IGNORED

Oh, Jennie Chancey, you're a disgusting human being

Elle

I've found some info on Kibera and what life is like there in the slums http://www.kibera.org.uk/Facts.html

And on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4001061.stm the average wage (note: NOT minimum wage, so therefore higher) was just $1 a day in 2004.

According to this http://www.kiberachildren.org/kibera/ the average monthly income for Kibera (again, average, not minimum) is $27, of which a third of that is needed to rent the mud/tin roof shacks with no electricity, no running water and open sewage outside.

So bearing in mind that the average income is $27 a month, if we say that the minimum that people earn is $20 and Jennie has decided to pay three times the minimum, then she is probably paying around $60 a month. She is obviously recouping her wage expenses in the sale of just two dresses. Plus we can guarantee that Jennie will NOT be paying any form of healthcare insurance for her workers so if they are sick, not only will they not get paid if they can;t work, they will have to find money for their medical expenses.

Another thing that pisses me off too is that Jennie is quiverfull. She also is against feminism and wants women to submit to their husbands. You can bet she will be preaching that to the women she employs. So you get a situation where a woman in the slums will be told to be quiverfull - yet more mouths to feed on that tiny wage AND the rates of HIV in those slums is astronomical. From what I have read men are going into the cities to find work, being away from their families and are sleeping with prostitutes. Then then come home and pass it on to their wives who in turn pass it on to their children in utero. Those women might well have the wherewithal to insist their husbands use a condom. But what happens when Jennie comes to town and starts preaching submission and leaving family size up to 'god'? You'll get more pregnancies, more HIV, more poverty and the cycle is never broken.

Jennie Chancey is a tool.

It's hard to find what the minimum wages are for different areas considering they vary so widely and take into consideration age and how much skill and sex. I was being extremely generous using the highest minimum wage. And minimum wage is ignored there just as often as it is in the US (more than half the Made in America stuff is made for less than minimum wage by illegal immigrants with no recourse unless they're willing to risk deportation). It's been heavily hinted at on several sites that minimum wage is just a formality outside of the three largest cities and isn't actually enforced, and there's enough room for interpretation that saying there's any minimum at all is a joke.

Since Jennie's selling most dresses for just shy of $70 (since her husband runs the export company, I don't doubt for a single second that he's writing it off as a business expense so that there's no cost for it), and these are the flawed ones, the sale of one dress pays a worker for a full month. I think she may be paying less since she also says she pays them the retail cost of a dress in their village to make a dress. Walk through WalMart and tell me if being paid $10 to make a dress, which will take at least a few hours if you go from cutting to finishing, is a fair wage here. The retail of a dress in a poor village will have to be cheap enough for the poor people to be able to afford one, meaning they're making just enough to buy a dress they made with their own labor. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like they're getting further behind.

Jennie is sitting in luxury by American standards, which has got to be like living in a palace there, with access to health care and food and clean water while bitching about the internet going out sometimes (actually often she complains about the internet going out), while her workers, with no doubt at all, aren't getting benefits. If a woman gets sick and can't work, her family will be hungry while Jennie spends more than a month's wages for a worker on one single meal for one member of her family. I think your links are much closer to what we can expect her to be paying.

Another article I will write up (please, if anyone wants to do an article, let me know, I'd really appreciate it, I actually may have a couple minutes online at a time since my daughter gets priority, and a typical reply like this one will be written in three or four tried from interruptions) will be about how her Quiverfull "ministering" is going to harm those women and children, and one about the average salary in Kiberia.

While I think a lot of the stateside fundies are stupid enough, I think Jennie and Matt are outright lethal to the people around them. Literally. Most of the fun die families in the states are better off than those women and families that the Chanceys are making dependent on them. What would happen to a woman who decided no more kids for her, and Jennie found out? Would she be fired as a "danger" to the others?

The Chanceys are the very image of the White Devil there.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prior to that was a long post about how she had apprentices help design and draft the patterns, and how wonderful it was that she was giving these girls a chance to live with her family and do that. No one else has even been credited with designing or drafting the patterns aside from the Young Designers Contest winners. Let's just say that the work those apprentices was doing amounted to them doing most of the work. It's another part of why I can't stomach buying her patterns.

Shades of Martin Chuzzlewit - Seth Pecksniff stealing Tom Pinch's designs.

