IGNORED

Article on Teen Pregnancy seems like a WIN!

reds

The research also found that 60 percent of the girls who did have sex were using the most effective kinds of contraception available (which means the pill, vaginal ring, IUD, or implant/shots—condoms aren't on the list because they're only considered "moderately effective").

It's great that teens are using BC to prevent pregnancy, but what about STDs? So they might be using the most effective for preventing pregnancy but they are using methods that are completely NON effective for preventing HIV, hepatitis, HPV, and other STDs, some of which have become more drug resistant.

There goes the theory that 16 and Pregnant is causing huge numbers of girls to try to get pregnant.

Why did no one interview teen BOYS about what BC they're using?? why is the onus of BC always on the girl/woman??? Pisses me off.

Why did no one interview teen BOYS about what BC they're using?? why is the onus of BC always on the girl/woman??? Pisses me off.

Because sadly the male pill, male IUD, male contraceptive shot and male hormonal ring have not yet been invented. Or, if they have been invented, they aren't available to anyone just yet.

She who suffers the consequences has the responsibility to make sure pregnancy doesn't occur. The woman can't just run away if pregnancy occurs, therefore it's her responsibility.

It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Think of how many guys you know who are very certain they don't want children. Then think of how many guys you know who have had a vasectomy.

She who suffers the consequences has the responsibility to make sure pregnancy doesn't occur. The woman can't just run away if pregnancy occurs, therefore it's her responsibility.

It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Think of how many guys you know who are very certain they don't want children. Then think of how many guys you know who have had a vasectomy.

it's women's responsibility and that's why we should cut them a break when they look for an abortion because that day they forgot to take a pill, because that day the condom broke and did not have the 50$ for plan B, because the diaphragm failed, because they were taking antibiotics and the pill failed.

Yes it's unfair and that is why we need to cut some slack when a woman forgets or has a malfunction. It's unfair to put so much pressure on women to be 365 days of the year sure that their contraception works for about 30-40 years of their life.

It's great that teens are using BC to prevent pregnancy, but what about STDs? So they might be using the most effective for preventing pregnancy but they are using methods that are completely NON effective for preventing HIV, hepatitis, HPV, and other STDs, some of which have become more drug resistant.

That.

It's all great that more teen girls are using effective birth control, but are they also using effective STI control? The sex ed I got in school made it clear that you shouldn't use just the pill or just a condom. You should use a condom plus a second form of birth control to reduce chances of getting pregnant and reduce chances of getting a sexually transmitted disease.

That.

It's all great that more teen girls are using effective birth control, but are they also using effective STI control? The sex ed I got in school made it clear that you shouldn't use just the pill or just a condom. You should use a condom plus a second form of birth control to reduce chances of getting pregnant and reduce chances of getting a sexually transmitted disease.

I will never forget the brilliant words of my 10th grade health teacher. "There is no such thing as safe sex. But there is saferrr sex"

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, saferrr means

STDs (make sure to protect against them)

Abstinence (safest, but not right for everyone)

Fetus (you can get pregnant so be prepared)

Education (learn as much as you can to make the right choices)

Rubber (always wear a condom)

Responsibility (know the consequences of your actions)

Readiness (make sure that you are ready and not pressured)

Why do I still have that silly acrostic memorized????

it's women's responsibility and that's why we should cut them a break when they look for an abortion because that day they forgot to take a pill, because that day the condom broke and did not have the 50$ for plan B, because the diaphragm failed, because they were taking antibiotics and the pill failed.

Yes it's unfair and that is why we need to cut some slack when a woman forgets or has a malfunction. It's unfair to put so much pressure on women to be 365 days of the year sure that their contraception works for about 30-40 years of their life.

See, that's the attitude/cultural more that pisses me off to no end: the woman gets pregnant, the onus is on her. I wish men were held to a similar standard. I'm raising a son and doing my best to instil a sense of responsibility in him. I hope it sticks.

it's women's responsibility

But why is it the woman's responsibility?

