IGNORED

Bateses in a car wreck?

Markie

Is car insurance not required in Tennessee? It's required in Georgia.

Googled it. Insurance is required, so I'm guessing they carry the bare minimum and drive old, paid in cash clunkers.

Cheap assholes. I wonder who they crasheds with and if they're at fault in the accident.

Why does driving a paid-for old car make you a cheap asshole?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is car insurance not required in Tennessee? It's required in Georgia.

Googled it. Insurance is required, so I'm guessing they carry the bare minimum and drive old, paid in cash clunkers.

Cheap assholes. I wonder who they crasheds with and if they're at fault in the accident.

Yes, TN does require car insurance, but you can get your car tag and driver license without proof of insurance. Unless you are in an accident or get pulled over for a traffic violation, no one will know you are not insured.

Why does driving a paid-for old car make you a cheap asshole?

They're cheap assholes if they have minimal required coverage on the cars. What happens when ( inevitably with so many kids) an accident happens that's their fault. Their minimal insurance doesn't cover it and they get their asses sued off.

They're cheap assholes if they have minimal required coverage on the cars. What happens when ( inevitably with so many kids) an accident happens that's their fault. Their minimal insurance doesn't cover it and they get their asses sued off.

I'm not defending the Bates, but I think you're being hugely judgmental about people who only carry minimum coverage. Sometimes that's all you can afford, but you still need the car to get to work, etc. We only carry full coverage on one of our cars and minimum on the other, because that's all we can afford. The minimum coverage covers up to $10,000, so that's hardly shirking a responsibility.

They can't afford to feed their horses. They can't afford to feed their kids. They can't afford health insurance.

We don't know what kind of car insurance they carry, but it stands to reason they'll cheap out on it, too.

They're cheap assholes.

Not knocking everyone who has an old car. Geez. I'm knocking The Bates.

I happen to have an old truck that I love.

And before anyone asks I do carry more than is required on it, but not full coverage.

They can't afford to feed their horses. They can't afford to feed their kids. They can't afford health insurance.

We don't know what kind of car insurance they carry, but it stands to reason they'll cheap out on it, too.

They're cheap assholes.

Right, I agree with you that the Bates are cheap assholes. I was taking issue with you implying that anyone who carries minimum coverage is a cheap asshole. I guess what you typed didn't come out the way you meant it to.

Right, I agree with you that the Bates are cheap assholes. I was taking issue with you implying that anyone who carries minimum coverage is a cheap asshole. I guess what you typed didn't come out the way you meant it to.

It didn't. I just meant that they're cheap assholes! Lol

I'm glad nobody was hurt. TN & AL require liability insurance, but not sure about other states. As for "Rand" meaning horny, I've heard it used that way here in the U.S but no often.

I can understand only having a clunker with liability coverage, but seriously, no insurance at all to get a license or plates? WTF is wrong with Tennessee? Those people will wind up getting a car and plates and driving anyway! In NC I'm pretty sure you need proof of insurance just to get your license... at least that's what I was told when I was getting mine, so unless something changed in the last 3 years, I may have been misled...and I don't mind one bit.

Glad everyone involved is fine, whether it was a wreck or a fender bender. It's also important to note that if the cost of the damage is more than a certain percent of the value of the car (75% in NC) at the time, it's considered totaled. So if someone was driving a clunker and the front end/rear end only got mashed a little bit (not enough to HAVE to take it in to get repaired) it may have been totaled anyway, but is still driveable. It's just the cost of the repair vs. the value of the car. But things get twisted around and there's an odd misconception that totaled=rolled like 800 times and exploded. Dunno exactly what it's like in TN, though.

I know all this because I was in an accident a year and a half ago, and the front end of my car was mashed (headlights broken and hood crumpled). The collision coverage paid for the repairs after buying the car back for $250... and I no longer have collision coverage :?

Whoa, folks, it was a little fender bender, no one got hurt and no new cars were given. Sheesh!!

Why was it posted on their blog then and pictures on ATI people's facebooks?

Some OT advice: Having min. liability coverage is fine - as long as you have very few assets. But, if the equity in your home plus accounts and investments add up, you want to make sure your insurance will cover that amount so the other party doesn't attach and garnish your goodies to get his judgment satisfied.

Was it posted on their blog? :? I just checked...

It wouldn't surprise me if they deleted the post, especially since they were shooting for their show at the conference and the car giveaway will probably be "revealed" then. eta: The post is still there. Kelly subsequently responded to other posts, but was mum on the car accident.

So, the almighty Baylee can confirm the accident while Kelly is mum? That means we'll be getting an eyeful on the new show. NDA's are powerful things, but the car accident is probably common knowledge amongst their main circle of friends/sycophants *cough*Baylee*cough*

And if it were just a fender bender why would they need new cars?

