IGNORED

The No-Cussing Club

OnceModestTwiceShy

I was browsing the funny new website by Drew of the comic Toothpaste for Dinner, The Worst Things for Sale, when I saw this entry about a book about the No Cussing Club, started by a 14-y/o boy. http://theworstthingsforsale.com/page/2

I was curious as to why a 14 y/o would be so concerned about swearing as to start a club and write a book about it, so I went over to check out the website (which really seems to prove Poe's Law). Two things caught my eye while looking around: the description of the no-cussing curriculum as being "character building" (http://www.nocussing.com/curriculum.html), and the notation on the certificate (http://www.nocussing.com/images/NCC_Certificate.pdf) about "raising a G-rated family in an X-rated world." The obsession with not swearing, combined with these two things, makes me wonder if this isn't somehow related to Gothard or at least to the creeping fundie mentality. Since the kid goes to public school, he's obviously not from a hard-core fundie family, but the correlations are interesting.

Anyone familiar with this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well fuck that noise. I have a goddamn dirty mouth, and cussing is my way of dealing with all the bullshit that comes from the various and assorted assholes I encounter daily.

Did I miss any major cuss words? Aw, to hell with it.

I was browsing the funny new website by Drew of the comic Toothpaste for Dinner, The Worst Things for Sale, when I saw this entry about a book about the No Cussing Club, started by a 14-y/o boy. http://theworstthingsforsale.com/page/2

I was curious as to why a 14 y/o would be so concerned about swearing as to start a club and write a book about it, so I went over to check out the website (which really seems to prove Poe's Law). Two things caught my eye while looking around: the description of the no-cussing curriculum as being "character building" (http://www.nocussing.com/curriculum.html), and the notation on the certificate (http://www.nocussing.com/images/NCC_Certificate.pdf) about "raising a G-rated family in an X-rated world." The obsession with not swearing, combined with these two things, makes me wonder if this isn't somehow related to Gothard or at least to the creeping fundie mentality. Since the kid goes to public school, he's obviously not from a hard-core fundie family, but the correlations are interesting.

Anyone familiar with this?

I remember seeing the kid being interviewed on Leno a while back. He didn't seem like some crazy fundie, but then again, who knows.

Same here. I know there are places where it is inappropriate to swear, but if I'm not in one of those places, I'm going to do it, often. It just seems like a huge waste of time and energy for a kid who appears to have a lot of direction and ambition at a young age, has a desire to help people, and could probably do something truly helpful instead of worrying about his classmates and peers having potty mouths.

I remember seeing the kid being interviewed on Leno a while back. He didn't seem like some crazy fundie, but then again, who knows.

I can't believe he was on Leno...I guess people really are very concerned about swearing? Or maybe it's just a novelty because he is 14? Anyway, I'm curious, do you remember if he said what his motivations were, or explained why he finds swearing to be so inherently wrong?

I've noticed that swearing is frowned upon--and even censored--on Mormon sites. People there can get pretty damn huffy.

I can't believe he was on Leno...I guess people really are very concerned about swearing? Or maybe it's just a novelty because he is 14? Anyway, I'm curious, do you remember if he said what his motivations were, or explained why he finds swearing to be so inherently wrong?

It was more a novelty "look at this 14 year old who wrote a book" type of thing. I don't really remember much about it other than he seemed like a fairly normal kid who just didn't like bad language. The interview was 2-3 years ago. For those interested, the kid is McKay Hatch.

Fuckity fuck fuckwittery fuck. Shit. God damn! Jesus Christ! Suck! Dipshit. Hell! Holy hell! Ass! Asshole! Jackass! ... Did I miss any yet?

I've noticed that swearing is frowned upon--and even censored--on Mormon sites. People there can get pretty damn huffy.

Yup Mormons are very anti-cussing. Some Mormons can tolerate hearing cussing. I follow a few Mormon bloggers and one of them complains about cussing often. This blogger goes to movies frequently and she bitches all the time about PG-13 movies having swearing. Some of the movies she complains about have maybe 3-5 major cuss words. Just recently there was a BYU student who complained about cussing on TV shows.

I've seen images of the "No Cussing Club" pop up in memes before. I don't think there's anything inherently bad with cussing (I grew up in a household where my mom swore like a sailor, mostly at me, so I hated any and all swearing as a child but grew up to swear just as often) when you're around other people who are okay with it, but when I'm in public, or with other people who don't cuss (I'm a Mormon, so my church friends don't swear, and I choose not to swear around them out of respect) I try to speak more politely. Around my family or longtime friends, though? Every other word is an F-Bomb. When I have kids I won't swear around them til they're much older, because I grew up in an abusive home and that was an element of the abuse.

Fun fact: My first word in public was "shit". My childhood pastor was blessing the children, dropped something, and I cursed in front of the whole congregation. My mom pretended not to know where I learned that word.