Well, I suppose she admires the Victorians, so it's only fitting she should share their hypocrisy.

The Chanceys have ten kids, so it's not that surprising that they brought 56 trunks (though how big is a trunk? Standard foot-locker size? Bigger?). We're packing up our place to move and have already packed about 50 boxes--and that represents perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of our stuff, and there are only two of us.

That said, I imagine they're planning to come back to the US eventually, so it doesn't seem necessary for them to have brought absolutely everything they own to Kenya.

Anyway, it's interesting that a woman who is supposedly so anti-feminist, so in favor of stay-at-home wifedom, makes sure to have a business endeavor going wherever she goes. But at least she's not working outside the home!!!111!!1

It's hard to find what the minimum wages are for different areas considering they vary so widely and take into consideration age and how much skill and sex. I was being extremely generous using the highest minimum wage. And minimum wage is ignored there just as often as it is in the US (more than half the Made in America stuff is made for less than minimum wage by illegal immigrants with no recourse unless they're willing to risk deportation). It's been heavily hinted at on several sites that minimum wage is just a formality outside of the three largest cities and isn't actually enforced, and there's enough room for interpretation that saying there's any minimum at all is a joke.

Since Jennie's selling most dresses for just shy of $70 (since her husband runs the export company, I don't doubt for a single second that he's writing it off as a business expense so that there's no cost for it), and these are the flawed ones, the sale of one dress pays a worker for a full month. I think she may be paying less since she also says she pays them the retail cost of a dress in their village to make a dress. Walk through WalMart and tell me if being paid $10 to make a dress, which will take at least a few hours if you go from cutting to finishing, is a fair wage here. The retail of a dress in a poor village will have to be cheap enough for the poor people to be able to afford one, meaning they're making just enough to buy a dress they made with their own labor. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like they're getting further behind.

Jennie is sitting in luxury by American standards, which has got to be like living in a palace there, with access to health care and food and clean water while bitching about the internet going out sometimes (actually often she complains about the internet going out), while her workers, with no doubt at all, aren't getting benefits. If a woman gets sick and can't work, her family will be hungry while Jennie spends more than a month's wages for a worker on one single meal for one member of her family. I think your links are much closer to what we can expect her to be paying.

Another article I will write up (please, if anyone wants to do an article, let me know, I'd really appreciate it, I actually may have a couple minutes online at a time since my daughter gets priority, and a typical reply like this one will be written in three or four tried from interruptions) will be about how her Quiverfull "ministering" is going to harm those women and children, and one about the average salary in Kiberia.

While I think a lot of the stateside fundies are stupid enough, I think Jennie and Matt are outright lethal to the people around them. Literally. Most of the fun die families in the states are better off than those women and families that the Chanceys are making dependent on them. What would happen to a woman who decided no more kids for her, and Jennie found out? Would she be fired as a "danger" to the others?

The Chanceys are the very image of the White Devil there.

Indeed they are.

When you look at the problems in Africa, how many are caused through poverty? Most of them, and even though drought cannot be blamed on poverty, being poor makes a drought situation so much worse. If you are poor and your crops fail you do not have anything to fall back on.

Look at the situation in the slums; the HIV rate is phenomenal. What makes it even worse is that women are passing it on to their babies because they cannot afford the anti-virals to prevent maternal transmission. Much of Africa still has a patriarchal societal structure too. Women come second to men, the man is in charge and the woman must do as he says. Many, MANY cases in HIV in women are caused by men sleeping with HIV infected prostitutes and then coming home and infecting their wives. Condoms are expensive, and although some NGOs are providing them free of charge, many men wont use them and their wives cannot insist that they use them. Fast foward five years and the husband is dead, the wife and several children born since have HIV. There is no money for medication, no money for education and barely enough money to keep a tin or mud rood over their heads.

Jennie's solution to this is to train widows to make dresses. These dresses would never pass a Fair Trade inspection. And while she is going this she is involved in a ministry that is against feminism, against empowering women and is supporting the very patriarchal system that causes so many problems in the third world. Those women, despite being paid three times the minimum wage, will still not be able to afford all the basic necessities. All the while Jennie looks on in her comfortable house, with her ten well fed and healthy children, cashing the cheques. I don't know how she can sleep at night.

