because there's plenty of room for a good middle ground.

There are certain herbal medications that are totally awesome and I much prefer them to chemical medicines. Thing is, though, they're all for mild stuff. They don't set broken bones or screen for cancer or take care of serious infections. For that kind of stuff, modern medicine truly is a miracle.

Agreed. I have no problem with herbal medicines being used for things like colds and PMS. I think the distinction is in whether the cause needs to be treated or just the symptoms. I can suck it up and deal with a cold without meds, but I'll take honey, lemon, and ginger to ease the discomfort.

Second-degree burn, though? I'd get my ass to A&E.

I have my great grandmother's book of home remedies, but even she knew the remedies were more or less just to soothe or ease pain and not real medicine. I just don't get the reasoning behind these people who don't trust doctors or vaccines. I just don't.

I have my great grandmother's book of home remedies, but even she knew the remedies were more or less just to soothe or ease pain and not real medicine. I just don't get the reasoning behind these people who don't trust doctors or vaccines. I just don't.

I wonder what it's going to take to get it through these people's heads that those old timey diseases they refuse to have their kids vaxxed for are just downright NASTY? An epidemic of massive proportions, with kids dying or being deformed or badly damaged?

This is such a new thing...when I was a kid, the whole neighborhood, everyone who could, went down to the high school and got a rubella shot when it became available. The same was true when the polio vaccine came out--my mom remembers going down en masse and getting the vaccine. That's because people had seen up close and personal what these diseases could do and wanted it to stop.

Now it just looks like a lot of people want to have nasty diseases sweep through the community with nothing to stop them. Grrrrr.

I wonder what it's going to take to get it through these people's heads that those old timey diseases they refuse to have their kids vaxxed for are just downright NASTY? An epidemic of massive proportions, with kids dying or being deformed or badly damaged?

This is such a new thing...when I was a kid, the whole neighborhood, everyone who could, went down to the high school and got a rubella shot when it became available. The same was true when the polio vaccine came out--my mom remembers going down en masse and getting the vaccine. That's because people had seen up close and personal what these diseases could do and wanted it to stop.

Now it just looks like a lot of people want to have nasty diseases sweep through the community with nothing to stop them. Grrrrr.

But the MMR vaccine causes autism! Or, more accurately, the false belief that it does is how my partner managed to come down with mumps and do rather poorly on one of his final exams at uni. He'd been vaxed, but it's not 100% effective so because a lot of people our age didn't get their MMR vaccine, or at least not the booster (because of when Wakefield's "research" came out) he managed to contract it as there wasn't sufficient herd immunity. And he was lucky; he could have become infertile or died.

Hey you guys with goats who eat poison ivy, can you send me some of that milk? My mom almost died from poison ivy when I was little and she has to get a shot for it every year. I get poison ivy if my husband is cutting the grass or trimming the hedges and I am in the house with the windows open. I cannot be around it being cut at all,even an acre away I will get it. :?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. She is almost correct about the reason for the increase in asthma/allergies in first world countries. There is a growing body of evidence that in countries where there is a very low infant mortality rate, there is also a significantly higher incidence of allergies and asthma in children. It is thought that the immune systems in children who do not suffer from fighting life threatening and life complicating infectious diseases tend to start fighting any irritating invaders found.

Like most things in life, you need to weigh the risks and benefits. To me, the ratio in this case seems fairly obvious. Science is also beginning to uncover the benefits of probiotics. Probiotics are moving from the realm of alternative medicine into to realm of standard medicine. Despite what these nut jobs think, standard medicine is open to the use of nutrition based and naturally occurring remedies .....after application of the scientific method. We are intrigued and interested in a large cohort of anecdotal evidence and more than happy to put it to the test.

Her logic is...just not there.

