IGNORED

Preggo Lina

Beeks

The first-person accounts that I see over and over at places like fathealth go like this:

Sometimes multiple doctors send the person away without actually helping. Sometimes the person doesn't even have a diagnosis and is just posting to vent about the baffling issues the doc won't help with, and the people who respond go "Holy crap, that's a classic indicator of [condition] and your doc should have tested for it!"

There's definitely a difference between finding out "is the weight gain a symptom or a cause". Having a dr figure it out compassionately is KEY instead of immediately judging the patient! I've had great drs lately, I've been very lucky in that regard.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, weight gain in pregnancy is not set in stone.

I gained 3 stone (ha!) - I mean 42 pounds - with my first pregnancy, which according to everything I see is far too much. Lost it all in three months.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't change the medical reality that being overweight/obese puts you at a higher risk for those conditions. Not EVERY overweight woman will have GD. But being at a healthy weight reduces your risk. It's as simple as that.

And while I don't have the link, there is some research that thinks that GD, or any diabetes causes a person to put on weight more easily than a person who is not diabetic, as well as make it harder to get back to a normal weight.

Doctors all over the English-speaking Western world say that if you have exactly the same medical problems as a socially acceptably thin person, but you're socially unacceptably fat, you don't deserve treatment. You must become thin. Then your problems will disappear. If you don't become thin, you deserve punishment. For the results of this malpractice, see fathealth.wordpress.com.

On the other side, sometimes you can have issues as a "thin" person that are dismissed because you're "not big enough" to have that problem. I really think both sides are because a doctor doesn't know what to do about something.

And while I don't have the link, there is some research that thinks that GD, or any diabetes causes a person to put on weight more easily than a person who is not diabetic, as well as make it harder to get back to a normal weight.

you don't need a link- iv'e seen it in every damn Type II diabetic person I know. And I know about 5. They struggle and struggle and struggle. They eat right, their sugars are PERFECT and do healthy exercise, but still, the body freaks out about the weight. My uncle is one of them. He lost a ton of weight to start, and then it bounced right back and slapped him in the face essentially~ he kept on the diet and the pounds piled back on! I've watched him eat and unless he's a completely insane junk food closet eater, (which I doubt) its the disease. And he wants to loose weight because he has heart issues on top of it and he loves his kids and deeply loves his wife, so its not like he has to get hit with a "clue by 4" about diet and weight management.

And in today's comments:

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think attachment parenting is best. I mean, my mom and I are best friends now. What parent wouldn't want that with their child?!

May 9, 2012 7:01 PM

Maria said...

May I ask, do you plan on having a home birth? :)

May 10, 2012 12:37 AM

Paulina said...

@Maria: Yes, we are :)

May 10, 2012 8:57 AM

Maria said...

I think that's really awesome. I know quite a few family friends that have done homebirths and they have nothing but great things to say about it!

May 10, 2012 9:31 AM

I hope to hell she has a midwife who's licensed and not some faux ATI trained gal, or she's not planning on having any assistance since they are broke.

And in today's comments:

I hope to hell she has a midwife who's licensed and not some faux ATI trained gal, or she's not planning on having any assistance since they are broke.

It could very well be WHY they're broke- most insurances do not cover CPMs. Most insurances cover homebirths with CNMS which are harder to find.

I am pretty crunchy and terrified of medical stuff, and i'd NEVER go with a CPM if i had no other choice.

Something about the "Harley riding" description of TT made me think that said Harley is the reason that they're broke... Perhaps I'm just being judgmental, though. In my book, the last thing one needs when one is having a baby is a motorcycle--especially when the sole breadwinner in the household is the one riding said motorcycle. What happens when he gets hit by a car that's not paying attention? Is LOLina supposed to go out and get a job 'til TT's back on his feet?

Anyway, don't many insurance plans cover hospital births? (Mr. Burps' covers that and all prenatal care 100%, so that's my only source of information) It's not my ideal at ALL, but I'd go with the cheaper/free option any day if it meant my fetus could get the nutrients it needs. :\ On a slightly related topic, tchotchkes, I wanted to thank you for finding me a CNM! I have a family planning appointment with them in July :)

you don't need a link- iv'e seen it in every damn Type II diabetic person I know. And I know about 5. They struggle and struggle and struggle. They eat right, their sugars are PERFECT and do healthy exercise, but still, the body freaks out about the weight. My uncle is one of them. He lost a ton of weight to start, and then it bounced right back and slapped him in the face essentially~ he kept on the diet and the pounds piled back on! I've watched him eat and unless he's a completely insane junk food closet eater, (which I doubt) its the disease. And he wants to loose weight because he has heart issues on top of it and he loves his kids and deeply loves his wife, so its not like he has to get hit with a "clue by 4" about diet and weight management.