Sola writes,

Jennie's solution to this is to train widows to make dresses. These dresses would never pass a Fair Trade inspection. And while she is going this she is involved in a ministry that is against feminism, against empowering women and is supporting the very patriarchal system that causes so many problems in the third world. Those women, despite being paid three times the minimum wage, will still not be able to afford all the basic necessities. All the while Jennie looks on in her comfortable house, with her ten well fed and healthy children, cashing the cheques. I don't know how she can sleep at night.

So well put.

And let us not forget another little tidbit in the Jennie Chancey "living in luxury" lifestyle. She doesn't have to be quiverful and breeding babies all alone. She and Matt have a live in nanny...one of the Morecraft daughters went with them to be a nanny. Who knows if they even pay her. If they do they probably deduct that as an expense, too.

Anyway, it's interesting that a woman who is supposedly so anti-feminist, so in favor of stay-at-home wifedom, makes sure to have a business endeavor going wherever she goes. But at least she's not working outside the home!!!111!!1

Yes, seems like her college education did her well! Too bad she's against college for girls, but yet seems to advertise her degree in every article, book or speaking engagement she is PAID for. Ironic how the fundie female royals are the ones with the most education.

Oh, and not sure who the other chick is in the photo on Page 1 of this thread that is standing to the right of Matt but he seems awfully close to her. Anyone, know who she is!? Of all of the fundie men out there, Matt Chancey in all of his arrogance always seemed the most likely to me to cheat on his wife. Not saying he is, but let's just say I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Mercy Morecraft. I think she was just there a handful of months. That was discussed here at some point, the hypocrisy behind saying girls need to stay home under the authority of their fathers unless it's taking a girl away from her father to serve a member of the royal elite. This is something else I'll cover. She's had apprentices work for her family, and even took a girl overseas, while claiming girls belong at home with their dads until the leash is handed to a husband.

Karsaroni, I wish I knew who that was. It's someone over in Africa, not too likely to be anyone we've heard of before. I don't think it's any secret that I don't think college should be pushed onto everybody as the one and only right path to take, but I've got a big problem with Jennie saying no girls should go away to school yet uses her college education (which she got while living in a dorm and working a job, which is where she met Matt, and even hung out with male friends!!) to make herself sound like an authority on every topic. Keep the masses stupid (since QFers don't think girls need more education than necessary to clean a household and cook), and it's easy to keep power and wealth concentrated among few. In Africa she's training adults to work for her instead of focusing on making sure the children are educated. Educated people can think for themselves because they have some knowledge, and one of them might realize it's bullshit that she's living rich on one small batch of flawed dresses while they're still living in slums.

Sola writes,

So well put.

I agree, totally spot-on.

Does anyone know of any fair trade watch dog organizations who could do something about Jennie's "business?" I think they should be notified.

Mercy Morecraft did only spend a few months in Kenya with the Chanceys: mmorecraft.blogspot.com/2011/04/on-hunt.html

Now she's going to college & working part time.

Your head spinning yet? Remember the A-List fundies' mantra: Do as we say, not as we do! :dance:

Mercy Morecraft did only spend a few months in Kenya with the Chanceys: mmorecraft.blogspot.com/2011/04/on-hunt.html

Now she's going to college & working part time.

Your head spinning yet? Remember the A-List fundies' mantra: Do as we say, not as we do! :dance:

Good for Mercy! I get the feeling that the Morecraft kids aren't as kooky as the parents. Maybe Mercy, but the older ones (while definitely religious) seem to let their own daughters wear pants, etc. Definitely the Mom, Becky Morecraft, is VERY into VF but I wonder if that happened later in her and her husbands lives...

Hi Jennie!

Now tell me dear, could you pay any seamstress in the USA $10 a day to make your dresses?

No?

Thought not.

I notice you said that they are contractors too; does that mean piecework? Or do you just contract per day?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

Hi Jennie!

Now tell me dear, could you pay any seamstress in the USA $10 a day to make your dresses?

No?

Thought not.

I notice you said that they are contractors too; does that mean piecework? Or do you just contract per day?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

:clap: :clap:

Sense & Sensibility Patterns

Wow, [name]! You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. "Playing plantation?" Far from it. All the profits from the sale of dresses go straight back into this sewing guild and directly benefit the women and children involved. The fine clothes you see here on this page are historical recreations born out of a love of beauty and femininity--not vanity and pride. Please feel free to come over to Kenya and join us in the slum as we work side-by-side with widows and orphans. That would be far more productive than criticizing from afar. Peace!

