IGNORED

Oh Mullet, what will it be next?

marmalade

You know, on one hand, I don't think there's anything wrong with learning a trade. I really think that, in general, society puts so much emphasis on "Going to school and learning something to earn you big bucks" that we kind of lose sight of things like basic car mechanics, electricians, etc.

Trades are important, and there are a lot of people who earn very good livings at them. I would be totally happy for my son if that's the career path he chooses. Do SOMETHING, enjoy it, get as good as possible at it, and prosper. I'll watch the grandkids!

However, the Duggars have essentially pigeonholed their kids into only really being able to pick up a trade, and not even fully do that because they are all into "Owning their own business" or whatever it is they are doing. A lot of trades have schools and courses involved to become certified. I doubt the Duggars will ever do any of that, unless they escape from their crazy parents. I doubt Josh ever took any courses on business management, and will eventually run that carlot into the ground.

Which brings me to my next theory; there really aren't any more Duggar courtships, because, for all thier grandstanding about Josh being financially cut off and independent, we all know that's bullshit and they're likely supporting his family pretty heavily. I'm pretty sure that they aren't ready to have to support a third family if another one of their kids gets married and starts furthering the Gothard agenda through blatant uterus abuse.

I agree there is nothing wrong with learning a trade. The Duggars like being in control of their kids and they would loathe the idea of the boys attending a trade school. To them a trade school would be on the same level as an ebil public university. It would be another place that could possibly corrupt their blessings. I also agree, the reason that there isn't another courtship could be that they aren't ready to support a third family. TLC is part of the reason that Boob and Mullet can help support Josh and his family. Hopefully, John David is preparing for life without TLC and I can see him being a good provider unlike Joshie boy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has now posted a blog about dealing with her children's "learning difficulties". I'm beginning to feel like they are just going down our list of issues and trying to combat them, however miserably.

OMG. I so have this. It's just like a list of those little things in life I find difficult. I have had a recurring dream since childhood where I am in a phone box trying to dial a number and I can't do it. I just start over and over again and can't finish. I also have terrible trouble with remembering names and understanding games and sports. How very odd. I was always a straight A girl in everything apart from maths and physics. It all adds up. :lol:

To add to the list, I was diagnosed at 18 with a Nonverbal learning disability- Horrible hand/eye coordination, visual perception issues(drawing, building models, puzzles), visual-motor integration(being able to write or draw what they see) issues, horrible visual memory, and horrible visual-spatial organization and I have trouble with social cues and things(I try and tell people I am not trying to be rude or inconsiderate, I just started to learn what social cues were at 18, so sometimes I talk about myself a lot, or I ignore people because I don't have anything "meaningful" to say and don't know how to do chit chat)

In my real life it means I don't get up from a restaurant or movie theatre without someone because I can't find my way back to my seat, I am super clumsy and can't remember buildings or directions. Like at all. I could go passed a red building with the number 142 and I would probably tell you it was grey. My boyfriend now uses street names with left and right(instead of insisting I learn what the hell north, south, east and west are....)

I'm from a blue collar family and I agree that there's nothing wrong with learning a trade. But there's also no reason a person who works in a trade has to be ignorant. Education is more than learning a vocation, and even more than just assimilating information. It's about civic awareness, exposure to ideas,and, most important, developing the critical skills to be able to evaluate information and ideas that you come across.

In the Duggars case, it also should probably be about being exposed to music so they know what it should sound like.

Hope I'm not digressing too much (I'm new here) but Zach Bates' diatribe on why he supports Rick Santorum (which I don't for a minute believe he wrote himself) shows the serious gaps in Bates and Duggars' home schooling--for example, he says that under a Paul presidency states would be able to set different laws and people would be able to go to another state and do immoral things that are legal in their state (with the implication that under Santorum that would be different). So he apparently believes that the president has the power to abolish the differentiation of powers between state governments and the federal government as established in the Constitution (assuming he knows what the Constitution is). This guy is in "college?"

I'm the first in my family to have graduated college and only one out of 10 kids has also done so, so I'm not what the beloved Santorum would call a "snob" about needing that particular type of education. But all of us know what the Constitution is. We all read newspapers and know how to evaluate what we read. We all even read books.

"My kids are going to be servants of the Lord and work with their hands so they don't need to know anything" is a crock.

They posted the article on the 19K&C Facebook page. I'm seeing comments referring to people who are leaving "virulent" comments, but I'm not actually seeing any of the disagreeing comments.

