IGNORED

How well do you know the Bible?

gustava

24/25

I missed the one about presidential speeches.

Thanks to my fundie past, I found most of them pretty easy. I don't read the Bible very much nowadays, but it sticks with you when you've been beaten over the head with it in your formative years. It's an advantage in my field, though (Early Christianity); likewise for my ex-fundie husband and ex-fundie close friend, who are both PhD candidates in English and pick up on lots of literary allusions that their colleagues (even the Catholic ones) miss.

24/25. I didn't recognize the quote from the Book of Amos. Eastern Orthodox idol worshipper here. ;)

Ha ha. I wasn't home at the time but apparently my mother-in-law freaked out when she saw our icon corner.

25/25 but I'm a former minister. Clearly I learned something in divinity school.

13/25 :D I think know biblical sayings and biblical teachings pretty well, but I don't know Paul from Jerry.

23/25

I missed that the Little Drummer Boy question was a trap. I know he's not in the Bible - but, hey...

And I missed the ones about the presidents' speeches. I sorta, kinda recognized that Washington was alluding to the Bible, but it wasn't enough for me to give the correct answer.

(And poor Ishmael - I almost forgot about him.)

17/25 It was Old Testament history that did me in, including David's lineage and Ishmael.

21/25 but should have been 22/25 because I misread one. boo hiss!

Atheist with Anglican & Baptist childhood.

Won a bible when I was a kid for knowing all the books of the bible in order.

15/25. I really thought I would do better! I got 100% on the Pew Forum religious literacy quiz a few years ago.

Lifelong atheist, but I did take two courses on the Bible in college. I was bored to death, though, and clearly didn't pay too much attention to who was related to who.

Former lukewarm Baptist, now atheist, got 18/25. I never learned a thing about Amos. I was never taught much about Ruth, either :?

25/25.

Thanks to my fundie past, I found most of them pretty easy. I don't read the Bible very much nowadays, but it sticks with you when you've been beaten over the head with it in your formative years. It's an advantage in my field, though (Early Christianity); likewise for my ex-fundie husband and ex-fundie close friend, who are both PhD candidates in English and pick up on lots of literary allusions that their colleagues (even the Catholic ones) miss.

Sounds familiar. When I was working on my master's degree, I was the wet blanket in poetry seminars. Whenever we read unannotated editions, people would say, "Oh, this poet's phrase here is so cool!" and start to close-read it, at which point I'd get impatient and point out which psalm it was from.

The habit didn't do me many favors with other students, but I've never quite gotten over being that homeschooled kid who did.not.know. that sometimes correctness = smartassery.

23/25 I missed the one about the little drummer boy (I KNOW he's not in the Bible) and the speeches of the presidents.

I missed that one, as well. And the one about Amos. I said Jeremiah.

Only 16/25, Lutheran. Pathetic, as I've read the entire Bible, but I'm terrible at remembering names and I zoned out every time I tried to read the lineages, so that did me in. I'm guessing I'm also not so good with the Old Testament.

Also in my head Abraham's first son was "Abraham's and Sarah's" first son so I picked Isaac instead of Ishmael, wasn't thinking about that whole "I'll sleep with the maid" part of the story...

I mean, pillar of salt? Donkey? Amos? And I didn't remember Ezekiel's dream. Why on earth would I actually need to know that and why would it be memorable?

Excuses aside, I was expecting the quiz to be a little more aimed at challenging common misconceptions that the crazy people we discuss here have, and a little less of "Do you remember these very tiny details from that enormous tome, pulled out at random and rarely concerning anything relevant to how to live a loving life?"

Because basically what I focus on in my "Christian Walk" as they say, is loving my neighbor...which has nothing to do with memorizing which Old Testament animal talked.

Just wanted to add, that having an English degree I did at least manage the literary references alright :) I was the annoying kid in school who would point those out and answered the questions about them too often, whoops.

25/25. Guess I'm ready as I'll ever be for my Bible as Lit final tomorrow...the last final of my loooong college career.

eta to note my affiliations as both an English major and atheist. :mrgreen:

23/25. Missed the one about Abraham's first born son. Can't remember which other question I missed. :oops:

Call me Ishmael. I wrote a paper on Sarah/Hagar earlier this semester. :D

23/25. I missed the one about the presidential quotes because they weren't verbatim quotes, which threw me off. And another one, I forget which. These were pretty easy, most of them. Did it in 5 minutes.

Call me Ishmael. I wrote a paper on Sarah/Hagar earlier this semester. :D

:lol: I actually sat there and whispered that like a mantra for a minute while I debated which was the right answer. Alas, it didn't work! :doh:

I did this earlier, I think I got 20. I think my mistakes was with names as I have used to their Finnish forms (for example, I still don't remember if someone says Leviticus what it is in Finnish. They are simply the first/second/third/fourth/fifth book of Moses here.)

Calling them either by their names or by numbers it not necessarily a matter of country/language, but custom, it can be either in German, depending on what you prefer.

19 out of 25. Went to the Church of Christ w/ my dh for about 12 years (with several lapses before just giving up). I was raised ebil secular w/ anti-organized religion lib'ral parents, but still knew as many Biblical references as my husband from English classes when we met. Of course, in the CoC mostly what you learn about is Paul, as in, women shut the hell up in church.

Archived