IGNORED

Do fundies really believe the stuff they post?

teddybear

I have been reading the various fundie blogs that get snarked on in FJ. It is difficult to believe that rational, thinking people can actually believe some of the crap they post. Do you think they really believe the stuff they post?

I have been reading the various fundie blogs that get snarked on in FJ. It is difficult to believe that rational, thinking people can actually believe some of the crap they post. Do you think they really believe the stuff they post?

Having been brought up in it, and having believed some of it myself, my answer is 'yes'. Sometimes, it's a bit of a stretch and they're convincing themselves to drink the koolaid, but for the most part they do.

Scary. :?

There is a great book out there titles "Why People Believe Strange Things". Highly recommend it. It explains why so many believe the irrational.

edited for typo

Which are you reading?

I kinda think there are levels of crazy in the blog world - some move up to super crazy and some almost seem kinda normal.

Which are you reading?

I kinda think there are levels of crazy in the blog world - some move up to super crazy and some almost seem kinda normal.

And then there are the ones that almost fool you with an outward appearance of normalcy, but then stun you back to back to reality with their craziness.

It'll be like: My kids are so cute and funny! Look at this yummy treat I created! My girls are learning how to write better essays! I carry a gun at all times, even when nursing! :shock: (I'm looking at you, Shoe lady!)

And then there are the ones that almost fool you with an outward appearance of normalcy, but then stun you back to back to reality with their craziness.

It'll be like: My kids are so cute and funny! Look at this yummy treat I created! My girls are learning how to write better essays! I carry a gun at all times, even when nursing! :shock: (I'm looking at you, Shoe lady!)

Heh. Yeah.

That's actually how I got into reading fundie blogs - I was after homeschooling tips and practical advice for learning at home on the cheap - tricks for making blind tests for yourself, how to do recitations alone, that sort of thing. Plenty of isolated fundies have good tips, and they're focused on frugality at the same time. I've shared my own tips back with them, it's cool to see people all enthused about studying...

...and then you find out just WHAT they're trying to learn. Bible bible bible more bible and! Creationism!

Usually I would just not comment on that part. But I started searching out that stuff just for the "wow, check this craziness out!" factor.

I think most are unhappy or conflicted in the fundie lifestyle. I mean how many happy people take the time to blog about how oh so happy they are. Even the wedding and new baby announcements are over the top. It's like they are trying to convince not only the world but them selves that they are happy.

I think most are unhappy or conflicted in the fundie lifestyle. I mean how many happy people take the time to blog about how oh so happy they are. Even the wedding and new baby announcements are over the top. It's like they are trying to convince not only the world but them selves that they are happy.

I think it's a recruitment thing. Must gaze adoringly at husband. Must have hand sex in every photo. Must share religious convictions. Must do all these things while looking like you've had botox injected directly into your jaw and enough caffeine to force your eyeballs from their sockets.

PR for God/Gothard/Flying Spaghetti Monster? Gotta save the heathens, after all. I still wonder if the Duggars tried to 'save' Santorum from the 'evil Catholics' with their propoganda. As a catholic myself, I do wonder what they think of us.

I think it's a recruitment thing. Must gaze adoringly at husband. Must have hand sex in every photo. Must share religious convictions. Must do all these things while looking like you've had botox injected directly into your jaw and enough caffeine to force your eyeballs from their sockets.

PR for God/Gothard/Flying Spaghetti Monster? Gotta save the heathens, after all. I still wonder if the Duggars tried to 'save' Santorum from the 'evil Catholics' with their propoganda. As a catholic myself, I do wonder what they think of us.

Even though I have not read the blogs, I wondered about this myself, too. Catholocism is Christianity, no matter what the Christian fundies say, because Martin Luther decided to seperate from what he thought was a materialistic Church that in his opinion was more concerned with appearances and looks in public than to help its own faithful. Just because we pray to saints of certain occupations/situations (saints of countries, animals, jobs, etc.) doesn't mean we're pagans. IMO, we just pray to them for a specific message to get to God. (You may correct me on this). Just because we honor the Virgin Mary doesn't mean we worship her as a Goddess. Fundies don't realize that if it wasn't for Catholocism which is Christianity, then Martin Luther wouldn't have started a movement to break apart from Catholocism. Why do fundies not research their own history before spewing nonsense?

*sorry for the long "mini" rant*

What I find ironic is that so many fundies go on endlessly about how 'happiness' is irrelevant. Yet, they go out of their way to appear blissfully happy. The whole 'stay sweet' keep that smile plastered on their faces; it is a cheat, it's a lie.

Marital happiness is irrelevant according to fundies, because if they did a proper Headship approved courtship, then the person they married was sent by god. They cannot even consider that perhaps, they misinterpreted gods message to them in favor of their own selfishness (including the father, or headships selfish wants). The headship can't make a mistake, because they are directly appointed by god to that position. God must have wanted them to be miserable, or horribly mismatched, that's just their lot in his great plan. So, paste on the fake smile and carry on.

The circular logic is just stupefying. It's all so incredibly hypocritical. Yet, they don't ever see it. Or, they can't admit it to themselves if they do. The whole system is based on tyranny. It suppresses the right to question authority based on authorities claim of divine right of rule. To question authority, is to question god.

What I find ironic is that so many fundies go on endlessly about how 'happiness' is irrelevant. Yet, they go out of their way to appear blissfully happy. The whole 'stay sweet' keep that smile plastered on their faces; it is a cheat, it's a lie.

It's recruitment. You reel in vulnerable people with the "look how happy and perfect we are" propaganda then, when the newbies complain about not being able to reach that advertised level of happiness and perfection, you get to tell them "happiness is irrelevant, we're raising Godly warriors!"

when the newbies complain about not being able to reach that advertised level of happiness and perfection,

Or you tell them that their faith isn't strong enough, they don't pray correctly, they aren't following the right rules, or some other scenario that makes it the person's fault.

Some of the blogs seem crazy even compared to what I saw in the fundie church, but most of them definitely sound like people I knew growing up.

I've watched an online friend go from mainstream Christian 12 years ago to fundie status. There have been times when I've been freaked out by the crazy (such as when the link to Titus2 appeared on the blog's sidebar), but other times I feel for her and even admire her, because even if she teaches creationism, she loves her kids more than anything.

Archived