IGNORED

Preggo Lina

Beeks

If more pregnant women ate like Lina instead of using pregnancy as an excuse to gain excessive amounts of weight and eat junk, we would have a lot more healthy pregnancies in this country.

27% of US women of childbearing age are obese. Even just being overweight or gaining too much weight during pregnancy puts you at higher risk for gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. And around 70% of pregnant women gain more than the recommended amount. (Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ant-women/)

Judging from Lina's whole blog, but especially her post What Does a Pregnant Vegan eat (veggout.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-does-pregnant-vegan-eat.html), she IS consuming a well-balanced diet, even with her restrictions. No one here can ensure that she is eating exactly the right amount of food (not too much or too little), but the food she is eating is excellent: whole grains, flaxseed (Omega-3's), legumes, nutritional yeast (protein & B-12), tons of fruits and veggies, avocados (healthy fats), tofu (protein), lentils, smoothies, seaweed, peanut butter, tahini... what exactly is wrong with this?

I completely agree that there is also a risk of not gaining enough weight during pregnancy, but I don't think that what Lina has written even suggests that's what's happening with her. It seems like an effort to just find something, anything, she's doing wrong.

Wow. Fat shaming much?

I have news for you. I"m on the borderline of between "overweight" and "obese" before pregnancy. I have had NO issues with pre-e or GD. In fact, ALL the women I know with GD, have been "normal" weight. My SIL is definitely medically "obese" and she has no issues with either as well.

And I have news for you. With my son, I gained 18-20lbs and ate like a pig. I left the hospital in my "skinny" pre partum clothes. With this baby? i've gained 10 and I'm at 28 weeks. I haven't been watching what I eat at all except to make sure I get a lot of protein. I have friends who are normal weight, and eat VERY mindfully during pregnancy- cut out sugar, caffiene, etc, and end up gaining 40+ lbs. Pregnancy is DIFFERENT FOR EACH WOMAN. Every woman's body is different and processes the hormones differently.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If more pregnant women ate like Lina instead of using pregnancy as an excuse to gain excessive amounts of weight and eat junk, we would have a lot more healthy pregnancies in this country.

27% of US women of childbearing age are obese. Even just being overweight or gaining too much weight during pregnancy puts you at higher risk for gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. And around 70% of pregnant women gain more than the recommended amount. (Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ant-women/)

Judging from Lina's whole blog, but especially her post What Does a Pregnant Vegan eat (veggout.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-does-pregnant-vegan-eat.html), she IS consuming a well-balanced diet, even with her restrictions. No one here can ensure that she is eating exactly the right amount of food (not too much or too little), but the food she is eating is excellent: whole grains, flaxseed (Omega-3's), legumes, nutritional yeast (protein & B-12), tons of fruits and veggies, avocados (healthy fats), tofu (protein), lentils, smoothies, seaweed, peanut butter, tahini... what exactly is wrong with this?

I completely agree that there is also a risk of not gaining enough weight during pregnancy, but I don't think that what Lina has written even suggests that's what's happening with her. It seems like an effort to just find something, anything, she's doing wrong.

Ok your fat shaming sucks. I'm sure you're not particularly interested in that aspect of your post but I'm a former fat shamer who is making amends.

Lina's diet on paper sounds healthy almost on the money, except they have not had money to buy food for a couple of weeks. Natrually LaLina doesn't do the WIC thing so even if her diet could be filling, its not close to balanced. Of course this is LaLina so we don't really know how many weeks of food privation her fetus has been subject to. I'm sure some nice peach scented candles make up for it all :roll:

I have news for you. I"m on the borderline of between "overweight" and "obese" before pregnancy. I have had NO issues with pre-e or GD. In fact, ALL the women I know with GD, have been "normal" weight. My SIL is definitely medically "obese" and she has no issues with either as well.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't change the medical reality that being overweight/obese puts you at a higher risk for those conditions. Not EVERY overweight woman will have GD. But being at a healthy weight reduces your risk. It's as simple as that.

ETA: It's not "fat-shaming" for me to cite medical evidence about the risks of being overweight during pregnancy. Those are facts. However, if I was making hateful or derogatory comments about being overweight, then yes, I would be fat-shaming. I do though see a lot of hateful and derogatory comments directed toward Lina in this thread.

Wait, Lina qualifies for WIC and isn't taking it?!

Lina. If somebody offers you free* stuff for your baby, SAY YES PLEASE THANK YOU. On my state's plan, you could get beans, soy milk, almond milk, peanut butter, dairy-free whole-grain bread or sacks of barley and brown rice, juice, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Your baby doesn't need a pot of message. S/he needs food!

*Paid for using the mass buying power provided by the 0.59 cent of each of your tax dollars that is combined with everyone else's taxes in order to provide food for the hungry. But essentially free.

Wait, Lina qualifies for WIC and isn't taking it?!

