IGNORED

Bristol Palin blames Obama girls re same-sex marriage

2xx1xy1JD

Who exactly is her "fan-base"? I don't even know any conservatives who think this girl should be pontificating. Perhaps just the people that luv-luv-luv her mother?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who exactly is her "fan-base"? I don't even know any conservatives who think this girl should be pontificating. Perhaps just the people that luv-luv-luv her mother?

There are some really dumb ass conservatives that love the Palins basically they buy into the BS thrown out by them. Most of the conservatives that I know in my day to day life, loathe the Palins for several reasons. I think Bristol's fanbase consists of people who don't see the hypocrisy of the Palins. Last year, I was lurking on a message board that I used to post on. There was a Bristol fan on that board who praised Bristol when it was announced that she got a reality show deal. This Bristol fan also bashed Levi after his Playgirl thing. I don't think Bristol is any better than Levi.

Pro life people who think that she should be worshiped for not aborting.

Seems like I read on TWOP or somewhere that she and Teen Mom Maci are friends.

Bristol sued Levi Johnson for child support no? That's changing "thousands of years of thinking". People didn't used to think fathers owed their illegitimate children anything.

Seems like I read on TWOP or somewhere that she and Teen Mom Maci are friends.

I heard about that. I remember people talked about it quite a bit on IMDB boards a couple of years. When Bristol was on DTWS, Maci went to one of the shows to watch.

Pro life people who think that she should be worshiped for not aborting.

Yup, I've seen those Bristol fans online quite a bit. Sarah also gets praise in pro-life circles because of Trigg.

Bristol sued Levi Johnson for child support no? That's changing "thousands of years of thinking". People didn't used to think fathers owed their illegitimate children anything.

Sorry, I tried to hold back, I promise! :oops: :oops: :oops: You're mostly right. But the insufferable history nerd in me is whining, that it depends. For example in 17th century London, the baby's unwed mother's word was all that was needed, for the parish to go after the father for child support. Obviously, this practice had fiscal reasons. Otherwise the parish would have had to pay for the illegitimate child's upbringing if the mother couldn't. Still, back then, the unwed mother Bristol had a chance of being dragged to court, getting a public flogging, having to pay an astronomical fine, and getting sentenced for up to one year's hard labour in gaol. Good old days? I don't think so.

*slinks back off to her dusty library to have a stern talk with the inner nerd, about not adding a loooong diatribe about how the "thousands of years old" institution of marriage has changed massively, since Roman times, and only the ceremony started getting codified with the Council of Trent in the 1560s, which initially had no impact on the Protestants in the Western World, and...please excuse me, while I sniff some books to get over Bristol's history fail, and repent for being such a pedantic nerd! :oops: *

So Bristol Palin, whose only claim to fame is being the daughter of a fruit loop. Whose only achievement in life is to conceive a child by a drunken shag and then write a tell all book slagging off her baby daddy, seems to think that we should actually listen to and value her opinion?

Bristol; STFU. There's a dear.

So Bristol Palin, whose only claim to fame is being the daughter of a fruit loop. Whose only achievement in life is to conceive a child by a drunken shag and then write a tell all book slagging off her baby daddy, seems to think that we should actually listen to and value her opinion?

Bristol; STFU. There's a dear.

^^this. Preach on, sister.

Bristol is named for Bristol Bay. Track was named because Sistah Sarah and her manpet....ran track. :roll:

I read somewhere that Bristol got her name because that's where ESPN has its headquarters. I have no idea where I saw that though, nothing to link.

I'm reading Levi Johnston's book right now (got it on clearance, waiting for the price of Bristol's book to drop). I have no idea how much of it is true, but according to Johnston, Willow is very outspoken and independant and if anyone in the family is going to call the Palins on their bullishit, it will be Willow.

Sorry, I tried to hold back, I promise! :oops: :oops: :oops: You're mostly right. But the insufferable history nerd in me is whining, that it depends. For example in 17th century London, the baby's unwed mother's word was all that was needed, for the parish to go after the father for child support. Obviously, this practice had fiscal reasons. Otherwise the parish would have had to pay for the illegitimate child's upbringing if the mother couldn't. Still, back then, the unwed mother Bristol had a chance of being dragged to court, getting a public flogging, having to pay an astronomical fine, and getting sentenced for up to one year's hard labour in gaol. Good old days? I don't think so.