Disclaimer: I am using World War Z as my reference, but I think it makes sense.....

So in the book, after the initial zombie apocalypse where they are left trying to rebuild infrastructures and simply survive, they end up creating programs to retrain people, because there are so few that know an actual trade. Growing food, building, fixing, etc. I don't think it was far off from reality, in that there are just not a lot of people who would know how to continue surviving without all of the amenities we have today. Nor would they know how to rebuild an infrastructure, maintain buildings, fix vehicles, whatever it takes, you know?

I think it's a valuable thing to know a trade. Not just towing cars or being a landlord, which is essentially what the duggars do, but real trade. As a society, we look down on those with "No aspirations" who become mechanics, electricians, builders because they don't always require a coveted "College education".

And, should the zombie apocalypse ever happen, I think the duggars will be just as bad off as the rest of us desk jockeys :lol They may claim to know a trade, but they really don't. They just live off of Daddy Duggar's real estate investments and TLC earnings. When the zombie apocalypse hits, and all their tenants are trying to eat their faces and TV doesn't exist anymore, they'll be fucked.

*I include myself as one of those who doesn't really know a trade. If the zombie apocalypse really does ever happen, I'm screwed because I doubt computers will be working. Also, my cardio sucks so I'll probably just be a face eater, anyways.

I love apocalyptic fiction too. In the event of a nuclear war or some other cataclysmic event, I can picture JimBob being like the president of the bank in Alas, Babylon--committing suicide when he realizes that nobody will give him money for having a large family anymore.

The library is always a source of valuable survival information, but I doubt the Duggars would ever go there for any reason other than slipping tracts into the books and computer keyboards.

Jim Bob would probably off himself when he realizes that there is no more hairspray in the world.

I love apocalyptic fiction, because I think it's far more telling of what people are really like at their most base level. The Stand was my first. It was like, the gateway book lol

Disclaimer: I am using World War Z as my reference, but I think it makes sense.....

So in the book, after the initial zombie apocalypse where they are left trying to rebuild infrastructures and simply survive, they end up creating programs to retrain people, because there are so few that know an actual trade. Growing food, building, fixing, etc. I don't think it was far off from reality, in that there are just not a lot of people who would know how to continue surviving without all of the amenities we have today. Nor would they know how to rebuild an infrastructure, maintain buildings, fix vehicles, whatever it takes, you know?

I think it's a valuable thing to know a trade. Not just towing cars or being a landlord, which is essentially what the duggars do, but real trade. As a society, we look down on those with "No aspirations" who become mechanics, electricians, builders because they don't always require a coveted "College education".

And, should the zombie apocalypse ever happen, I think the duggars will be just as bad off as the rest of us desk jockeys :lol They may claim to know a trade, but they really don't. They just live off of Daddy Duggar's real estate investments and TLC earnings. When the zombie apocalypse hits, and all their tenants are trying to eat their faces and TV doesn't exist anymore, they'll be fucked.

*I include myself as one of those who doesn't really know a trade. If the zombie apocalypse really does ever happen, I'm screwed because I doubt computers will be working. Also, my cardio sucks so I'll probably just be a face eater, anyways.

I loved this post. I read World War Z a months back and I hope the movie version will be good. In the zombie world, the Duggars would definitely be fucked for other reasons too. I can't imagine them banning together with non-Christians to get things to survive. They don't have the tolerance to deal with people who are very different from them.

Also, it's hard to run in long skirts and flip flops, so all the girls would probably be zombies and the boys would be left all "HOW DOES THIS VACUUM WORK??".

OMG, I was just having a PM conversation on TWOP about the stand. Wasn't there a character who ran himself to death after his 9 kids died? That's JB's apocalypse!

FJ is awesome, now I'm thinking about how a zombie outbreak would go down in NWA. The Duggars would probably lose 90% of the family before they figured out 'Shoot them in the head'. Don't forget, the do have semiautomatics and handguns laying out where the kids can get to them.

ETA: I gotta start writing a Duggar Apocalyptic fanfic.

Also, it's hard to run in long skirts and flip flops, so all the girls would probably be zombies and the boys would be left all "HOW DOES THIS VACUUM WORK??".

I have a vision of Jill running from zombies in her flip flops, she twists an ankle and goes down.

lilwriter85 wrote:

I have a vision of Jill running from zombies in her flip flops, she twists an ankle and goes down.

I can also see Hannie climbing something to escape.

(edited to fix quote)

Archived