IGNORED

Oh, Jennie Chancey, you're a disgusting human being

Elle

I've mentioned before about how she had a business plan to hire the local women to sew clothing for her to resell.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sensibility

There are some there. (Keep in mind that Etsy has rules against reselling, even though there's been a scandal lately about that.)

Let's take a look-see at the first dress posted. http://www.etsy.com/listing/99072672/blue-white-1950s-style-party-dress-retro

In 2011, my family started the Forever Grace Sewing Guild, which partners with Hosanna Revival Church in Nairobi’s Kibera slum to provide work for widows, single mothers, and other needy women. The ladies who work with Forever Grace receive free instruction in pattern cutting, sewing, and marketing. They are treated as independent contractors and are able to work from home on their own time schedules (no sweat shops!) at a living wage. *

Over the past year, we have been helping these ladies develop a line of clothing based upon my vintage-inspired pattern designs. Our first batch of dresses is complete, and I'm offering them here on Etsy as the "first fruits" of their labors!

* All garments have been produced under the oversight of Hosanna Revival Church and meet all export requirements for fabric and notions. Seamstresses have been paid at a retail rate for their work (which is almost 300% more than the minimum wage rules in Kenya require).

First off, she's supposed to be there on missionary work, and instead she admits in the first sentence of the posting that her family started what she's calling a guild, really a business, to hire those women to make clothing that she is going to sell. So those women are dependent on her to have a marketplace. Better not get on her bad side.

Second, there is a big problem in Kenya of inflation outstripping minimum wage more severely that the US (sometimes more than 10% in a single month), and just like in the US, minimum wags isn't rising nearly as fast. We all know that in most areas of the US, two or even three times the minimum wage is needed to scrape by, sometimes more. We lived in a city where twice minimum wage was needed just to pay rent on a small place in the cheap part of town. Kenya is so much worse off.

Third, minimum wage in Kenya's three largest cities is just $80US a month for full-time work, which is so low that as of today, there are strikes and protests going on because that's not enough for people to live on, yet this is the highest minimum wage in the entire country. In rural areas, the minimum wages are lower. Worse, outside of those three cities, there are various minimum wages that take into account everything from a person's sex to their age. That $80US-minimum wage is considered to be a high minimum compared to outside areas. Worse still, in 2006, the living wage for the lowest ends was considered to be $250US per household, and it's spiked since them. $250US needed in 2006 to live, $80US today being the highest minimum anywhere. And many employers pay the minimum because, just like in the US, if one person won't work the job for so little, many others will.

Let's presume Jennie is paying three times the largest cities' minimum, so $240, since the number she gives is "almost 300% more" than the minimum laws (the laws are what allow for lower wages because you're a young woman with few skills). Realistically there's not a chance that the women in that village are subject to the highest minimum wage in the country, so using that number is EXTREMELY generous, but let's just say.) The typical work week is 52 hours. $18 a week in wages, divided by 52 hours, about 35 cents per hour, so $1.05 is three times that.

At the ABSOLUTE BEST these women are making $1.05 per hour. AT THE FUCKING ABSOLUTE BEST. And in reality, since they aren't in those women aren't skilled and are WOMEN, and they don't live in the three cities with the "high" minimum wage, they're going to be making even less than that.

Let's take a look at something else she says.

I'm calling the dresses in this first batch our "training wheels." While they really look fabulous, there are some areas that haven't reached perfection. ? Some of them have size tags sewed in upside down. Some have a hodgepodge of seam finishes (from Serged edges to hemmed edges).

Flawed batches of things always sell for less. Let's say someone spent 10 hours making that dress, and made $10.50, which, as has been concluded, is really higher than any of those women can expect earn since that's based off of the country's highest monthly minimum wage which only applies to three cities with laws that allow women who aren't very skilled to be paid less, and Jennie said they get 300% of the minimum law allows them to be paid. Fabric is cheap in Kenya, and that's according to a Kenyan woman I know who imports fabric from there to make her clothes because evens with shipping, it's far less than buying cheap fabric here. Cheap fabric is only a couple bucks a yard here. So I will be VERY generous and say let's presume that Jennie is spending $5 for the fabric for each dress, and $200 to ship back the "14 dresses, 12 necklaces, and 40 double Kangas in this batch" (in her newsletter). I'm basing that on UPS's rates for the approximate weight you can expect those items to weight (I ship internationally a lot). Let's divide it only among the dresses. $15 each for shipping to the US. So a total of about $30.50 per dress between labor, shipping, and fabric. I MUST STRESS that the wages I'm going by at the highest minimum wage and are only in three cities, and that even that minimum wage is less than a third of the 2006 living wage.