I know she wouldn't post it, but I'd love to ask her to justify her belief that people would be healthier without vaccines / modern medicine when 200+ years ago, they had no vaccines, no regular health care (plus, they ate organic, natural foods) yet were dropping like flies. :roll:

Shoot, I need a milk goat. Poison ivy causes near panic attacks for me when I see it or when I know I'm walking through somewhere it might be growing, because apparently even the smallest contact with the plant oil is enough to set me off. It gets worse every year, so it may well become an emergency medical issue for me at some point. :( I can stay away from it, but I still get it every summer, from second-hand contact. :(

This is one of my pet peeves with fellow fundies (although it's not just a fundie thing). ETA, not poison ivy, lol, but the "natural" fads.

"Starting when Steven was around three years old, he would get poison ivy every summer. We had it in our backyard somewhere and he would swell up like a balloon. He could barely see through his eyes. He wasn't that uncomfortable but it wasn't fun."

I call bullshit on this. I have had poison ivy so bad that my eyes were almost swollen shut and it was uncomfortable as hell. I was a teenager when this happened and I was in tears everyday; I can just imagine how horrible it would be for a 3-year-old.

ETA: I was also brought up not to go to the doctor for every little thing. When I was 18, I had a cold that wouldn't go away and a lump on my neck. Out of character for me- I decided to take myself to the doctor. I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was caught at a extremely early stage so a month of radiation and I was fine. So, yeah, I go to the doctor every time I feel like something isn't right and I gladly accept any harmful chemicals said doctor might want to pump into me.

Autoimmune diseases existed when she was growing up. Ever read about rheumatism in old books?

Lupus was first recognized in the Middle Ages. Rheumatoid arthritis was described in 1800. Lori's not THAT old.

Autoimmune diseases existed when she was growing up. Ever read about rheumatism in old books?

Lupus was first recognized in the Middle Ages. Rheumatoid arthritis was described in 1800. Lori's not THAT old.

Exactly!

This is the main thing that annoys me about the no-vax, breastfeed-at-all-costs, organic-or-starve crowd. Sure, I'm concerned about what I put in my body. I eat organic when possible (especially foods from the dirty dozen list), support those who choose to breastfeed and hope that vaccines are as "clean" as possible. However, any idiot should know that loads of these diseases and allergies have existed for centuries; they just weren't diagnosed back then due to lack of 21st century medical care. (After flipping through Lives of the Saints a few years ago, I'm willing to bet that many of these miraculous visions and suicide-by-martyrdom situations that future saints were prone to were probably the result of brain tumours, head injuries or mental illness) Also, lots of people died young from accidents or injuries and just didn't live long enough to develop these things.

Still, since my own doctor tells me that modern medicine doesn't know everything, I'm sure glad the Lori's around with all of the answers :?

(Edited because I suck at quotes)

Must. Not. Rant. About. Lack. Of. Science.

Does anyone else remember the woman who was treating her son's severe asthma with licorice? I can't remember who it was but I remember discussing it on here not quite a year ago...

Incidentally......licorice has glycyrrhizic acid in it and has been used medicinally for years. Turns out, it may act to stabilize beta-2 adrenergic receptor mRNAs and prevent the b2ARs internalization as well as decreasing cytokine production through the phospho-inositol 3 kinase/Akt path, so it might help the efficacy of our modern medicine bronchodilators and act as an anti-inflammatory agent. *Shrug* I came across this in my physio class, thought it was apropos and interesting! (Not that licorice alone is sufficient to combat a severe asthma attack, of course!! It would also have be be real licorice, not artificially flavored candy.)

There are certain herbal medications that are totally awesome and I much prefer them to chemical medicine

Ahem. And, er, what's the difference between herbal medications and chemical medicines? ;-) I know what you mean, I just wanted to point out that whatever is actually effective (or not) in an herb is also a chemical...

I don't even...sweet aroma of Jesus? I am so using that as my new alternative to 'Jesus tittyfucking Christ'.

Can someone tell me what exactly this sweet aroma is?

Sweet aroma? Oh now that's just nasty. Sweat isn't sweet, especially when bathing means a dip in a river now and then.

Sweet aroma? Oh now that's just nasty. Sweat isn't sweet, especially when bathing means a dip in a river now and then.

