IGNORED

Jesse Maxwell's graduation photos are up!!

0 kids n not countin

Let the snarking begin!!

I'm surprised they actually seem to do "full-on" hugs and not side hugs, even between the brothers & sisters...

Guess Mary is the only homeschooler left, what will Terri do after Mary graduates?

As per Sarah:

Christopher being his funny uncle self. I can’t wait to see him with his own children.

Because you know it's not likely that daddy will let you get married and have your own family, you'll have to "live" through being an aunt to all of your brother's (& maybe your younger sister's) children... I guess if you can't be a mother, being a spinster aunt is the next best thing... so sad... as has been said before, poor Sarah Maxwell... :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Sarah wearing exactly the same thing as her mother? That's creepy.

Why is Sarah wearing exactly the same thing as her mother? That's creepy.

Sola, I noticed that too, and also it's a "god-awful" outfit.

Maybe they're into the mother-daughter "mini-me" thing...

Mother-daughter dresses

If you're into the "mini-me" idea, one sweet option is a classic printed shift dress for mom and daughter like the Lily Pulitzer Little Lilly loopy shift ($68) and corresponding grownup version. Or, you can go with dresses that are similar in feel, but not identical. Zara Kids has a pleated dress ($39.90) with a peter pan collar and there's a similar-style for mom ($59.90) with short sleeves and a full skirt.

When I had my homeschool graduation, we had a big party with my friends and family. No Bible time.

It really is sad that the Maxwell kids don't even get to have friends at all, even other homeschoolers or kids from a church (impossible with nursing home church, I suppose) to share these things with. :(

MonkeyMomma, that's cool about your graduation,

Glad you celebrated with your friends and family and it's also good to know not all homeschooling families are wacko!!

:? My 3rd son is graduating too this month and I think our party will be a world's difference from the Maxwell's. Already my bestie and sisters are planning the drink menu and planning huge amounts of surprises. I just hope that no one throws up on the cat this time and passes out on the floor covered by dogs. :whistle:

What about the awesome gifts? A tool set, framed picture with your name in it and a penguin. What every high school grad I know wants to get as gifts!

I don't have a problem with bible time or getting a penguin from your little niece as a graduation gift, but these two things together and the fact that it is a Maxwell "party" just makes it creepy. And yes, the matching outfit is horrible. This family is so strange in so many ways that it is sometimes hard to lay the finger on the things that give me shivers.. its just too much!

@ladypuglover: sounds like parties in your house are really interesting.. ;-)

I don't have a problem with bible time or getting a penguin from your little niece as a graduation gift, but these two things together and the fact that it is a Maxwell "party" just makes it creepy. And yes, the matching outfit is horrible. This family is so strange in so many ways that it is sometimes hard to lay the finger on the things that give me shivers.. its just too much!

@ladypuglover: sounds like parties in your house are really interesting.. ;-)

I'm not bothered by any of it except for the whole matching thing. That's creepy. Really creepy.

I can't help but wondering just what it's like - last week he was in school, today he has a party, and now he's not. But day to day, just how is his life going to be different?

He's still at home. Surely the "school" slots in his schedule will be filled with something else, but what? Does he have a slot in the family business? Or god forbid will he work outside the house and be away from home for the work hours? (can't imagine that...)

It's all just so alien to my experience - high school we finished in March, then come the beginning of April, everyone went on to either a job (it was all back when the economy was great!) or to their next level of school. Ditch one uniform for another one, and EVERYTHING changing. Big excitement, major fear, but major excitement too.

There are a few businesses hanging off the Maxwell orbit that never seem to have their web presence updated at all - the contracting firm is a main one. We never hear anything about them taking jobs (other than adding on the One Ton Ramp clubhouse to the family's own house a while back) and I can't imagine any company going with no presence, OR the Maxwells having a thriving business that they wouldn't be advertising constantly (as they do with their writing) so I have to wonder how that's going. I suppose technically he'll belong to "Communication Concepts, Inc." like the rest of them, but day to day, just... what?

I love how Bible time is NEVER EVER SKIPPED. How many times do they have Bible time a day anyhow? At least twice as far as I can tell.

I love how Bible time is NEVER EVER SKIPPED. How many times do they have Bible time a day anyhow? At least twice as far as I can tell.

They have silent reading (each person reading individually, but all together in a room, and SILENT) at 5AM or so every morning, and then the big family devotional time at night (the sort of thing that Steve-O promotes in his "Feed My Sheep" book).

