IGNORED

This chick is off her nut.... Lori on First Aid

Isn't the increase in asthma tied to the increase in air pollution?

What increase in air pollution? There actually is a decrease in some areas, we just know more about. Imagine the air when fires were what powered everything. And now, if you get a modern wood stove, there isn't a lot of smoke because they're made so that they burn the smoke a second time before releasing it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, she talks about how asthma is caused by vaccinations. Well my mother had horrible asthma and was never immunized or had antibiotics as a child because it didn't exist yet. So how did my mother get asthma? Maybe from her parents and grandparents who also had it? :whistle:

She says that having a strong immune system will prevent allergies and asthma. I hate to fucking break it to her, but these are *caused* by a strong immune system. Dumb bitch needs a science class.

I am posting before reading the whole thread, so someone probably has already mentioned this :D

What increase in air pollution? There actually is a decrease in some areas, we just know more about. Imagine the air when fires were what powered everything. And now, if you get a modern wood stove, there isn't a lot of smoke because they're made so that they burn the smoke a second time before releasing it.

There is a lot of research being done at the moment based on the idea that asthma rates have increased due to our "clean" lifestyles causing lower immunity. The theory is based on the German situation; West Germans have the high rate of asthma typical in developed countries. East Germans (same race so eliminates genetic variation) have a very low rate despite being subject to higher pollution levels and living in a dirtier environment. The initial theory was that East German children born with asthma died. This theory has been disproved so now researchers are looking into all our efforts to keep babies environments sterile as part of the cause. (I married to a Chemistry lecturer/researcher who works in a university medical school and I hear far too many stories about his colleagues research.) This doesn't mean we are suppose to stop sterilizing our babies environment because (1) the research is not conclusive and is ongoing and (2) although asthma was almost non-existant in East Germany, children died of many diseases that no longer exist in the west.

*I believe this research is being done in conjunction with research about the genetics of the disease at some unversities. My husbands uni doesn't specialize in genetic research so I don't hear about that.

I despise people like her who think everything can be treated "naturally." I have a friend who was convinced the health shit I had going on could be treated naturally. If I had taken her idiotic advice I'd be dead. Thank fucking god there are such things as doctors and nurses out there that have a fucking clue about medical things instead of just using google.

this reminds me of that chick on my strange addiction (IIRC) who bathed in her own urine, drank her urine, etc to treat her CANCER.

I despise people like her who think everything can be treated "naturally." I have a friend who was convinced the health shit I had going on could be treated naturally. If I had taken her idiotic advice I'd be dead. Thank fucking god there are such things as doctors and nurses out there that have a fucking clue about medical things instead of just using google.

I think the holistic/allopathic medicine wars have gotten as bad as the mommy wars. It irks me quite a bit because there's plenty of room for a good middle ground.

There are certain herbal medications that are totally awesome and I much prefer them to chemical medicines. Thing is, though, they're all for mild stuff. They don't set broken bones or screen for cancer or take care of serious infections. For that kind of stuff, modern medicine truly is a miracle.

I don't remember the blog, but the woman was pregnant and discussing having a cold while she was preggers and not wanting to take 'drugs'. She started dosing herself with golden seal :o naturally she went into labor.

Why would you put a heating pad on a burn???

I think she was burned BY the heating pad, and the skin pulled off with it when she removed it.

I think the holistic/allopathic medicine wars have gotten as bad as the mommy wars. It irks me quite a bit because there's plenty of room for a good middle ground.

There are certain herbal medications that are totally awesome and I much prefer them to chemical medicines. Thing is, though, they're all for mild stuff. They don't set broken bones or screen for cancer or take care of serious infections. For that kind of stuff, modern medicine truly is a miracle.

Exactly. I use ginger pills for nausea and they work wonders(but they only treat a symptom not the issue!) and actually my doctor (who gives me most o fmy other modern meds) told me to take them so it wasn't even a holistic type of doctor. But my issues weren't mild issues, not issues that could be fixed with a change of diet (we tried that under doctor supervision) etc.. but my friend ignored all that and still wanted me on all the holistic shit and was guilt tripping me.

