IGNORED

Well, this is interesting... Loomis baby

MamaJunebug

Steven "Gloves" Loomis and his helpmeet Rebecca have added several children's books to their wishlist, blessed be their upcoming happy arrival!

What's interesting is that a children's book about the Donner Party is on it. Indeed, some of our guesses about Doug Phillips exploiting the history of the Donner Party as his next historio-costumey-o event may not be that far off.

Some of those are great books. The Story of Ferdinand and The Runaway Bunny, awwww.

I saw the Donner Party one. lmao you are probably right and FJ will totally have called it!

The Runaway Bunny is great. Well its great unless the Donners find it.

(When I was in college we had a new dining hall built and the students voted on its name. The Donner Family Memorial Dining Hall)

edited because I really can spell four letter words

:shock: The Donner party isn't for children... at least normal children but none of the children in my family gene pool are normal. My gene pool loves morbid things because that is who we are. Can fundies be morbid?

NONONO. If he does, and he comes to the historic site, I will do my best to try to be there, I have connections in that area.

ETA- I introduced my niece to Dolly when she wasn't even 2. She wasn't old enough to know the story, but that little doll just fascinated her.

How exactly does one make "got stuck in the mountains, people died, we ate them" suitable for children?

How exactly does one make "got stuck in the mountains, people died, we ate them" suitable for children?

As somebody who is active in groups reenacting 1840's CA, I don't see how it isn't suitable for children to learn. (It is part of 4th grade curriculum here, when it is taught, stupid testing....) I do not see how it can possibly apply to their rainbow glasses view of history, though. (most of the 1840's CA reenactors are brutally honest. If he does do something here, I hope that the group I'm with does get invited- while there are some Mormons and conservative Christians, the bulk of us are pretty liberal, and there are many strong women who wouldn't but up with his garbage.)

As somebody who is active in groups reenacting 1840's CA, I don't see how it isn't suitable for children to learn. (It is part of 4th grade curriculum here, when it is taught, stupid testing....) I do not see how it can possibly apply to their rainbow glasses view of history, though. (most of the 1840's CA reenactors are brutally honest. If he does do something here, I hope that the group I'm with does get invited- while there are some Mormons and conservative Christians, the bulk of us are pretty liberal, and there are many strong women who wouldn't but up with his garbage.)

Ok, maybe I just had a higher caliber of education, but my experience tells me that a 140 page book with pictures is for grades younger than 4.

Ok, maybe I just had a higher caliber of education, but my experience tells me that a 140 page book with pictures is for grades younger than 4.

Oh, that sounds really snotty, Patty Reed's Doll IS considered a 4th grade book in CA. Pages and pictures do not show the level of a book. It's the type of words, complexity of the sentences, the concepts to comprehend and so on. And as an adult I still LOVE to read books with pictures. (and don't say that CA educational standards are low, I've read that book, and while I read it in first or second grade, it really is at a 4th grade level for most kids.)

However, I don't ever remember a time that I didn't know about the Donner party and how horrible it was. Just because something isn't sugar sweet or sanitized does not mean that it's innapropriate for kids. It's history, it happened.

I just want to say here and now that MJ coined Steven "Gloves" Loomis. I can only call him "GLoves" from now on. :lol: :clap:

so what are they gonna say? I mean there's racist and classist discrimination in what I could understand form Wikipedia... bt what is going to be the religious and gender approach? that they should not have been lazy and taken a shortcut? that they trusted someone who was not god?

so what are they gonna say? I mean there's racist and classist discrimination in what I could understand form Wikipedia... bt what is going to be the religious and gender approach? that they should not have been lazy and taken a shortcut? that they trusted someone who was not god?

They'll take it and rewrite the entire thing like they did the Titanic.

Archived