IGNORED

Went To A Fundie Wedding

Creaky Mom

Yeah, all the weddings I had been to as a child/teen had the cake and punch and little mints in the fellowship hall. When I was an adult I went to my first wedding that had actual food, dancing and an open bar. I had no idea how "the other side" did things. I was shocked.

I'm envious of the idea of cake and punch in the fellowship hall! I wanted that, (ideal would've been no alcohol, finger foods and homemade cake) but wasn't allowed to because it's "rude, insulting and just not done" here. :roll: Where ever snarkbillie's childhood home is, here I come!

I'm envious of the idea of cake and punch in the fellowship hall! I wanted that, (ideal would've been no alcohol, finger foods and homemade cake) but wasn't allowed to because it's "rude, insulting and just not done" here. :roll: Where ever snarkbillie's childhood home is, here I come!

I've only been to Catholic weddings...they have food, alcohol and dancing, but there is submission...still a win in my books

Yeah, all the weddings I had been to as a child/teen had the cake and punch and little mints in the fellowship hall. When I was an adult I went to my first wedding that had actual food, dancing and an open bar. I had no idea how "the other side" did things. I was shocked.

My wedding (35 years ago, still married to the same guy) had a fellowship-hall-cake-and-punch-reception. The rehearsal dinner the evening before was a nice dinner at a nice place. Since we paid for all of it ourselves, no help from anyone, and it was the best we could do (and this was common in our group of friends), I still am not apologizing for it.

I had been married for 10 years before I realized that I should be ashamed of that cake-and-punch reception, or that it was snark-worthy. :roll:

ETA The wedding itself was 20 minutes tops. 3 songs, 5 minutes from the pastor, vows, done. (No "obey" in it, even back then...)

I was at a fundie wedding years and years ago when my former best friend got married. She had drunk the Kool-aid well and truly. No alcohol or dancing (of course!) but it was the speeches that I remember best. Long testimonies. She had married a Lebonese fellow who had converted and he gave a huge speech that failed to mention his new bride. His parents got a mention "My parents have not yet found the Lord". Sheesh!

Entertainment was bible choruses sung to an accordian accompaniment. Double Sheesh!

Thankfully, the only fundie weddings I've been to are Orthodox Jewish weddings. Usually there will be an open bar, lots of wine and a ton of dancing -- although the men and women dance separately. Those weddings are usually very fun.

A couple of the weddings I've attended had a prayer service (mincha) immediately prior to the ceremony. OJ's pray 3 times a day, and the prayer time coincided with the cocktail hour. Most of the guests enjoyed the cocktail hour while the most religious men (and some unsuspecting men) davened (prayed) in another room.

I went to a Baptist (non fundy) wedding where the groom (a 40 year old virgin youth minister) stopped the wedding right before the bride came down the aisle to let the congregation know that God had forgiven the bride (a non-virgin) for her past transgressions, then proceeded to ask everyone to pray and invite Jesus into their heart...and while keeping our eyes closed he asked us to please stand if we had decided right then and there to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour so he could be praying for us.... "ok, now the bride can have her moment..." skipped that reception .

I went to a Baptist (non fundy) wedding where the groom (a 40 year old virgin youth minister) stopped the wedding right before the bride came down the aisle to let the congregation know that God had forgiven the bride (a non-virgin) for her past transgressions, then proceeded to ask everyone to pray and invite Jesus into their heart...and while keeping our eyes closed he asked us to please stand if we had decided right then and there to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour so he could be praying for us.... "ok, now the bride can have her moment..." skipped that reception .

:o :o

Thats awful. That woulda had me being the runaway bride in no time.

That is....I can't even believe someone would do that to someone they supposedly love. It seems like he just wanted to shame and publicly humiliate her.

Wow, I once went to a wedding where the nicest thing I can say is that the ashtrays in the bathroom stalls were clean and they at least attempted to decorate the industrial garage doors.

I think the wedding you went to sounds worse.

Wow, I once went to a wedding where the nicest thing I can say is that the ashtrays in the bathroom stalls were clean and they at least attempted to decorate the industrial garage doors.

I think the wedding you went to sounds worse.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same with me. In a way, if my ex-husband had done that, I never would had to go through a divorce.

• 2 years later...

I don't get why a punch, nuts, mints and cake reception is such a bad thing. I went to any number of them growing up. Have a wedding at one, have the reception at two... a little mingling, a little gift opening... and bye! Do people truly require alcohol, a meal, and dancing? I suppose the reception must be held at a better venue than a church hall or a fire hall as well... SMH..

Archived