I get that he may not like foul language, I don't either. But aren't there better issues to focus on?

This.

Well fuck that. There are worse things in life than fucking swearing.

*inner 12 year old boy now under control*

Ratshit, batshit, dirty old twat! 69 assholes tied in a knot! Hurray, lizardshit FUCK!

I miss George Carlin.

I was told growing up that cursing was for people who weren't well read enough to come up with other words. Only heard Mom cuss once and Dad - never. It isn't something they or their families do. Not related to religion or anything.

This.

RIGHT? That was my main issue too. All that effort, work, creativity...to make a club for teenagers who pledge not to swear? And who will probably swear eventually, just like the kids who make abstinence pledges? Even if you think swearing sucks....He could have raised money for homeless kids or started a GSA. Instead he did this, and I'm just dying to know why he thinks it is so important. Oh well. :lol:

I was told growing up that cursing was for people who weren't well read enough to come up with other words. Only heard Mom cuss once and Dad - never. It isn't something they or their families do. Not related to religion or anything.

I heard this from some people too...I just disagree. I'm very well read and well-educated, as are most of my friends, and we all swear like sailors. I do moderate it depending on who I'm around, of course. I'd never swear around my profs, my students, or my grandma. ;) I guess in a way it connotes being relaxed and around friends for me, although it also connotes just being really fucking angry, excited, etc. and needing that ultimate bit of emphasis. I actually DID avoid swearing once for a whole year, when I was trying to be a good Orthodox Jew. (I gave up on both.)

However, now that I've sung the praises of swearing, I'll share a cautionary tale about it being maybe just a smidgen too much a part of my vocab. I was 22, about to graduate college, and going on job interviews to try and secure that elusive and coveted "job right out of school." I went to interview at an org that I really supported, for a job for which I was well-qualified. When I walked into the door, I immediately saw someone I recognized from synagogue youth group, which was exciting for both of us. We said our hi's, and then I went into my interview, which went well, I thought. When I came out, I saw my old friend again, and we chatted while my interviewer was finding some organizational brochure for me. We were talking about the weather, and without even thinking about the fact that I was in the middle of the office and that my interviewer was right behind me, I blurted out, loudly: "God, it's fucking cold today!"

Needless to say, I didn't get a second interview. :? However, it did teach me to be very careful about what kind of language I use where. But I still think it's totally ok to do it if you're not in a professional environment.

I think that, as with all language, there are environments in which it is appropriate to cuss, and those in which it is not.

If I may share a funny inappropriate cussing story:

During my student teaching, I taught high school special education for students with severe disabilities. All of my students were non-verbal, but one, who we will call Fiona, displayed echolalia (repeating what others say but not necessarily understanding what it means). Fiona happened to have 3 brothers aged 12-19 (Fiona was 17). Often times she would shout out phrases such as "touch down!" and "Can we get pizza?" randomly during class. Well, one day some fourth graders from the local elementary school put on a play for the high schoolers. During the most suspenseful moment (when everyone else was silent) Fiona shouted "Fuck this mother-fucker." Suffice to say, while it may have been the complete wrong time for such language, it was fucking hilarious!

All the assholes who say that using swears mean my goddamned vocabulary is stunted are just jealous dip-shits who don't realize that my vocabulary is enhanced by al the fucking swears I know.

Also they're the dumbasses who're missing out on my god's awesomeness.

BEZaPN8gUY

All bow down to God George. Alannis is just god's "helper," like the guys playing mall Santa.

George was fucking brilliant, man.

Fuckity fuck fuckwittery fuck. Shit. God damn! Jesus Christ! Suck! Dipshit. Hell! Holy hell! Ass! Asshole! Jackass! ... Did I miss any yet?

Bitch, cock, cunt, bastard, fuckwad, fuckface, shitface, ass spelunker, Barbara Streisand...

Sadly, English is a bit limited for swearing, since there are really only a few "bad" words...I love my native Russian, in which almost anything can be made into a curse. :)

I get that he may not like foul language, I don't either. But aren't there better issues to focus on?

Well he's a teenager. Sometimes they focus on silly issues or think things are more/less important than they are. I was a bit like that. Though not to this extent.

Interestingly, I've known Americans to get very upset about "damn" and I've been told off for using it or had it starred out online. It's not a swear word where I am - more a sort of exclamation word. But it really seems to be as strong as fuck in the USA.

I disagree with this. I am very well read and I swear like a drunken sailor! Why is it better or more educated to say "oh fiddlesticks" when I drop something? Dammit works just as well. When my back was really acting up (some disk issues) and I was in the shower, barely able to stand from the pain, I didn't say "Ouch" about 100 times, I said "fuck" (about 100 times!). One word is not superior over the other, as long as they mean the same thing.

Archived