I think she was burned BY the heating pad, and the skin pulled off with it when she removed it.

Sweet fancy Mary, how does that even happen?

Exactly. I use ginger pills for nausea and they work wonders(but they only treat a symptom not the issue!) and actually my doctor (who gives me most o fmy other modern meds) told me to take them so it wasn't even a holistic type of doctor. But my issues weren't mild issues, not issues that could be fixed with a change of diet (we tried that under doctor supervision) etc.. but my friend ignored all that and still wanted me on all the holistic shit and was guilt tripping me.

That's the problem. Talking about modern medicine like it's all a conspiracy somehow,guilt tripping those who really do need it as uninformed.

I was wondering that, too. I think the child must have been playing with the heating pad unsupervised for quite some time and was somehow exposed to the heating element.

It's hard for me to picture a situation where this wasn't the result of negligence on the parent's part. It's not like an iron or a stove where you turn your back for 2 seconds and your kid get's burned. She must have been tinkering.

I was wondering that, too. I think the child must have been playing with the heating pad unsupervised for quite some time and was somehow exposed to the heating element.

It's hard for me to picture a situation where this wasn't the result of negligence on the parent's part. It's not like an iron or a stove where you turn your back for 2 seconds and your kid get's burned. She must have been tinkering.

maybe its like the icepack concept? All the icepacks I have say to put a towel/cloth or something over them to prevent frostbite. Maybe something like that with the heating pad?

Electrical burn maybe, somehow?

maybe its like the icepack concept? All the icepacks I have say to put a towel/cloth or something over them to prevent frostbite. Maybe something like that with the heating pad?

The thing with frostbite is that you can't feel it happening because the area will be numb from the cold. So you can fall asleep with an ice pack on your foot and wake up with frostbite.

I don't see that happening with getting a burn from a heating pad. You'd remove the pad before it got to the point of second degree burn (skin peeling off) because of the SEARING PAIN.

If the child wasn't tinkering with the pad and exposing herself directly to the heating element, she must have kept the pad in place in spite of searing pain. I guess a six year old might do that if her mother told her too "keep this on your foot no matter what" and she was really scared of mom beating her if she didn't obey. OR mom was off doing something else and the kid was yelling for help but mom was like, "eh, whatever" for a while.

This is all speculation, obviously, but it just doesn't seem right.

The thing with frostbite is that you can't feel it happening because the area will be numb from the cold. So you can fall asleep with an ice pack on your foot and wake up with frostbite.

I don't see that happening with getting a burn from a heating pad. You'd remove the pad before it got to the point of second degree burn (skin peeling off) because of the SEARING PAIN.

If the child wasn't tinkering with the pad and exposing herself directly to the heating element, she must have kept the pad in place in spite of searing pain. I guess a six year old might do that if her mother told her too "keep this on your foot no matter what" and she was really scared of mom beating her if she didn't obey. OR mom was off doing something else and the kid was yelling for help but mom was like, "eh, whatever" for a while.

This is all speculation, obviously, but it just doesn't seem right.

I babysat a kid once and they kept getting out of bed and so I told them "it's time to go to sleep, stay in the bed" and they ended up wetting the bed because they were too scared to go to the bathroom. Apparently their parents were spankers and they were scared I would hit them if they got up to pee.

THIS is also the lemons-are-alkaline woman??

The stupid...there's just no end to it! It BURNS!

I don't think that all herbal/natural remedies are bad - I love peppermint or ginger for nausea, yogurt for issues clearly related to yeast or your bowels, other random stuff like that, but really, this woman...

Vaccinations do not cause autism or asthma or whatever other nonsense she's trying to spew. They are not evil. They just provide a way for your body to make antibodies against specific viruses so that if you're exposed your body knows what to do. In short. In simple terms.

Must. Not. Rant. About. Lack. Of. Science.

Does anyone else remember the woman who was treating her son's severe asthma with licorice? I can't remember who it was but I remember discussing it on here not quite a year ago...