What if we didn't just throw our hands in the air and cop out with "oh, it's her responsibility"? What if we held the fathers responsible so they couldn't run away and leave everything on the mother's shoulders?

Both of you are using circular logic. It's the woman's responsibility because the man can run and leave everything on her. Why can the man run and leave everything on her? Because it's the woman's responsibility.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, saferrr means

This is always what we teach our sons, that and never trust when the other person says they have it taken care of. A girl can easily lie and say she is on the pill or miss some and poof you're a father. Also if she says she is pregnant don't have unprotected sex until you know for sure she really is. Ask my nephew about the last one and he could tell you it's true and how he got burned. He was only 16 and my neice-in-law 15 at the time she pulled that stunt. My great nephew is 4 and half. :whistle:

I agree with Valsa. Men have to be responsible too. Men should wear a condom. I find it double standards - maybe even triple or quadruple when American society wants young adults to have sex when married, but teaches abstinence to help us "keep our innoncence" in red states' schools, when in sex ed class the teachers clearly explain to that bother partners must have protective sex by taking a pill (which religious society deems as preventing babies) and wearing condems (why doesn't this get condemened, without condoms there would be sperm to make a baby), and expects young adults in school to understand this even though they're not taught it in schools. And even if the condom breaks or the pill fails, big whoop. The woman has the right to choose to have an abortion - it's not the guys decision, because he doesn't have all the baggage that comes with it. My theory is that fundie religious guys are afraid that women have abortions to kill "baby boys" to dominate them, which isn't true. Sorry for the long rant and if it's a bit off-topic.

The tl;dr version is that men who just care about sex (not all men) feel that they don't have to be responsible because they don't have to carry the fetus for the full term. Please forgive me if I offended anybody and again if I went off topic.

That.

Exactly. Also, are teenagers being taught how to have safe same-sex encounters?

Exactly. Also, are teenagers being taught how to have safe same-sex encounters?

In Tennessee, they're trying to get a law passed where teachers aren't allowed to discuss homosexuality in any context. Soooooo, not here.

Hey guys, when corporations put dangerous things in their food, consumers are the ones who suffer. That means the responsibility should be completely on the consumer and we should have no regulations for corporations! And when someone pollutes a river, it's the people downstream who face the consequences. That means it should be completely their responsibility to live somewhere else and we should remove all environmental protection laws. And women are the ones who face the consequence of pregnancy, so men should have no responsibility for contraception. See, it all makes sense, but only if you're a horrible soulless libertarian.

What if we didn't just throw our hands in the air and cop out with "oh, it's her responsibility"? What if we held the fathers responsible so they couldn't run away and leave everything on the mother's shoulders?

Both of you are using circular logic. It's the woman's responsibility because the man can run and leave everything on her. Why can the man run and leave everything on her? Because it's the woman's responsibility.

Have you read the rest of my post? I was quoting the preceding post about woman's responsibility because ultimately it's her body, but pointing out we should not be hard on her. I was not metaphysically saying it's women's responsibility period.

However, yes, Men should not run, but they do. Yes ideally they should be held responsible, but their responsibility will never be the same because it's not their body that get pregnant, they're not the one with the decision to keep it or have an abortion. It is a bigger responsibility for women than it is for men. I was not using circular logic, I was using the same sentence as the previous poster to point out that even though it is women's responsibility they should not be given a hard time on it.

I had this discussion with a guy friend who tried to persuade me that it was a similar responsibility for both, and I'm sorry I don't buy it. Because one of them has to get with the foreign object in her body and the decision to go through 2 paths with side effects affecting her body: go to term or abort. That's why women have a higher responsibility towards their body because they experience it. If they develop a men's product for contraception I won't start relying on that in case of an oopsie, because ultimately it is my body that goes through it, not his. But that's my personal opinion.