During the day they're supposed to just recall Bible verses from their own memory to encourage themselves if they're feeling down or in trouble or whatever. I'm not sure if they have extra additional Bible time added on for special occasions or what.

When I had my homeschool graduation, we had a big party with my friends and family. No Bible time.

It really is sad that the Maxwell kids don't even get to have friends at all, even other homeschoolers or kids from a church (impossible with nursing home church, I suppose) to share these things with. :(

Which is kind of the point. Steve Maxwell is a tyrannical dick.

So how are Jesse and Joseph preparing to have a family of their own without the job? ITonramp just can't make enough money to support a wife and a bunch of kids even if you don't spend money on things like insurance.

It really is sad that the Maxwell kids don't even get to have friends at all, even other homeschoolers or kids from a church (impossible with nursing home church, I suppose) to share these things with

Yeah, that can't happen. Steve says having a friend is simply not worth the risk. Even a friend from church who shares your beliefs is not okay. He writes about this in his corners. Someone outside the family might say or do something unacceptable. You know, like have an idea or thought not planted by Steve himself. Another family might not have every single exact same belief, habit, tradition, practice, etc. There can be NO exposure to anything other than what Steve deems permissible. It really is a wonder that Christopher and Nathan were allowed to get married. But I guess the wives can be retrained into proper submission in case either one ever had anything close to an actual friend.

Oh that madcap Christopher! Taking pictures with his smart phone! How funny is that? :roll:

Seriously, I'm not sure what any of the reversal boys do for a living. Well, Joseph has been called by the lord to do One Ton Ramp, but not sure what John and Jesse do all day. I think Jesse designs and maintains web sites, but is that enough to earn a living? Especially since he probably wouldn't design for anyone not a Maxwell approved Christian.

During the day they're supposed to just recall Bible verses from their own memory to encourage themselves if they're feeling down or in trouble or whatever.

I'm wondering if there are any valid reasons--that is, reasons that Steve would accept--for feeling down in Maxwell-dom.

I am also wondering how long it takes them to run through the whole Bible and, once they've completed a full reading, if they start over again at Genesis or they mix it up. Can you imagine plodding through every book, same order, year after year after year? And do they "discuss" what they read, or do they just read aloud?

It was nice to see Melanie there. Was she at NRAnna's shower? If so, I missed her. The only other preggo woman I saw was "Mrs. L" of tattoo fame.

Yeah, that can't happen. Steve says having a friend is simply not worth the risk. Even a friend from church who shares your beliefs is not okay. He writes about this in his corners. Someone outside the family might say or do something unacceptable. You know, like have an idea or thought not planted by Steve himself. Another family might not have every single exact same belief, habit, tradition, practice, etc. There can be NO exposure to anything other than what Steve deems permissible. It really is a wonder that Christopher and Nathan were allowed to get married. But I guess the wives can be retrained into proper submission in case either one ever had anything close to an actual friend.

makes me wonder why the boys are even allowed to get married and when Stevie will be so freaking crazy to promote marrying sister and brother.. since it always gets worse and never better with these fundies, it'll be no surprise. :o :shock: :? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It was nice to see Melanie there. Was she at NRAnna's shower? If so, I missed her. The only other preggo woman I saw was "Mrs. L" of tattoo fame.

Yes, she's wearing a long (of course) brown skirt and floral top in one of the photos.

The no-friends policy, perhaps more than anything, underscores Steve's insecurity and lack of confidence in himself and his family. A less controlling and fearful fundie might think of socializing as an occasion to witness to others. Steve doesn't even trust his kids to do that. All that Bible time, all that preaching, all that control, and he thinks it will all collapse if the "children" talk to peers with ever-so-slightly dissimilar beliefs or interests.

Does it bother anyone else that they are all wearing outdoor shoes inside the house on carpet?

Or maybe it isn't an issue since nobody goes anywhere anyhow to possibly step in and track sidewalk spit home. :?

Does it bother anyone else that they are all wearing outdoor shoes inside the house on carpet?

Or maybe it isn't an issue since nobody goes anywhere anyhow to possibly step in and track sidewalk spit home. :?

It bothers me. I don't wear outside shoes in our mostly-carpeted condo, and I can't imagine sitting around the house all day in "real shoes." (But let's not start the shoes-inside debate again! ;) )

Of course, as cleaning-obsessed as the Maxs are, I'm sure they vacuum all rugs every single day.

Didn't realize there had been a brouhaha over shoes - just noticed they all were wearing 'em.

Yeah they probably shop vac the compound twice daily.

Notice that Teri is looking really worn out and old in these photos too.

Archived