IGNORED

The No-Cussing Club

OnceModestTwiceShy

I disagree with this. I am very well read and I swear like a drunken sailor! Why is it better or more educated to say "oh fiddlesticks" when I drop something? Dammit works just as well. When my back was really acting up (some disk issues) and I was in the shower, barely able to stand from the pain, I didn't say "Ouch" about 100 times, I said "fuck" (about 100 times!). One word is not superior over the other, as long as they mean the same thing.

Did your parents make you use this to help you come up with appropriately literary curses growing up, 1004srs? :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't understand why people get their panties in a twist over swearing in casual settings. For a while my parents had a modified closed-captioning box for the TV that detected swear words. When it detected swear words, the sound went off and a the closed captioning came on with nice replacement words. "Sex" got changed to "hugs", "balls" got changed to "toe." Don't remember the others. My parents are ADULTS btw. No clue why they were so offended at simply hearing offensive words that they had to get that stupid box.

My brother carried on the tradition by dating a fundie girl who couldn't abide bad language. I found this out when I used the word "badass" in her presence. Later my brother told me "X can't stand swearing. It really bothers her. You have to watch the way you talk around her."

Another time one of my fundie Catholic friends got all upset because a blog entry I had linked to on her facebook wall had BAD LANGUAGE *pearl clutch*. My first thought was "grow the fuck up".

Just don't get it!

I was very anti-swearing as kid, but I grew out of that before I was a teenager. For me it was about being better than my parents and rising above the situation I was in. Anything associated with lowliness was shunned, until I realized

1) lowliness is not what was wrong with my family

and

2) cursing doesn't mean you're lowly

When I say "lowly" I mean poor, uneducated, without class. It didn't take me long to realize that there are really awesome poor uneducated people, and rich educated people who are complete assholes.

Well fuck that noise. I have a goddamn dirty mouth, and cussing is my way of dealing with all the bullshit that comes from the various and assorted assholes I encounter daily.

Did I miss any major cuss words? Aw, to hell with it.

Heh. "Fuck that noise" is one of my favorite phrases lately.

I don't curse all the time, but when it's needed, it's needed! On purpose people I know will say "eff that ess in the ay" in a snooty voice (people who are fine with swears) just to be funny.

But then I'm a person who bought the "F-word" expansion pack to fridge poetry magnets and has it in her office, so... it's hilarious to see people come in there, we're talking about some design or whatever at work, they start messing with the fridge poetry on the whiteboard, and come across "fuckton." Good times :)

"Sex" got changed to "hugs", "balls" got changed to "toe."

So So instead of throwing balls for dogs, people throw toes? I wonder who offered theirs. :)

I do think swearing can be overused, if only used in plain form. You really need to get conjugating and inventive with it! If your kid is only saying plain "fuck" from time to time, some intervention might be needed. Combining swears with elaborate over the top euphemisms is always funny, at least to me and my immediate coworkers.

I disagree with this. I am very well read and I swear like a drunken sailor! Why is it better or more educated to say "oh fiddlesticks" when I drop something? Dammit works just as well. When my back was really acting up (some disk issues) and I was in the shower, barely able to stand from the pain, I didn't say "Ouch" about 100 times, I said "fuck" (about 100 times!). One word is not superior over the other, as long as they mean the same thing.

Same. I just feel like some things are best expressed using...stronger terms. If someone comments on my seeming lack of vocabulary, I usually come back with my favourite 'Little Rascals' quote: "Actually, I've always had a rather extensive vocabulary, not to mention a phenomenal grasp of grammar and a superlative command of syntax. I simply chose not to employ them." I find that typically shuts them up. :D

Sadly, English is a bit limited for swearing, since there are really only a few "bad" words...I love my native Russian, in which almost anything can be made into a curse. :)

As a child I was surprised that those curses often referred to dogs or rats nests within my own family. :lol:

Sadly, English is a bit limited for swearing, since there are really only a few "bad" words...I love my native Russian, in which almost anything can be made into a curse. :)

I loved being able to pick up when my grandmother was swearing in French. It sounded classy.

I fucking love the word fuck.

"For Fuck's sake" has been my catch phrase lately.

My siblings in law had a bet going whether my son's first world would be the "F" bomb. It wasn't. It was our corgi's first name.

I was convinced "fuck" was going to be the first word spoken by a former coworker's first son. And her second.

I know English is pretty shitty for swearing in. But I do like how versatile the word fuck can be. Fuck those fucking fuckers!