Could it have been like-for-like treatment? It is an idea that comes up alot on homeopathic treatment. For example; if someone has a fever you wrap them up really tight in lots of blankets and encourage them to sweat. Someone who reacts to poison ivy should be exposed to it in really low doses to build up immunity.

http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/about-hom ... omeopathy/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -like.html

I think the whole idea is mad but I know a lot of people who follow it. Is it possible her daughter burnt her foot on something else and she used the heat pad as a like-for-like treatment? I don't want to even imagine the pain of putting a heat pad on a burn but I think she is mad enough to do it.

No matter what this woman needs some education FAST.

Apparently lots of people get burns from falling asleep with heating pads. (Google search). That seems crazy to me but I guess it happens.

There is a lot of research being done at the moment based on the idea that asthma rates have increased due to our "clean" lifestyles causing lower immunity. The theory is based on the German situation; West Germans have the high rate of asthma typical in developed countries. East Germans (same race so eliminates genetic variation) have a very low rate despite being subject to higher pollution levels and living in a dirtier environment. The initial theory was that East German children born with asthma died. This theory has been disproved so now researchers are looking into all our efforts to keep babies environments sterile as part of the cause. (I married to a Chemistry lecturer/researcher who works in a university medical school and I hear far too many stories about his colleagues research.) This doesn't mean we are suppose to stop sterilizing our babies environment because (1) the research is not conclusive and is ongoing and (2) although asthma was almost non-existant in East Germany, children died of many diseases that no longer exist in the west.

*I believe this research is being done in conjunction with research about the genetics of the disease at some unversities. My husbands uni doesn't specialize in genetic research so I don't hear about that.

I heard about a study that suggested it is related to nematodes. They are present in most or even ALL soil, and for some reason ingesting them in massive quantities inoculates children against asthma and allergies to a certain extent. My kids all have the hereditary immune issues that my siblings and I had, but they are not anywhere near as severe as they could be. I would like to think that this is due to the fact that my babies play in dirt and get their daily allowance of nematodes!

I heard about a study that suggested it is related to nematodes. They are present in most or even ALL soil, and for some reason ingesting them in massive quantities inoculates children against asthma and allergies to a certain extent. My kids all have the hereditary immune issues that my siblings and I had, but they are not anywhere near as severe as they could be. I would like to think that this is due to the fact that my babies play in dirt and get their daily allowance of nematodes!

I want to read this study. I worked with a nematologist for a few years and learned all kinds of useless stuff about them. But they are ubiquitous in some parts of the US, and most of the major ones are heavily represented in the PNW.

I call bullshit on "no one had autoimmune diseases when I was child". Yes, they did. Lupus and the like have been around for ages. I believe it was documented well back into the 18th Century.

Want to know why lupus is called lupus? :confusion-shrug: It's been around so long that nobody can remember how it was named.

ive seen this homeopathic nonsense about burns and treating them with heat from a few sources

its the usual like for like thing

and the funny thing is it can appear to work for all the wrong reasons

we had a chap in theatre for a plastics procedure recently

he had burnt his hand, a spill of scalding water

and beliving in the homeopathic method of treating it had then held it over a candleflame

which he freely admits was agony

and then....

oh miracle of miracles, it stopped hurting

this is because he had converted a second degree burn (partial thickness, red, exquisitely painful) to a 3rd degree burn (full thickness of epidermis and damage to nerve endings meaning it becomes insensate and pain free, looks white and waxy)

so he thought the lovely homeopathic principles had done the job, and calmly waited for the rest of healing, (hah damn you doctors and your narrow minded allopathic medicine!)

he got the point when he ended up with a pretty bad contracture in his dominant hand, functional impairment and needed surgery and grafts (which would probably not have been needed had he not worsened the injury so much)

NB - burns to hands, face and genitals, and burns in children should always be taken seriously

and I agree with you about lupus being about forever

but I was always taught the name was from the marks on the face of the classic facial rash

lupus from wolf, either that the mask on the face resembled a wolfs markings symetrically on the nose and cheeks

and erythematosus as the skin lesions are red

though I stand to be corrected

Archived