*slinks back off to her dusty library to have a stern talk with the inner nerd, about not adding a loooong diatribe about how the "thousands of years old" institution of marriage has changed massively, since Roman times, and only the ceremony started getting codified with the Council of Trent in the 1560s, which initially had no impact on the Protestants in the Western World, and...please excuse me, while I sniff some books to get over Bristol's history fail, and repent for being such a pedantic nerd! :oops: *

Keep it up nerdgirl!! I love hearing this stuff. And do please give me some pointers to massive changes in marriage.......

Keep it up nerdgirl!! I love hearing this stuff. And do please give me some pointers to massive changes in marriage.......

It's all on your head now. ;)

Right, basically, the early church in Europe didn't consider marriage a "sacrament", so you had different forms of marriage. With different forms, I mean the transfer of rights and property, inheritance and so on. Basically, marriage was all civil, and mainly concerned with property. For example, on the continent, you could have a marriage - as a woman - in which you retained your individual rights and property, and were free to make your own testament. Or you were married in a form of marriage, which basically made you a husband's chattel. There's quite a lot of variation from medieval country to medieval country, but blessings from the church were not needed for a marriage. And until the early middle ages, official concubinage was not unheard of. Incidentally, it briefly recurred under Martin Luther in the Palatinate (Germany), with the latter's blessing, but only for the prince, who had two legal wives at the same time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_ ... r_Palatine (the link is not quite correct- it mentions a unilateral divorce, but the original sources, and several books, indicate that this was a case of church-sanctioned polygyny. The only book I have at hand is in French. Let me know if you want the title, and author!)

Only the Catholic Council of Trent in the 1560s (it lasted several years) made marriage a sacrament, and after that a Catholic marriage had to be blessed by a priest to be valid. Protestant countries, like England, continued to recognize civil marriages. Anyone could get married by simply declaring themselves husband and wife, no witnesses needed, but having them could help in the case of dispute. Marriage was a civil affair, and not sacred at all. It was a contract between two private citizens that could, but didn't have to, be blessed in a church. That didn't change till Hardwicke's Marriage Act 1753, which set down the proper form for an English marriage ceremony. Of course this had an impact on property rights, and inheritance, since now you had to have the "proper form" of marriage to dispose of your property.

I get a bit sketchy on divorce laws, and how they work with property, but the United Kingdom, and its colonies had quite different divorce laws for every region. In England itself, it was quite difficult to get a divorce, but it was easier in Scotland, and the colonies. At the time. Coincidentally, in Scotland and the colonies women also had more rights to their own property.

Sorry, I'm getting all jumbled, because my inner nerd wants to get out so much, and just realized I forgot the Romans, who also had various forms of marriage, all connected to the rights of the wife, and property . :cry: And marriage of Roman soldiers to non-Roman citizens is really interesting too.

Sorry, I tried, without going overboard. The point is that marriage was mainly concerned with property rights, and inheritance back in the day. The "form" of marriage, or rather the actual wedding, only got interesting in contested cases, where there was a need to establish whether or not an actual contract existed. That never changed! But it was never really all about raising children in a "family unit", until the Victorians came along. Don't get me wrong, there are some touching examples of marital love throughout history, but that wasn't the main idea behind it. In the 17th century, there was a saying: "a wife for heirs, a mistress for love, and friends for company" - I think that says its bit about what a "marriage" meant then. Granted, that saying was for rich men, but without pensions, practical thinking prevailed.

An interesting book on the subject is "The Weaker Vessel" by Antonia Fraser, "The Prospect before her" by Olwen Hufton, and I'll have to get back to you on my sources on earlier history than the 1600s. Sorry, it's a bit late here. Another one, a bit obscure, is "Promises, Promises, Promises" by Leah Leneman, about marriage litigation in Scotland from 1698 onwards. It's great, because it gives you a lot of background information, and Leneman has written a book about unwed mothers in 17th century Scotland as well, which was...enlightening, to say the least.