It doesn't help that some diabetic meds will cause you to gain weight. I had to jump in because I am a "skinny person" whose diabetes went undetected for who knows how long because I was not overweight. I also had GD with my last child. I also was at risk for developing diabetic acidosis when I got the flu and couldn't take/process my meds properly - LOST weight to the tune of 20 pounds in a month, which I can't put back on - so sometimes these diseases totally can't be predicted by weight.

What do you all mean when you mentioned that she may be using veganism/vegetarianism to cover up an eating disorder?

"I'm talking about food, not because I'm obsessed with my food issues, but because I'm interested in the healthiness of my new lifestyle!"

"Here are pictures of my food! I'm not posting them because I'm obsessed with food, I'm posting them to give you ideas for your cruelty free diet!"

"I've lost weight under this healthy diet. I'm not doing it to lose weight, though."

etc. A lot of people use restrictive diets to mask their various food issues (being obsessed with food, preparing food and making other people eat while eating nothing, lots of weight loss) because that way they can pretend it's not about their issues, it's about the actual facts of the diet. Which they're on for cruelty/environmental/religious reasons, NOT because they have an eating disorder that needs to be covered up.

I concur. Something about "manag[ing] to gain 15 to 17 pounds", as mentioned on April 27, seems a little too precise and a little too OMGI'mfuckinggainingweight,butit'sonlyalittleweight,right?

Goodness! I think I gained 15 lbs total. Well, other than baby and water. *shrug* "Morning" sickness was a bitch.

Also-- y'all... her pantry may be low atm, but it doesn't sound like they're eating bad? What's wrong with rice and veggies. Goodness knows, there were days in early marriage that we had to do with less. LOL

Anybody want to point out that sugar isn't always vegetarian, much less vegan? veggout.blogspot.com/2012/05/decadent-vegan-challah-bread.html

Anybody want to point out that sugar isn't always vegetarian, much less vegan? veggout.blogspot.com/2012/05/decadent-vegan-challah-bread.html

vegan challah... yergggghhh that just sounds gross. And i know for a fact it is. I know people with egg allergies who say "its VILE yuk". Half the deliciousness is the richness brought about by the EGGS.

vegan challah... yergggghhh that just sounds gross. And i know for a fact it is. I know people with egg allergies who say "its VILE yuk". Half the deliciousness is the richness brought about by the EGGS.

I totally agree, and I love to make challah even more rich, by adding more eggs and making french toast with it.

I totally agree, and I love to make challah even more rich, by adding more eggs and making french toast with it.

MY mom has this bread pudding french toast recipe that if made with challah would probably be an otherworldy experience.... If I can find the recipe I'll post it in the recipe thread! NOM

Umh...living very frugally right now so she hasn't been inspired to share meal photos yet "my favorite things about being a housewife is the amount of time I have to come up with delicious and varied meals". In other words, they don't have enough money to buy enough food but earning some money as a woman is feminist humbug?

For me my priority is that my family is fine. I know how often anti-feminists love to say that this 'fine' means extra car, brand clothes, jewels and whatnot. For me fine is that we have a decent place to live, enough food at the table and in the pantry/freezer. And sure as hell I will go to work if needed (at the moment I am an ebil university student, we don't have a car). At the moment I don't even take my student allowance because I want save those months later. Yet I feel like Croesus compared to this couple. I think they could do better if they wouldn't view formal education like something dog threw up on the carpet. He would more likely to earn better even if he had just an occupational degree.

If they don't have enough money for food now when there is only two of them, what will it be when their family size grows?

There is a time and place for tight ideology and for a common sense...When children come in the picture, it is not just you anymore.

Edit: damn you prepositions, my arch enemy!

This. Plus it's not like her husband has a proper job and education anyway. They're like two kids playing house, and are in for a rude awekening once the baby arrives.

I think Lina is a fruit loop, but as a vegan I do enjoy the blog if I ignore the fundie and fake Jew accoutrements. I especially love the Bentham quote up top. I do wonder if she ever gets into online scuffles with the sort of fundies who insist that cruelty to animals and the rape and pillage of the earth are just not just fine and dandy, but commanded.

MY mom has this bread pudding french toast recipe that if made with challah would probably be an otherworldy experience.... If I can find the recipe I'll post it in the recipe thread! NOM

Bread pudding made with challah is close to nirvana and I happen to hate bread pudding.