And where are the recreations of local Kenyan clothes? Are they not up to your "beauty and femininity" standards?

Aaannnd, Mrs. Brantley Disharoon weighs in:

Catherine, if you know anything about the people you are criticizing, it would be obvious to you that they originate in the most conservative sector of the Bible Belt in the United States. To assume that it would be necessary for them to pick up and move nearly 9,000 miles away, leaving all familial, and personal relationships behind, to exploit the woman of Kenya, shows not only a lack of humanitarian interest in those less fortunate than yourself, but truly reveals the level of personal intellect your mind seems to be lacking.

So the next time you find yourself surrounded by family and friends, sipping on crystal clear water, and sitting on a patio chair with an obnoxious "Made in China" stamp on the bottom, realize that these people are revolutionizing the production of goods industry, in direct opposition to the inhumane "Sweat Shop" method of manufacturing seen all over the world.

Good job, Catherine! I wonder how long your comment will stay up!

ETA: And now the great Stacy "Oils" McDonald & none other than Brantley Disharoon have also appeared to chastise Catherine.

So $200 per month. She and her husband and oldest son spent $270 on ONE MEAL.

I'm making a Facebook account.

Aaannnd, Mrs. Brantley Disharoon weighs in:

Good job, Catherine! I wonder how long your comment will stay up!

ETA: And now the great Stacy "Oils" McDonald & none other than Brantley Disharoon have also appeared to chastise Catherine.

Coming from another of the most conservative sectors of the Bible Belt in the United States, I can tell you that you'd never hear a story of European conquest on the backs of innocent Africans happening among my brethren.

First, the Internet is not your living room. I'm sick of that analogy being used to shut down dissent.

Second, way to model Christian forbearance, Brantley! Although I do love the expression "American Gossip-Monsterette." Another post count level, perhaps?

"Typical of a non-motivated, click-happy, American Gossip-Monsterette, you completely and intentionally misinterpret and mischaracterize things you know absolutely nothing about. If you did, than you'd realize that your straw-headed, uneducated, ill-informed comments not only make no sense at all, but serve to accomplish nothing for the women you claim are being exploited."

Elle, this is OT but we must have been on the old LAF board together. When I ditched fundiedom, I used to pop in every 6 months or so to see if anything crazy was going down there. I just logged in to Yuku using my old ezboard username and it seems to be gone. Just a few months ago I could still access it on Yuku by using that login (it would show up on my list of forums). I wonder if it poofed or if it was moved? I'd love it if someone sleuthed it. There were some really... interesting posters there.

Second, way to model Christian forbearance, Brantley! Although I do love the expression "American Gossip-Monsterette." Another post count level, perhaps?

"Typical of a non-motivated, click-happy, American Gossip-Monsterette, you completely and intentionally misinterpret and mischaracterize things you know absolutely nothing about. If you did, than you'd realize that your straw-headed, uneducated, ill-informed comments not only make no sense at all, but serve to accomplish nothing for the women you claim are being exploited."

I can just feel the "Christianly" love oozing though Brantley's post. Jesus must be proud.

As if anyone should take the opinion of Brantley Disharoon seriously: “It goes to character, Your Honor, and this man has none.â€

BD's comment is a real hoot:

...if you know anything about the people you are criticizing, it would be obvious to you that they originate in the most conservative sector of the Bible Belt in the United States...

We already know that. It's just one more reason not to trust them.

They gird their loins with lies, that they may malign the truth-tellers; their breastplates are as glass, weak as their faith is weak. Their feet run red with the blood of those whom they've either killed directly or who died because they supported despotic murderers to govern them. Their helms are shaped as the heads of sheep, while underneath is empty. Their weapons are carnal, as are their aims.

"Over time, our goal is to help these ladies move from the slum into clean apartments with running water and electricity. New apartments have been built just outside Kibera for this very purpose and are available for about $50/month."

The profit off the first batches of dresses could have moved several families. Her family's one Titanic dinner would have moved five of the families into apartments. I am curious how tiny those $50-apartments are. Some preliminary Google searching indicates that the best apartments for that little are tiny studio apartments not at all suitable for a family. They aren't these nice, cute, white-painted walls units like we have in America, and are the sort of things she wouldn't let her own kids live in.

Archived