So at the LEAST, Jennie is pocketing $39.45 on that dress. Since only two of the 14 dresses were listed at $49.95 and the other 12 were priced at $69.95 (some have sold, but I saw with all 14 up), this means Jennie is making a personal profit of AT LEAST $513.30 on this batched of flawed dresses when she's supposed to be there on missionary work. She's clearing more than twice the 2006 living wage. This money is a drop in the bucket to her, but would make a world of difference to those women.

Jennie says those women are making a living wage and tries to make it sound like "almost 300%" above the minimum that applies to those women is a great sum of money. They're not making a living wage. Even if she was paying "almost 300%" of the US minimum wage, she'd still be making a personal profit when she's supposed to be doing missionary work, and she'd still be making those women rely on her.

Well, I guess we shouldn't expect better from a woman who thought this was a great photo to submit to show her husband's "manliness" but that just makes him look like a smug, rich white asshole (taken during one of his previous "missionary" trips):

mattinsudan.jpg

and who has no shortage of time to make a dress to go play Titanic at their favorite restaurant (that I looked up and is considered to be quite upscale and expensive by the local standards) - of course her husband and oldest son couldn't travel to Africa without tuxedos.

sensibility.com/blog/diary-of-a-titanic-dress-part-seven-the-big-reveal/

thIMG_3240.jpg

thIMG_3288.jpg

I've got friends who do missionary work, and the photos they send aren't of prissy parties and tales of how they're using the locals as their personal workforce. Their stories are heart-breaking, and the money they have with them go to buying medical supplies the locals can't afford, and they work hard building schools and homes. There's no time to dress up and play, and certainly no training the locals to make money for the white people who swoop in and expect to be gods - because my friends spend their time helping, and participate in programs such as Heifer.org, which buys animals for people in poor areas and trains them to be SELF-SUFFICIENT without needing to rely on someone else selling their wares to Americans or to keep giving hand-outs. The goal is to make the people better off once the missionaries leave than they were before arrival, and to enable them to continue improving their lives. once Jennie leaves, those women will be screwed.

And since I participate in Sewing Hope, which trained women in Africa to sew and teaches them what they need to run businesses in their local communities so that they don't need the constant presence of others, I am just so offended at what Jennie is doing. I can't stand it, and I hate her with a violent passion. She is an absolutely disgusting human being taking advantage of those poor women.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes, that's sickening. What kind of person sets up a supposedly charitable situation, but takes the majority of the profit? :x

And seriously, that photo with her husband disturbs me. It epitomises the attitude of European imperialism, and I think he purposely taps into that image- a cigar, seriously?

And seriously, that photo with her husband disturbs me. It epitomises the attitude of European imperialism, and I think he purposely taps into that image- a cigar, seriously?

He looks like he thinks of himself as the ruler. There on missionary work with nary a speck of dust on him and time for a cigar, looking like he thinks of himself as king of the savages.

That was for the "First Annual Art of Manliness" campaign that Old Spice held. Doug mobilized the Christian sheep and told them to go vote for the "true man" of the 10 in the running for the $1k grand prize (other finalists included a 9-11 first responder and the husband of another forum member here, men who deserved to win far more than Matt, people who could have used the money - Matt donated the cash to the missionary organization he and Jennie work with). Old Spice came under so much fire that that first annual contest ended up being the only contest. Old Spice supports gay rights, and ended up crowning a gay-hater who stands for everything the company doesn't. Old Spice issued a statement saying it's not possible to vet the candidates. Since that's true, there will be no more contests like this. The Chanceys ruined it for everyone.

I don't know which photo(s) bothers me more, that photo of Matt, or the ones showing them living the high life without a care to the people outside who are cold and hungry and who they are exploiting. Proof of the exploitation is in Jennie's listings.

I'd suggest that someone pass this on to Etsy, however Etsy seem to have completely lost their way lately so probably wont give a damn.

The Chancey's make me sick.

Maybe OT, but what the fuck is up with her bangs? God damn, they just always bug the shit out of me. It's this strange combination of thin, greasy-looking and out-of-whack curliness that is just not cute.

I'd suggest that someone pass this on to Etsy, however Etsy seem to have completely lost their way lately so probably wont give a damn.

The Chancey's make me sick.

You know, though, Helen Killer over at the snark festival known as Regretsy might just gobble this up. Phrase it succinctly: Alleged Missionaries Using Cheap Local Help to Make Clothing For Sale on Etsy. And you know, throw in some of the other stuff about the Titanic and all that.

Seriously. Send it to Helen, she may decide today is Jennie Chancey's lucky day.