Must be all the wine grape juice he drank. I;m sure it gave him sweet breath. :roll:

Asthma has been recognized for quite a long time. Teddy Roosevelt had it as a child, way back in the late 1800s. So it was first seen and diagnosed some time before that... and Lori isn't that freaking old.

ETA: Did some Googling, it was recognized in ancient Egypt and treated with frankincense. It was named by Hippocrates in 450 BC. According to Wikipedia, anyway.

My dad turned 65 yesterday. I have a lot of allergies. He doesn't have any, just "sensitive skin". As in--lots of products he can't use, he can't wear his wedding ring more than 3 days in a row, can't wear clothing that hasn't been washed/dry cleaned, can't buy clothing from certain retailers at all, can't try on clothing or he breaks out, can't eat certain things because they "don't agree with him", etc.

I have a lot of allergies. Many to organic aldehydes (I also have to wash my clothes before wearing), gold (had to have my wedding ring redone in platinum because of it), can't eat certain things...

He doesn't have allergies because he doesn't call them allergies. And he grew up in the 40's/50's. I call BS on this lady.

My dad turned 65 yesterday. I have a lot of allergies. He doesn't have any, just "sensitive skin". As in--lots of products he can't use, he can't wear his wedding ring more than 3 days in a row, can't wear clothing that hasn't been washed/dry cleaned, can't buy clothing from certain retailers at all, can't try on clothing or he breaks out, can't eat certain things because they "don't agree with him", etc.

I have a lot of allergies. Many to organic aldehydes (I also have to wash my clothes before wearing), gold (had to have my wedding ring redone in platinum because of it), can't eat certain things...

He doesn't have allergies because he doesn't call them allergies. And he grew up in the 40's/50's. I call BS on this lady.

This. My dad had childhood asthma, I have allergies, my aunt has sensitive skin, my grandma had bad sinuses and sensitive skin.... All are allergies, and all have been lifelong (except, I used my grandma's excuses until they got too bad to ignore).

I can't help but wonder why she just didn't seek out the poison ivy in her backyard and get rid of it. Also, doesn't she get the the constant exposure that made him less sensitive to it is, well, basically the same principal of a vaccination or allergy shots (?)

People in my family have had auto-immune disorders back into hundreds of years ago, of course they didn't call them "auto-immune disorders" back then, they said people were "frail and sickly".

Incidentally......licorice has glycyrrhizic acid in it and has been used medicinally for years. Turns out, it may act to stabilize beta-2 adrenergic receptor mRNAs and prevent the b2ARs internalization as well as decreasing cytokine production through the phospho-inositol 3 kinase/Akt path, so it might help the efficacy of our modern medicine bronchodilators and act as an anti-inflammatory agent. *Shrug* I came across this in my physio class, thought it was apropos and interesting! (Not that licorice alone is sufficient to combat a severe asthma attack, of course!! It would also have be be real licorice, not artificially flavored candy.)

Ahem. And, er, what's the difference between herbal medications and chemical medicines? ;-) I know what you mean, I just wanted to point out that whatever is actually effective (or not) in an herb is also a chemical...

OOOH science! Thank you, I love learning new things! I didn't mean to imply that licorice would be 100% useless or to dismiss it without looking into it, just at the time when it originally came up in our snark here the child in question frequently had bad asthma attacks, and we figured licorice alone probably wouldn't save his life if it came to that. Good to know that if I felt like giving licorice a try it might help with my very mild, coughing variety asthma, though. Although I must admit it's my mum who loves licorice, not me. I avoid it...

No matter what this woman needs some education FAST.

Apparently lots of people get burns from falling asleep with heating pads. (Google search). That seems crazy to me but I guess it happens.

I have one that's worse.

A member who fell asleep on top of a radiator at a conference (not speculating on the reasons here, just saying) and woke up with it STUCK TO HER FACE. She had to have quite extensive surgery.

(Then she tried to sue the union...)

Archived