Lina. If somebody offers you free* stuff for your baby, SAY YES PLEASE THANK YOU. On my state's plan, you could get beans, soy milk, almond milk, peanut butter, dairy-free whole-grain bread or sacks of barley and brown rice, juice, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Your baby doesn't need a pot of message. S/he needs food!

*Paid for using the mass buying power provided by the 0.59 cent of each of your tax dollars that is combined with everyone else's taxes in order to provide food for the hungry. But essentially free.

Not to worry if the candles are soy she can gnaw on them.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't change the medical reality that being overweight/obese puts you at a higher risk for those conditions. Not EVERY overweight woman will have GD. But being at a healthy weight reduces your risk. It's as simple as that.

ETA: It's not "fat-shaming" for me to cite medical evidence about the risks of being overweight during pregnancy. Those are facts. However, if I was making hateful or derogatory comments about being overweight, then yes, I would be fat-shaming. I do though see a lot of hateful and derogatory comments directed toward Lina in this thread.

So why isn't my GP, midwives or fertility dr worried if its SUCH A BIG DEAL?? oh wait, THEY'RE NOT. Oh and BTW, BMI is bullshit. I know someone with a BMI that would say she's obese, but she's a weightlifter. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =106268439.

Oh and BTW, BMI is bullshit.

I wouldn't go quite that far. :) But I do agree somewhat b/c my DH lifts weights and his BMI would be technically overweight. But he's not, he just has higher muscle mass than average.

Body fat percentage is probably a better measure.

I never mentioned BMI... you can take that up with the NY times, though. :)

I would honestly love to. Doctors too, when they start basing their treatment of BMI.

I would honestly love to. Doctors too, when they start basing their treatment of BMI.

That was a gracious response. Seriously!

Okay, I'm done hogging the thread. Just wanted to share my $.02, or I guess $2.50 by now.

Reporters say that people who make a profit off of putting other people on diets say that medical studies say that being socially unacceptably fat makes you sick and being socially acceptably thin makes you healthy. Meanwhile, the cold hard numbers say something else. See wellroundedmama.blogspot.com. (Why are we being targeted? Another blogger speculates that it's a Western delusion that if we just do everything perfectly, we will stay young forever and never die. But we fat people are bulgy and saggy and we don't look like taut teen athletes, and yet we don't fall over and die of not being the current ideal, showing that the endless pursuit of perfect tautness is a waste of time, which makes people who are heavily invested in the thin game upset. Makes sense to me.)

Doctors all over the English-speaking Western world say that if you have exactly the same medical problems as a socially acceptably thin person, but you're socially unacceptably fat, you don't deserve treatment. You must become thin. Then your problems will disappear. If you don't become thin, you deserve punishment. For the results of this malpractice, see fathealth.wordpress.com.

It is conventional wisdom that hunger is a sort of glitch in the system, a distraction from the all-important task of attempting to eat perfectly or attempting to make your children eat perfectly. For accounts of the harm this conventional wisdom does, see the feedingdoctor.com.

Back on topic: Lina, please go to WIC and get yourself a nice thick peanut butter sandwich and a tall glass of soy milk with a banana on the side.

Reporters say that people who make a profit off of putting other people on diets say that medical studies say that being socially unacceptably fat makes you sick and being socially acceptably thin makes you healthy. Meanwhile, the cold hard numbers say something else. See wellroundedmama.blogspot.com. (Why are we being targeted? Another blogger speculates that it's a Western delusion that if we just do everything perfectly, we will stay young forever and never die. But we fat people are bulgy and saggy and we don't look like taut teen athletes, and yet we don't fall over and die of not being the current ideal, showing that the endless pursuit of perfect tautness is a waste of time, which makes people who are heavily invested in the thin game upset. Makes sense to me.)

Doctors all over the English-speaking Western world say that if you have exactly the same medical problems as a socially acceptably thin person, but you're socially unacceptably fat, you don't deserve treatment. You must become thin. Then your problems will disappear. If you don't become thin, you deserve punishment. For the results of this malpractice, see fathealth.wordpress.com.

It is conventional wisdom that hunger is a sort of glitch in the system, a distraction from the all-important task of attempting to eat perfectly or attempting to make your children eat perfectly. For accounts of the harm this conventional wisdom does, see the feedingdoctor.com.

Back on topic: Lina, please go to WIC and get yourself a nice thick peanut butter sandwich and a tall glass of soy milk with a banana on the side.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly. I know thin people with heart disease.

And weight is only a problem if individually its shown to be an issue in my NON medical opinion- my weight was affecting my fertility. My dr concluded this after looking at my history and saying "so you've only had fertility problems since you've hit 235? lets try to get you down to 200, even 10 lbs lost will probably help a GREAT deal, and I think you can do that easily. If that doesn't help, we will try meds. We could try meds now but IF the weight is causing it, and nothing else has changed- all your hormone levels are textbook normal, then the meds may compound the problem by having the side effect of weight gain. " Totally non judgemental, totally NOT fat shaming, just "it seems in your case x is causing y, therefore lets try Z and if z does not work will will try treatment q" . However, I know people with 75lbs on me who have caught pregnant with absolutely no problem and had picture perfect easy peasy pregnancies and deliveries.