About the only one I avoid is cunt, which I save for the likes of Sarah Palin.

I was convinced "fuck" was going to be the first word spoken by a former coworker's first son. And her second.

I know English is pretty shitty for swearing in. But I do like how versatile the word fuck can be. Fuck those fucking fuckers!

About the only one I avoid is cunt, which I save for the likes of Sarah Palin.

My favorite swears are in Yiddish. You can't et much better than "gey kakuf auf en yam" (go shit in the ocean)

For a while my parents had a modified closed-captioning box for the TV that detected swear words. When it detected swear words, the sound went off and a the closed captioning came on with nice replacement words. "Sex" got changed to "hugs", "balls" got changed to "toe." Don't remember the others.

This might be the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I bet it didn't work that well anyway. Closed captioning is always fucking up.

Where I am from (and people familiar with Scotland may be able to guess) it's "fuckin'" every second word and "cunt" just means a person. "See that cunt down at Morrisons?" means "You know the guy who works at Morrisons?"

I learnt to behave myself verbally from a young age.;) But still get in trouble for saying "cunt".

Bitch, cock, cunt, bastard, fuckwad, fuckface, shitface, ass spelunker, Barbara Streisand...

And this is why I love FJ!

You have GOT to teach us how to swear in Russian!

It was awful when I was first learning Russian. I have a very hard time with speaking period. There were a few times I learned what swear words were the hard way when the class was laughing at me. :oops:

Heh heh heh, Russian swears. I have a notebook somewhere filled with all sorts of colourful ones. The sad part is I can remember them all but how to write them, forget about it.

Personally, I define swearing as the way you use a word rather than what you actually say. Shit can be a noun, a verb or a swear word. It all depends on context and tone of voice. "Sugar" can be quite offensive, given the tone of voice some of my students use.

As a child I was surprised that those curses often referred to dogs or rats nests within my own family. :lol:

:lol:

Where I am from (and people familiar with Scotland may be able to guess) it's "fuckin'" every second word and "cunt" just means a person. "See that cunt down at Morrisons?" means "You know the guy who works at Morrisons?"

Oh yes, Scots use profanity brilliantly. See: Billy Connolly.

I loved being able to pick up when my grandmother was swearing in French

My cube-mate is French Canadian, and from her I have learned that every French curse word is related to the Catholic Church. When she gets pissed at a co-worker she will call her mom and vent in French, dropping "tabernac" quite often. :lol:

I work in a workplace where, cursing is fairly accepted. My boss will drop f-bombs on a regular basis in meetings. He's a super nice guy, but he just happens to have a wonderful grasp of profanity. My co-workers generally are quite open with the use of profanity too. I will say my workplace is not for the faint of heart!

I use quite a few of George Carlin's 7 words on a daily basis. That being said - I can think of worse things for a 14 year old boy to do than to try to clean up his language.

Despite my own potty mouth, I do find it kind of off-putting to hear young (and 14 is quite young) people saying "fuck" loudly, every other word to the point where they seem incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence.

Unless he is saying everyone must stop swearing because otherwise his god will smite you? Meh.

My dad yelled and swore at me a lot while growing up. And it took my childish self about ten seconds to put together the fact that if dad did it, I should be able to do it too. None of this "swearing is wrong, but I can do it anyway and you can't" nonsense.

As an adult, I have a slight aversion to it myself, because of the emotional abuse I associate with it. However, I have no problem if people want to swear around me. It greatly annoyed me when people would ask me to stop because it bothered them. It just seemed like they were being incredibly nitpicky.

oh, yes, the swear word blockers on television. SO lame! We were trying to watch this movie at school one time. I can't remember what it was called, and I don't think it was a particularly religious movie, but it was set in a time and place and culture where God was talked about frequently.

And the swear word blocker kept blocking out whole sentences when the word "God" was used. Because, the word God is always a swear word. None of the adults there could figure out how to turn the stupid thing off, so we had to quit watching the movie. I was quite disappointed, as it is a really good movie.

My favorite swears are in Yiddish. You can't et much better than "gey kakuf auf en yam" (go shit in the ocean)

My bubby used to say that one to me all the time :D See, swears can evoke pleasant childhood memories. I once had my Korean friend teach me a bunch of Korean swears but I can't remember most of them. I'm sure I wrote them down somewhere...

My DD has a small purse sized note book where she logs foreign swears, phonetic pronunciations and translations :lol:

riffle

Archived