IGNORED

Ruling: Jesus doesn't heal cancer

doggie

This is just silly even Jesus would slap them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6835139 ... eal-cancer

A church billboard proclaiming that "Jesus Heals Cancer" has breached advertising standards by suggesting the church can offer something other churches cannot, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.

Napier's Equippers Church had a billboard saying "Jesus heals cancer - church but not as you know it."

It drew a number of complaints including from a mother whose son had cancer.

"As the mother of a three-year-old boy who has spent the past 18 months fighting against leukaemia, I find the above billboard offensive and upsetting," the complainant, identified only as Jody Condin, wrote.

"It shows no compassion and understanding to those in our community that have journeyed through cancer and lost loved ones."

In her initial complaint, Condin said the billboard made her blood boil "and brings back sad memories of those I have lost in my life due to cancer. It is false advertising."

She said the billboard was dangerous and deceptive as it could potentially offer false hope and lure in the vulnerable in their time of illness and sadness.

"I would be more than happy if this billboard was to read 'Jesus Heals' and that way it could be interpreted to mean he heals spiritually/emotionally which I believe is more along the lines of what the church are trying to say."

Equippers Church told the authority that it was never their intention to create offence, division or contention in the community.

They had already removed the billboard but wanted an Advertising Standards Authority ruling on it.

Their new billboard said "Jesus Heals every Sickness & Every Disease - Matthew 4:23".

The church said they believed the Bible as the authoritative and reliable source of information and it gave numerous accounts of Jesus healing people.

"Our belief is substantiated by the fact six people within our congregation have testified to Jesus healing them from cancer," the church said.

The church said religious advertising and freedom of speech were vital components of a free and democratic society.

Pastor Lyle Penisula recognised that using ''the C word'' made some families uncomfortable and believed this was why the billboard hit the limelight.

''In the days of Jesus, leprosy was the word of fear, that everybody sort of walked around, and Jesus in his day healed leprosy. In today's day cancer is probably the modern day leprosy and people just want to tread carefully around it.''

However, he maintained his belief that Jesus could cure cancer.

In its consideration, the Advertising Standards Authority said it had looked a photograph of the billboard which was clearly identifiable as an advertisement for the Equippers Church.

But it said the billboard made its statement as a "strong absolute statement of fact" when it should be stated as a belief of the church. It breached the advertising code of ethics on that ground.

The authority said it acknowledged the vulnerability and sensitivities of some of the public exposed to the advertisement, but said it was unlikely that people suffering from cancer may forgo conventional medical treatment because of the statement "Jesus Heals Cancer".

The authority said that while the church wanted to offer "a message of hope" its billboard was provocative and would cause offence to people who were dealing with, or knew people who were dealing with, cancer.

It said the billboard could cause confusion for some people as it could be interpreted as meaning the Equippers Church was able to offer something that other churches could not.

Being in the throes of Stage IV cancer right now, something creeps me out about that, "Jesus Heals Cancer". I'm now at the point where I DO hope I heal from my cancer, but if the good Lord sees fit that I don't, then I'm okay with it, too. He's kept me around for now going on eight years, so in a way, I have to consider each and every day I spend alive a blessing. Yes, I agree that a simple "Jesus Heals" would have been sufficient.

Being in the throes of Stage IV cancer right now, something creeps me out about that, "Jesus Heals Cancer". I'm now at the point where I DO hope I heal from my cancer, but if the good Lord sees fit that I don't, then I'm okay with it, too. He's kept me around for now going on eight years, so in a way, I have to consider each and every day I spend alive a blessing. Yes, I agree that a simple "Jesus Heals" would have been sufficient.

What exactly are the good lord's considerations to decide wether you heal or die from your cancer or not and when?

What exactly were his considerations 2 years ago when he decided my 28 year old son had to die?

I really feel sorry about you having cancer I honestly do, but I think until now you have have a very good doctor and some luck.

The thought that there is a god, who arbitrarily decides when people die or not seems ludicrous to me.

I am sorry I find your comment as creepy as the 'jesus heals cancer' thing.

I wish you well though.

You are in my thoughts and prayers today.

I think that before religious institutions make ridiculous medical claims, they should be forced to undergo clinical trails just like manufactures of medicine do. There are people who forgo medical treatment because they believe Jesus will heal them. claims like this, by churches, should be examined because they are harmful

If the pastor is going to claim that six of his congregation was healed, he needs to offer their names to the press and encourage them to let their medical records be examined by people with no bias. If these people were healed while under a doctor's care, the sign should read, "Jesus uses doctors to heal."

If these people were healed while under a doctor's care, the sign should read, "Jesus uses doctors to heal."

:clap: I don't find anything wrong/creepy with believing God/Jesus works through doctors but there are people who forgo medical care because they believe it's against their religion and it's wrong for churches to claim that just being a member of the church/believing can heal you. I mean maybe spiritually but to claim cancer patients don't need medical care if they have Jebus is actually putting people in danger.

Archived