IGNORED

It's not rape! It's just a bad first date!

longskirtlotsakids

Many anti-choicers still claim this, using different language sometimes. They believe that the trauma of rape prevents conception. So basically, they're saying that if a woman does become pregnant as the result of a rape, she simply wasn't adequately traumatized. :roll:

They continue to believe this, yet would be the first to argue that humans aren't animals. Well, we're not, we don't have induced ovulation like rabbits!

If this is the case why do so many fundy woman have children? You sure know their sex lives really suck.

A bad date to me means the guy was an jerk not a rapist. So, let's call it what it is in this thread...RAPE. If a woman gets pregnant after being raped, it's still her body her choice. It sounds like this guy has issues over being the product of a rape and may need some counseling.

Speaking of the Victorian era, there were doctors who treated women who had "female ailments" with devices that looked liked vibrators to cure their "hysteria", and came out of the office happy. Hmmmm....maybe hubby wasn't getting the job done....LOL!

ETA clarification and spelling

The antichoice crowd acts as if every fetus will be into an environment where its parents want the best for it.

Never mind that this would be a lot more likely with more widely available birth control...

A bad date to me means the guy was an jerk not a rapist. So, let's call it what it is in this thread...RAPE. If a woman gets pregnant after being raped, it's still her body her choice. It sounds like this guy has issues over being the product of a rape and may need some counseling.

I don't think you meant it that way but this rubs me wrong.

This guy is saying, "My mom chose to keep me after I was conceived through rape, so every other women should have to do the same thing."

He may be in need of counseling, but he's also just a tool.

I don't think you meant it that way but this rubs me wrong.

This guy is saying, "My mom chose to keep me after I was conceived through rape, so every other women should have to do the same thing."

He may be in need of counseling, but he's also just a tool.

True, but to me, I got the distinct vibe that the he has issues with being the product of a rape. So, maybe therapy or counseling can make me less of a tool if he deals with those underlying issues?

I know! I hate that argument.

I also hate when people imply that being pro-choice means you don't give a crap when someone suffers a miscarriage, like one of the commenters on the article. Um, no, I'm saddened when someone I know loses a wanted pregnancy and I can't imagine it happening to me. There's a big difference between someone looking forward to being a mother and loving their future child, and someone who is forced to carry a burden.

I completely understand what you both mean, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I have personally said this, but never as an anti-choice argument. In fact, I'm absolutely pro-choice. I have just said this because my mother dealt with pressure from her family and my biological father to abort me, but she chose not to. She had been coerced into having an abortion a few years before, and it was extremely traumatic for her, so she was adamantly opposed to choosing abortion when she became pregnant with me. While I completely believe and support the fact that it was her choice to terminate the pregnancy or to carry me to term and give birth to me, and I realize that I would never have attained consciousness if my mother had aborted me, so I obviously would not have known the difference, I am still so thankful to be alive. It's the same way that I'm so thankful for the birth control failure that caused me to conceive my son. I love him so much, and I can't imagine life without him, but I know that if I hadn't gotten pregnant, I wouldn't have known the difference. Still, I truly feel that my life today, being his mom, is better than it would be today, if I hadn't gotten pregnant. So perhaps sometimes when people make statements like this, they don't have the ulterior motive of defending the anti-choice movement, but are simply expressing an appreciation for the joy of life.

True, but to me, I got the distinct vibe that the he has issues with being the product of a rape. So, maybe therapy or counseling can make me less of a tool if he deals with those underlying issues?

Every single person we snark on probably needs counseling. That doesn't excuse what they do and say. It has very real consequences for the rest of us.

Archived