IGNORED

Contraceptive cause a RISE in the rate of abortion...

Elle

At least according to Jennie Chancey.

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/ho ... raception/

Her cites sources are two Christian websites and an opinion piece written by a Christian who doesn't cite ANY sources while claiming Planned Parenthood has his claims that contraception has resulted in more abortions. Um, not, the legalization of abortion led to the increase, and happened around the same time contraceptives became much easier to get.

Fundies don't seem to understand statistics or logic, particularly when they can bend something to fit their preconceived notions.

Someone needs to tell her that correlation does not equal causation (post hoc ergo propter hoc - my favourite fallacy).

Like everyone else they find a source that backs them up. As humans we don't like to check too deeply in case it proves our beliefs are wrong.

Even her "sources" don't quite back up her position.

Yes, contraception fails, especially if it's not always used, or is used incorrectly.

I could suggest that if the goal was to reduce genuine abortions (ie. not just prevent fertilization or implantation), it would be helpful to:

- make contraception use a bigger part of the conversation, so that people see using it as automatic (ie. get on the Pill, carry the condom, insert the diaphragm before the date, etc.)

- make sure that people know how to use the methods correctly, so that they fail less often (avoid antibiotics and the Pill, no Vaseline with condoms)

- make sure that people know which methods are most prone to failure (shall I talk about the sponge babies I know?)

- make doubling up methods a regular part of the conversation, since the odds of both failing at the same time are far less

- make it acceptable to talk about birth control and planning for sex in the first place, since we have tons of studies that confirm that societies which do this have far lower rates of unintended pregnancy

Like everyone else they find a source that backs them up. As humans we don't like to check too deeply in case it proves our beliefs are wrong.

And in this case, they may not understand that you can't make a legitimate argument using just any old source.

Even her "sources" don't quite back up her position.

Yes, contraception fails, especially if it's not always used, or is used incorrectly.

I could suggest that if the goal was to reduce genuine abortions (ie. not just prevent fertilization or implantation), it would be helpful to:

- make contraception use a bigger part of the conversation, so that people see using it as automatic (ie. get on the Pill, carry the condom, insert the diaphragm before the date, etc.)

- make sure that people know how to use the methods correctly, so that they fail less often (avoid antibiotics and the Pill, no Vaseline with condoms)

- make sure that people know which methods are most prone to failure (shall I talk about the sponge babies I know?)

- make doubling up methods a regular part of the conversation, since the odds of both failing at the same time are far less

- make it acceptable to talk about birth control and planning for sex in the first place, since we have tons of studies that confirm that societies which do this have far lower rates of unintended pregnancy

I'm not visiting the website for the sake of my blood pressure, but if ladiesagainstfeminism are fundy enough, they may have bought into the idea that condoms are set up to fail.

Archived