What do you all mean when you mentioned that she may be using veganism/vegetarianism to cover up an eating disorder?

I have 4 siblings who are vegans/vegatarians (it's hard to keep track of who is what, and when), 2 of them do it for healthy living/animal cruelty issues, 2 do it as covers for eating disorders. (BTW, 5 out of 6 of us kids have food issues, including me, so I am not judging those 2). Being vegan/veggie is a legit lifestyle, there are a lot of health and environmental benefits, but when you use it to control your food and calorie intake; when you only eat rice, 3 different veggies, and soy milk; when you yell at another sibling for making banana bread to "tempt" you (no, kid # 6 just wanted some damn banana bread), or you are a strict vegan during the day and binge on brownies while everyone else is asleep, it is being used to "cover" an eating disorder.

I have 4 siblings who are vegans/vegatarians (it's hard to keep track of who is what, and when), 2 of them do it for healthy living/animal cruelty issues, 2 do it as covers for eating disorders. (BTW, 5 out of 6 of us kids have food issues, including me, so I am not judging those 2). Being vegan/veggie is a legit lifestyle, there are a lot of health and environmental benefits, but when you use it to control your food and calorie intake; when you only eat rice, 3 different veggies, and soy milk; when you yell at another sibling for making banana bread to "tempt" you (no, kid # 6 just wanted some damn banana bread), or you are a strict vegan during the day and binge on brownies while everyone else is asleep, it is being used to "cover" an eating disorder.

but sometimes it is a way to deal with eating disorder. A friend of mine is in this situation and we shared an apartment at some point: she was eating enough calories, was cooking for all meals, and ate a diversity of food. Being vegan just meant she had control of what she was eating, a control that still meant she was eating enough calories and getting a diversity of produce. Sometimes it's just how that particular person deals with their eating disorder.

Guest Anonymous

Bread pudding made with challah is close to nirvana and I happen to hate bread pudding.

My grandmother made a chocolate bread pudding that was freaking divine. I didn't get the recipe from her before she died, and I have tried to recreate it without success. I keep playing around trying to get it right, maybe one day I will.

I think Lina is a fruit loop, but as a vegan I do enjoy the blog if I ignore the fundie and fake Jew accoutrements. I especially love the Bentham quote up top. I do wonder if she ever gets into online scuffles with the sort of fundies who insist that cruelty to animals and the rape and pillage of the earth are just not just fine and dandy, but commanded.

I hate those sorts of fundies! Makes me so angry.

I'm also a vegetarian heading towards a sort of part-time veganism and I don't know anyone who is appears to be like that to cover up or deal with eating disorders. I'm definitely not lol. I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it's really common, most of us are just concerned about the animals.

I have a friend who is vegan, went through a pregnancy completely vegan, has a baby eating vegan formula (poor kiddo has jaw malformation issues and couldn't nurse and my friend felt SO GUILTY) and I realized when at her baby shower and going out to eat with her and her husband a few times that vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy. LOTS of junk food is vegan.

Sorry for derailing the conversation there. I gained 50lbs with each pregnancy, which was gone within three months of each birth. Water weight, most of it.

I cannot stand how she completely lies about certain things. For example, she never had to ask her parents' permission to email/talk/date TT, yet she says here:

"Then, he asked if we could begin writing letters for the purpose of getting to know each other better. It was then that I asked for my parents’ blessing and permission. They agreed.

To make a long story short, we exchanged a few letters, and continued to e-mail. During that time, we were falling in love, and my parents could see that. Permission to begin talking on the phone was granted"

She also played around with the story of him Facebook stalking her. I vividly remember her saying that she closed her account and made a secret new one. Yet this is how she now spins it:

"He sent me a message introducing himself in a very respectful manner. After a few messages had been exchanged between us, in which we talked about our interest in the Jewishness of the Bible, I decided to let him know I did not feel comfortable conversing privately with him, explaining that I wanted to keep my heart pure for my future husband. I had determined early on in my life that I would not date, and instead wait on Hashem’s perfect timing for Him to send me my husband. He replied immediately, stating that he respected my desire and would not send me messages anymore.

Soon after, I removed my account and began a new one without telling him. However, I continued to keep him in my thoughts, and the desire to hear from him again became stronger every day. Eventually, he found me and sent me a message expressing his relief."

She also spins her "stay at home daughterhood" and her parents' "ministry". She is tossing around catch phrases like wiffle ball. And, like a whiffle ball, her stories are full of holes and hot air.

Dang, she curdles my milk. Why does she have to make everything into something it never was??

Archived