This is a REALLY sensitive topic for me as I have HUGE body image issues. HUGE.

Well I think we got our flounce from the unknown fundy blogger. Here I was hoping for some stimulating indoor activity since its far too brisk for out of doors action. I do cope well with disappointment though.

riffle

Well I think we got our flounce from the unknown fundy blogger. Here I was hoping for some stimulating indoor activity since its far to brisk for out of doors action. I do cope well with disappointment though.

How could you not? you have the most fabulous bacon bra in all of christendom!

This is a REALLY sensitive topic for me as I have HUGE body image issues. HUGE.

:cry: Okay, I had to respond to this. You know, this is why I shouldn't post on these forums. In my desire to defend Lina because I enjoy her blog, I don't want to make someone else struggle. I'm sorry if my post hurt you.

And in your defense, I also know a few women who were unable to get pregnant until they gained some weight, because they were too thin. Low body fat percentage isn't always the healthiest thing either, especially for women.

If you had any balls you would link your blog Calla.You are nothing but whiney little fundy who is skeered to have anyone from the hive read what you write.

If you had any balls you would link your blog Calla.You are nothing but whiney little fundy who is skeered to have anyone from the hive read what you write.

You're right. :)

You come to our house, accuse us of doing illegal things and shit on our rugs. You are a true believer.

:chores-vacuum:

See wellroundedmama.blogspot.com.

For the results of this malpractice, see fathealth.wordpress.com.

For accounts of the harm this conventional wisdom does, see the feedingdoctor.com.

Thank you for those websites. I also have some body image stuff. I'm trying just to focus on healthy eating and living.

Thank you for those websites. I also have some body image stuff. I'm trying just to focus on healthy eating and living.

Thank you from me as well - I also have massive body image issues. If I can make it through the day without having a panic attack about my weight, it's a miracle.

Ok your fat shaming sucks. I'm sure you're not particularly interested in that aspect of your post but I'm a former fat shamer who is making amends.

Lina's diet on paper sounds healthy almost on the money, except they have not had money to buy food for a couple of weeks. Natrually LaLina doesn't do the WIC thing so even if her diet could be filling, its not close to balanced. Of course this is LaLina so we don't really know how many weeks of food privation her fetus has been subject to. I'm sure some nice peach scented candles make up for it all :roll:

I totally relate to what I bolded. I admit that some years ago I was a fat shaming b...ch; my mom is one (not a b..ch but a fat shamer) and it really, really bugs me the way she talks about my weight, her's and everyone else's. A year ago my shrink prescribed me a medication and it made me gain soooooo much weight!! It gave me rages of carb-laden food, mostly late at night, that I would binge on before feeling ok to sleep. My doctor and I decided 2 months ago that I didn't need that medication anymore as one of its (many) side effect is harming your liver. Needless to say I was relieved to be off it!! So now I am only on 1 medicine for my condition. I read that some people while on higher doses of the med (the one that made me gain so much in 11 months) could gain +100 pounds!! The cravings were awful, and obviously I didn't crave brocoli or chickpeas during those munchies...Now those cravings are gone and I'm losing a bit of weight, albeit the healthy way by eating well and excercising. Granted I won't lose it fast, but hey... 8-)

So yeah, to the fat-shamer I'll just tell you that you never know what can happen one day. Accidents, illnesses, conditions that need to be taken care of with a medicine that will make you gain a lot, or just the way our metabolism slows as we age. I hope you'll realize that fat-shaming ain't the way to go...

The first-person accounts that I see over and over at places like fathealth go like this:

I had symptoms right off the checklist for hypothyroidism or PCOS or some other condition that includes weight gain. I went to the doctor for help. The doctor immediately pounced on the weight gain and said that I was only having problems becuase I was a fatty fatso who fatted around all the time, so if I got thin, the problems would go away. I went years without treatment for the actual problem.

Sometimes multiple doctors send the person away without actually helping. Sometimes the person doesn't even have a diagnosis and is just posting to vent about the baffling issues the doc won't help with, and the people who respond go "Holy crap, that's a classic indicator of [condition] and your doc should have tested for it!"

It's super that you enjoy Lina's blog. Keep in mind that many of us can't stand Lina because of her misrepresenting and disrespecting our religion. Lina is a whiny little b who planned to lie to a bet din and endanger the conversions of who knows how many people because she hearts "yeshua" and doesn't give a rats ass about anyone else.

You notice we don't snark on random vegan blogs. Just this one. Because it is lina, and she deserves it. And it's fun.

Archived