IGNORED

Lina interviewed at Shining Stars

SweetTexasCrude

What happened to her head coverings? Did she make up a new rule that allows her to get rid of them?

I was also wondering if she gave up on her attempt to convert to Orthodox Judaism on the sly?

Shining Stars might be Messianic but it looks like it's leaning much more on the Christian side.

Some mysteries remain: what does she makes of being married only civilly? Why did she get married in everyday clothes?

I feel sad for her parents, who as immigrants might have wanted more for her. And I find it extremely depressing when the fact that a girl wanted to be a doctor/lawyer/professor but then found her true calling to cook, clean and change nappies is presented as a triumph.

Oh, and it's interesting she doesn't cite "Feelin Feminine" as an influence, because she was one of the first "featured feminas" and it and friendship with Jocelyn Dixon seems to have played a big part in her fundie-ization.

I seem to remember Lina commenting on the breakup of Jocelyn's courtship.

I'm very surprised there was no veiling/covering at the wedding.

I'm very surprised there was no veiling/covering at the wedding.

It's very strange, especially since the photos of her on her new blog all have a headcovering and AJ wore a yarmulke at their wedding. Hmmmmm.

It's very strange, especially since the photos of her on her new blog all have a headcovering and AJ wore a yarmulke at their wedding. Hmmmmm.

someone already cleared that, saying that headcovering are for married women (she was only getting married) and usually is worn after the wedding has taken place as a sign that they had sex. So during the ceremony they hadn't had sex yet so could go uncovered...

someone already cleared that, saying that headcovering are for married women (she was only getting married) and usually is worn after the wedding has taken place as a sign that they had sex. So during the ceremony they hadn't had sex yet so could go uncovered...

But Lina regularly wore headcoverings before she got married or had even got engaged. Veiling is also usually part of a Jewish wedding ceremony. Having such a quick, informal, non-religious ceremony is the main thing making me think it was a shotgun wedding.

Totally possible to wait for your wedding day and still know you're pregnant before the one month point. I actually didn't get a positive pregnancy test until 23 days post-ovulation and normally you can get a positive test as early as 10-12 days after ovluation with the early detection tests now.

I got a faint positive with my son 10 days past ovulation, and a darker one 12 days past ovulation, and that was in 2002, so it's definitely possible.

She's having a boy? Like the world needs a little Taliban Tony Jr :roll:

I hope Lina leaves this fad as fast as she has left all the others and gets a divorce before TT can create a mini-him.

I hope Lina leaves this fad as fast as she has left all the others and gets a divorce before TT can create a mini-him.

Hell I hope she leaves the fad before TT decides to play toss the baby off the balcony.

But Lina regularly wore headcoverings before she got married or had even got engaged. Veiling is also usually part of a Jewish wedding ceremony. Having such a quick, informal, non-religious ceremony is the main thing making me think it was a shotgun wedding.

some women also say is to get used to it (learn how to put it on and all) I don't see how it's contradicting the lack of it on her wedding.

I don't think that's what some of the Jewish members said, but I don't know anything about Jewish traditions apart from what some members have said here....

I personally don't think that she was pregnant or had sex before they married. That they were so horny that they could not wait, knowing they could not "convert" for a long time still, Lina living at home, and all must have helped Taliban Tony to put pressure for a quickie wedding.

I've always thought that those women who aren't raised fundy but go SAHD anyway have undiagnosed issues with depression and anxiety, or go into "OH SHIT" mode after high school graduation and feel that college and work are just too daunting. It's a lot easier to jump headfirst into legalism, because following rules makes you feel like you're achieving something even if you're not really, and because it's a whole lot easier to tell your parents that you're going to be a housewife/SAHM anyway because That's What God Wants, and you don't need the work experience or education anyway.

I agree with this. I actually think it's one reason I was so quick to embrace into the whole thing. I had diagnosed depression and anxiety disorders, hated my job, and just generally felt/feel overwhelmed by having to function out there in the real world. It was nice knowing I could leave my job and plan to stay home for a while, with at least one major faction of the people I knew supporting it and telling me I was making the right/best choice. I also think I'd drunk the fundie/submission to the point where I felt like I wasn't really competent or worthy enough to succeed in a a real job or field of study, because I seemed to sabotage myself or freeze up every time something good happened or when I was on the verge or moving up. It's got to be even worse for those who buy into it young, before they've even had a chance to taste success on the job or at a real (non SOTDRT) school.

I think she might have got over her fundie phase had she not met and married TT. She probably thinks she should never ever divorce and how is she going to manage with a child and no way to support herself?

I finally had time to read this interview. I agree with the depression/anxiety theory.

Depression/anxiety + steeping in fundie Kool-Aid = serious recipe for potential disaster. The poor girl.

Hell I hope she leaves the fad before TT decides to play toss the baby off the balcony.

:o Is this a reference to something I missed? I admit that I didn't read the thread where TT showed up. Did he threaten to do something like this?

:o Is this a reference to something I missed? I admit that I didn't read the thread where TT showed up. Did he threaten to do something like this?

Well he did throw a cat off the balcony. It wasn't a kid.

Didn't Lina have an eating disorder at some point? I seem to remember Jocelyn Dixon also having one.

I remember that Jocelyn mentioned in some blog post or in Feelin Feminine how she exercised much and was later worried about her well toned abs and how un-feminine they are.

Lina restricted food in her first phase of veganism, yes. No wonder people were worried about amounts of her food after she announced pregnancy.

So, if you get pregnant with a honeymoon baby within the first week of the wedding, you can typically get a positive pregnancy test 2-3 weeks after the wedding.

I got pregnant on my honeymoon and knew I was pregnant by the end of the trip. I took a pregnancy test as soon as my period was late and it was positive. First ultrasound dated the conception 3 days after the wedding. My daughter was brn on her due date, 40 weeks and 3 days after the wedding.

Guest Anonymous

Well he did throw a cat off the balcony. It wasn't a kid.

Yeah, a family member of his (his sister? I don't recall exactly) posted that TT must love Lina very much to "allow" her to have a cat, since he used to think it was a super fun game to throw his mother's cat(s) off of the balcony.

This was related as if it was a cute story, instead of being horrifying.

Archived