IGNORED

If God made me in his image then why am I imperfect?

DarkAnts

I definitely didn't want to cause any type of debate, just sharing my personal opinion. I never claimed to be an expert at my faith, the bible, or why God has done what he's done. Because honestly, I don't know it all, I will probably never know it all, and I'm ok with that.

I'm on this board because I find fundies snark worthy. Yet, I don't agree with what everyone here thinks or believes, but I respect all of you and I would appreciate getting that back in return.

I definitely didn't want to cause any type of debate, just sharing my personal opinion. I never claimed to be an expert at my faith, the bible, or why God has done what he's done. Because honestly, I don't know it all, I will probably never know it all, and I'm ok with that.

I'm on this board because I find fundies snark worthy. Yet, I don't agree with what everyone here thinks or believes, but I respect all of you and I would appreciate getting that back in return.

Are you being disrespected?

I am in no way perfect. I was born with a genetic skin condition called icthyosis. Its a condition where my body produces skin cells faster then it sheds old ones. My skin is not smooth. It lacks an even skin tone and has a tendency to become infected if I cut it. On top of this, I have psoriasis, allergies, asthma, and stretch marks due to the icthyosis and psoriasis.

i have always struggled with religion. I was told that God was perfect and he made me in his image. If I am not perfect then it is my fault. I have done something wrong to cause God to punish me. As an adult, I know that there was nothing I could do to keep these genetic conditions from happening. I have also come to the conclusion that if God made me in his image, then God is not perfect. He has faults (I think one of those faults is being quick to anger). I understand now that no one can be perfect. My skin condition makes others uncomfortable because it makes them confront the fact that they are not perfect. I am tempted to start a blog to talk about living as an imperfect person. I have not done so yet, because it would be a big commitment.

I do have some questions for research sake. How do fundies deal with the genetic "imperfections"? Also, how do they deal with the fact that there are a variety of skin colors? (If God made all of us in his image, then he must either have polka dots or stripes).

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through physically. I'm also sorry to hear you describe yourself as an imperfect person.

I'm not a fundie Christian, and my religion does not see G-d as having a physical form. That said, from my perspective, I'd say that you are not defined by your skin. YOU are not imperfect - you are a person who is good and valuable and precious at the core of your being, and the physical imperfections are just a temporary shell.

Sin did not occur in the Garden of Eden. Not according to the Bible at least. Christians have a lot of extra-Biblical theories and this is one of them. Before eating the fruit, Adam and Eve had no knowledge of good and evil and thus could not sin. What changed was *them*. And God already knew that they were going to eat the fruit; He created them with the knowledge that the way He made them would lead to this. So nothing about human nature changed, just their awareness of right and wrong.

This argument assumes that you believe in the story as a literal historical record, of course, which I do not.

Archived