IGNORED

One-on-one time

homeschoolmomma1

I know that I was always worried growing up in my strict, Baptist household about getting in trouble for something I didn't realize was wrong. (For example, I remember more than one occasion when my dad would come in and see me watching a show and get onto me, saying that I "knew that show isn't allowed", when it was a show I had watched with my mom before even.) Even now, when my dad calls me, there's always a second of worrying that he's found something out and is calling to yell at me, and I'm twenty years old and living several hours away. I can't imagine what it must be like for the Duggar kids, who don't seem to also have the loving side of the relationship that I had with my dad. My dad might have randomly picked up my sister's phone from time to time and read texts, but he never scheduled a time to ask what secrets she was keeping. How is there any trust in that household?

So I don't agree that siblings can always be counted on to rat each other out. Even now, if my brother did something bad, I'd cover for him. He'd cover for me. I love my brother, and with that love is the respect to keep secrets that don't hurt anybody.

That's what my brother and I seem to have now that I'm out of the house. It amazes me when I come home and he talks to me about stuff he's done (not stuff that's bad, but that would be considered bad by our parents), because it's like, I remember wishing I had someone to tell the same sort of thing to when I was his age. It's just him and our sister (who is in between us age-wise) there now, and she's the obvious snitch, but when I was his age he was still a little kid, so I had to keep stuff to myself.

I can guarantee you that I spent more one-on-one time with my mom than any Duggar kid ever did with Michelle, and that's with my mom working a full-time job. Michelle doesn't care about any kid over the age of 6 months and in her view they are just tools to further her game of controlling the other kids.

And how is this any different from the evil divorced parents?

When my parents were first separated I lived with my mom and I saw my dad once a WEEK. We had a standing date every Monday and we would try out a different restaurant each week. I got to spend more time with my divorced working parents than any Duggar kid gets to spend with Michelle or Jim Bob. I remember I was 17 at the time and read an essay in my English class from a Mormon plural wife who was trying to make her polygamous lifestyle seem wonderful. She proudly boasted that her kids got to have dinner with their dad once a week, along with one of her sister-wives and their children. And I was unimpressed because I just didn't see the point of even bothering to marry him if they only got to see him as often as I did with my divorcing parents. She also seemed to think it would be a good thing to point out how little sex she got, but to my horny teenage self, that seemed like the most horrific fate ever. That's not really relevant here, just one of the things I remember so clearly. It sure seems like a weird thing to list as a benefit instead of a downside.

"is there something you're keeping from me" sounds so damn interrogative. Like when you're called to your bosses office.... O_O

Archived