You know, though, Helen Killer over at the snark festival known as Regretsy might just gobble this up. Phrase it succinctly: Alleged Missionaries Using Cheap Local Help to Make Clothing For Sale on Etsy. And you know, throw in some of the other stuff about the Titanic and all that.

Seriously. Send it to Helen, she may decide today is Jennie Chancey's lucky day.

OMG do it! Please!

Oooh yes, Regretsy! They might just!

Why don't you all submit it too? Make it less likely to be overlooked?

Will do.

So if she is such a great seamstress is there a reason why she couldn't tailor her youngest suns shirt?

So if she is such a great seamstress is there a reason why she couldn't tailor her youngest suns shirt?

I watched the progress on that dress she made and thought it would look good. Instead the trim in the back at the neckline isn't even and the split skirt up the back looks unfinished and the way she gathered the skirt in the front looks frumpy (to hide another baby bump? she's already conceived and birthed one child in Africa, so I guess that means she's going to claim a right to the African culture now, which she already seems to be doing), and the slant on the sash with that paisley trim looks sloppy.

Thank you, Elle, for unpacking the true economics of Jennie Chancey's "charity" endeavors.

I don't know enough about Kenya's labor laws, but in the US, statements like the following are actually code for "we don't pay no stinkin' benefits."

They are treated as independent contractors and are able to work from home on their own time schedules (no sweat shops!) at a living wage.

Forcing employees to be "independent contractors" is a common dodge among employers in order to divest themselves of any responsibilities for their workers' benefits, including social security & health/dental coverage.

Here's a local Kenyan blog item on the dinner, which itself boggles the mind: wordofmouth.co.ke/readersblog/archives/795. The first class ticket costs the equivalent of $90 US or about 69 Euros, more than a month's wages for many Kenyans.

That's what struck me, too. :shock:

These people have absolutely no awareness beyond themselves.

I watched the progress on that dress she made and thought it would look good. Instead the trim in the back at the neckline isn't even and the split skirt up the back looks unfinished and the way she gathered the skirt in the front looks frumpy (to hide another baby bump? she's already conceived and birthed one child in Africa, so I guess that means she's going to claim a right to the African culture now, which she already seems to be doing), and the slant on the sash with that paisley trim looks sloppy.

Yea well there is no way in hell I'd trust her to make me a bacon bra. :lol:

She had a great idea and I love the choice for her dress but she wrecked it once she tried to make it.

I know I have a buttload of sins to answer to when I die but I still wouldn't trade places with her for anything. :snooty:

Might someone report her to the US Embassy?

Good idea cause what she is doing is sick.

I'm thinking the US Embassy isn't going to care unless Jennie causes an international incident. They have bigger fish to fry in Kenya and eastern Africa.

I'm thinking the US Embassy isn't going to care unless Jennie causes an international incident. They have bigger fish to fry in Kenya and eastern Africa.

I was thinking its likely they have status as an NGO and nothing they are doing is illegal.

I don't know how to do this. Her husband is a DIRECTOR of the missionary organization, so it's all tax-exempt, but his wife is now starting to turn a personal profit on those poor women, sorry, on her employees, when that's not what their taxes are subsidized for. Fraud?

Thank you, Elle, for unpacking the true economics of Jennie Chancey's "charity" endeavors.

I don't know enough about Kenya's labor laws, but in the US, statements like the following are actually code for "we don't pay no stinkin' benefits."

Forcing employees to be "independent contractors" is a common dodge among employers in order to divest themselves of any responsibilities for their workers' benefits, including social security & health/dental coverage.

Here's a local Kenyan blog item on the dinner, which itself boggles the mind: wordofmouth.co.ke/readersblog/archives/795. The first class ticket costs the equivalent of $90 US or about 69 Euros, more than a month's wages for many Kenyans.

Good find on that article. They're living high on the hog when they're supposed to be doing missionary work. $270 even in the US isn't small beans for a meal. But it's just outright wrong when they're supposed to be helping poverty-stricken people (who they've turned into their personal workers). There's no way they're paying those employees enough to go to one of these meals. Her profit off this first batch of dresses will almost pay for that dinner twice over.

I've been watching this for almost a year now, since her newsletters first started talking about those women making dresses for her ready-to-wear line. I had an e-mail correspondence going using a dummy account (I can't remember which one now, but I'm trying hard!) where she said it's only fair for her to make a profit for her time. Missionaries aren't supposed to make a personal profit, especially for the labor of the people they're supposed to be helping.

It reminds me of the shirt Denise Huxtable made for Theo on the Cosby Show.

Archived