Have you read the rest of my post? I was quoting the preceding post about woman's responsibility because ultimately it's her body, but pointing out we should not be hard on her. I was not metaphysically saying it's women's responsibility period.

However, yes, Men should not run, but they do. Yes ideally they should be held responsible, but their responsibility will never be the same because it's not their body that get pregnant, they're not the one with the decision to keep it or have an abortion. It is a bigger responsibility for women than it is for men. I was not using circular logic, I was using the same sentence as the previous poster to point out that even though it is women's responsibility they should not be given a hard time on it.

I had this discussion with a guy friend who tried to persuade me that it was a similar responsibility for both, and I'm sorry I don't buy it. Because one of them has to get with the foreign object in her body and the decision to go through 2 paths with side effects affecting her body: go to term or abort. That's why women have a higher responsibility towards their body because they experience it. If they develop a men's product for contraception I won't start relying on that in case of an oopsie, because ultimately it is my body that goes through it, not his. But that's my personal opinion.

Ever heard of a condom?

Since you seem to be missing this fact- it is possible to hold men equally responsible for preventing pregnancy. Each person should be held equally responsible for his or her own body. It's just as much a man's responsibility to keep his sperm from impregnanting a woman as it is for a woman to keep her body from getting impregnated.

Men and women should have mutual responsibility. Nobody is saying that women should just ignore it and expect men to do all the contraceptive work. Both partners should be responsible and our society should expect both to be responsible. It's not asking to much for human beings to take responsibility even when they personally face fewer consequences. It's a really sad view of humanity to expect everyone to be selfish and only responsible for themselves. Most people do care about others and the ones who don't are sociopaths.

I feel it's the woman's place to get PCPs or any contraceptive that is meant for her body. However, it's the man's place to buy condoms since they are meant to go on his penis. But, it wouldn't hurt for woman to keep a condom in her purse or nightstand drawer just in case. If oops the condom breaks or the woman wasn't on BC or "forgot" to take a few pills, the cost for Plan B should be split 50/50, but if man I had sex with refused to pay his half for Plan B, I would get it anyway.

I feel it's the woman's place to get PCPs or any contraceptive that is meant for her body. However, it's the man's place to buy condoms since they are meant to go on his penis. But, it wouldn't hurt for woman to keep a condom in her purse or nightstand drawer just in case. If oops the condom breaks or the woman wasn't on BC or "forgot" to take a few pills, the cost for Plan B should be split 50/50, but if man I had sex with refused to pay his half for Plan B, I would get it anyway.

One should have condoms and Plan B at the ready, especially if one doesn't want to have a baby.

Ideally, men would go around with condoms, but apparently many don't. I have a box of condoms at home (although there's not really any opportunity to use is ;) ) and I always have one or two when I travel, more if I know something is very probable.

I would not suggest using mine if the guy has some (after all he knows what he prefers) but I just won't rely on the guy having a condom. And honestly after seeing a couple of my friends knowing they'd have sex and be too bothered to always have a box at home, 50% made a good decision (go out get some with the guy) the other half did not.

So I tend to think that you should always have a box at home because some guys are dumb and in some cases you end up with guys you wouldn't make anything serious.

It's a good idea for both men and women to carry condoms. And it's a good idea for friends to look out for each other. Even a responsible man can run out or just forget. Whenever I go out with my friends I usually bring several in case my friends need them, even during times when I'm not planning to have any sex. In fact, I just keep a box of 3 in purse at all times. But there have been a couple times when I didn't have any and my friends shared, and the other way around. It's a team effort, even for the people who aren't involved in the sex. I'm glad I have great friends who will look out for me like that and will be supportive about any choice I make about sex. And I do expect the man to have condoms too because he's an adult, but I occasionally forget them so I have to be realistic that maybe he will forget sometimes too.

To me, carrying condoms in my purse is no different than making sure I have $10 cash or bringing along medication. It's a just-in-case thing that's the responsible thing to do, for both men and women.

You have it memorized because it is excellent advice!

Archived