*seriously slunks back to her library to wish she hadn't drunk some wine in between those two posts, because this is a huge social and women's history issue... repents drinking wine...* :oops:

Bristol's "fans" are the ones who made her the poster girl of the pro-life movement when she didn't abort Tripp. The same ones who called Britney Spears' little sister a whore and a slut for getting pregnant at 16 and would have probably said the same thing (or worse) if Obama had a pregnant teenager.

I'm pretty sure her family is keeping Levi away from Tripp, he's mentioned it numerous times. I know he's a sleazebag, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling the truth there. Ugh, both of them are vile. That poor child.

Of course I find what this stupid woman said unpalatable. I'm also bothered by the fact that she is making ANY public statements about Pres. Obama's children. The blog post's title was in itself a dig at the President and his daughters. Didn't her mother lambast the "liberal, gotcha" media for speaking about HER children? Didn't the Palins want families to be off limits when it came to politics? So, just another routine day at hypocrisy central I guess.

It's all on your head now. ;)

Right, basically, the early church in Europe didn't consider marriage a "sacrament", so you had different forms of marriage. With different forms, I mean the transfer of rights and property, inheritance and so on. Basically, marriage was all civil, and mainly concerned with property. For example, on the continent, you could have a marriage - as a woman - in which you retained your individual rights and property, and were free to make your own testament. Or you were married in a form of marriage, which basically made you a husband's chattel. There's quite a lot of variation from medieval country to medieval country, but blessings from the church were not needed for a marriage. And until the early middle ages, official concubinage was not unheard of. Incidentally, it briefly recurred under Martin Luther in the Palatinate (Germany), with the latter's blessing, but only for the prince, who had two legal wives at the same time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_ ... r_Palatine (the link is not quite correct- it mentions a unilateral divorce, but the original sources, and several books, indicate that this was a case of church-sanctioned polygyny. The only book I have at hand is in French. Let me know if you want the title, and author!).... (snip)

...*seriously slunks back to her library to wish she hadn't drunk some wine in between those two posts, because this is a huge social and women's history issue... repents drinking wine...* :oops:

I could read this stuff for hours and hours. Any time you feel the need to pop out of that library to post more, please to do so! :clap:

A silly child trying to validate herself by hanging on her mother's (failed) coat-tails. Who the hell cares what she thinks?

I'd listen to what Sasha & Malia had to say a million times over before I'd give a fame whore the time of day.

Sorry, I tried to hold back, I promise! :oops: :oops: :oops:

NEVER apologize for sharing knowledge around here, we have so many posters that fascinate me with their various areas of expertise.

Why is this person even relevant?

Same reason the Kardashians are, any various Real Housewife is, the Jersey Shore cast is, etc. Because people pay attention to them, for seemingly no reason.

I don't really get it either. :think:

I have more respect for Jamie Lyn Spears than Bristol Palin. At least Jamie Lyn had enough sense to go home, raise her child, keep her mouth shut and just let her idiot family be the stars of the show.

:roll: Bristol Palin just needs to go home and stop talking, now.

QFT

Here are all the things that are wrong with Bristol:

- she's not too bright

- she's a huge fail of abstinence-only yet still insists on promoting it

- she's doing all sorts of things that weren't accepted in the past

- does she really think teens getting opinions on equality from "Glee" is somehow bad???

I remember when she was asked about teen pregnancy (not long after the birth and said) "abstinence isn't realistic", I was really pleased, I thought she would go against her family and be more rational, but clearly not.

I have more respect for Jamie Lyn Spears than Bristol Palin. At least Jamie Lyn had enough sense to go home, raise her child, keep her mouth shut and just let her idiot family be the stars of the show.

True. I'm not really into celebrity gossip but I rarely hear about her. I have heard more than one people say it was because she wanted to get out of show business and that was the only escape she could see. Also, she had a career and the ability to pay for her child herself which Bristol didn't.

Same reason the Kardashians are, any various Real Housewife is, the Jersey Shore cast is, etc. Because people pay attention to them, for seemingly no reason.

I don't really get it either. :think:

I keep hearing about these Kardashian people and seeing their pictures when I am getting my hair cut. I don't actually have a clue who they are! I'm also pretty sure I'm not 100% certain as to why Sarah Palin is relevant either.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to know either.

Archived