I can understand only having a clunker with liability coverage, but seriously, no insurance at all to get a license or plates? WTF is wrong with Tennessee? Those people will wind up getting a car and plates and driving anyway! In NC I'm pretty sure you need proof of insurance just to get your license... at least that's what I was told when I was getting mine, so unless something changed in the last 3 years, I may have been misled...and I don't mind one bit.

Only 6 counties require inspection as well. My dad doesn't live in TN and never has, but once owned property there (15+ years ago), so now he lives in SC and registers his vehicles in TN so he doesn't have to get them inspected, pays less in taxes, and doesn't have to carry as much insurance. Meanwhile, the government is robbing us blind :roll:

Only 6 counties require inspection as well. My dad doesn't live in TN and never has, but once owned property there (15+ years ago), so now he lives in SC and registers his vehicles in TN so he doesn't have to get them inspected, pays less in taxes, and doesn't have to carry as much insurance. Meanwhile, the government is robbing us blind :roll:

There's no vehicle inspection in SC (though there is in NC). I only know because my car is registered down there for the tax rates. :)

Re insurance coverage:

Increasing the limits of liability coverage that you carry on your car insurance policy usually costs relatively little. In California, the minimum is 15,000 bodily injury coverage per person, with $30,000 total for the entire accident, and $5,000 for property damage. These coverages do not cover you, your injuries, your property damage. They only cover the other person's injuries or damages.

I have an older model vehicle. I carry relatively high liability limits, but I don't carry collision coverage because it costs quite a bit and my car isn't worth it. I choose to spend that money elsewhere and trust that any accident I have, will not be my fault.

I work in a field where I'm constantly reviewing medical records, accident reports, and lawsuits re personal injuries. My advice to anyone is to increase your liability limits to the highest you can afford. If you carry minimal amounts and have an accident and are at fault, it doesn't take much for a person to run up medical bills that exceed your policy limits. When that happens, they will look to you personally for reimbursement. Not a good spot to be in, if spending $20 to $30 more per policy period could have helped you avoid that. Just a suggestion. :)

...what the fuck?!

I am so glad I don't drive in either of those states :?

Really? Whatever. (I don't live in either of those states, but there are many states with similar laws. Most states require a certain amount of auto insurance coverage, and if you get caught without it, there are heavy fines and even possible jail time in some instances. But very few states make the BMV the enforcing agency. Using the BMV is ineffective anyway, because a person can show "proof" when they renew their plates, and just not pay the following month's insurance. My state makes you sign an attestation statement, and then they do a "lottery" on an unannounced time schedule of those who have gotten plates. If you get pulled in the lottery, you have to show proof of current insurance at that time. (I got pulled last year and had to provide proof). If you get a ticket or have an accident you also have to show proof. That's how they enforce it. Not the BMV.

There are states that have much higher insurance rates than either of those 2 states - and that is based on how much the insurance companies are having to pay out on claims. In other words, there are worse states to drive in.

Not excusing anything. I just hate jumping to (incorrect) conclusions.

And I agree with Emmie J. I personally carry much higher liability coverage than the law requires.

Re insurance coverage:

Increasing the limits of liability coverage that you carry on your car insurance policy usually costs relatively little. In California, the minimum is 15,000 bodily injury coverage per person, with $30,000 total for the entire accident, and $5,000 for property damage. These coverages do not cover you, your injuries, your property damage. They only cover the other person's injuries or damages.

I have an older model vehicle. I carry relatively high liability limits, but I don't carry collision coverage because it costs quite a bit and my car isn't worth it. I choose to spend that money elsewhere and trust that any accident I have, will not be my fault.

I work in a field where I'm constantly reviewing medical records, accident reports, and lawsuits re personal injuries. My advice to anyone is to increase your liability limits to the highest you can afford. If you carry minimal amounts and have an accident and are at fault, it doesn't take much for a person to run up medical bills that exceed your policy limits. When that happens, they will look to you personally for reimbursement. Not a good spot to be in, if spending $20 to $30 more per policy period could have helped you avoid that. Just a suggestion. :)

This, totally. Thank you for the info!

Some OT advice: Having min. liability coverage is fine - as long as you have very few assets. But, if the equity in your home plus accounts and investments add up, you want to make sure your insurance will cover that amount so the other party doesn't attach and garnish your goodies to get his judgment satisfied.

The Bateses needn't worry; Lawson can pay for the at-fault accidents.

Here in CA, you can drive a unregistered vehicle, and you must carry the minimum auto insurance to register. You can't just get insurance long enough to register then drop it afterwards either... the DMV will suspend your vehicles registration if you do that.

If you're a CA resident and bring in a vehicle from out of state, you have 20 days to register it with the DMV... and they'll fine you up the ying yang if you get pulled over. Also, if you move to CA, you have a very short grace period to get a CA license, because they'll ding you for that too.

Archived