IGNORED

Move over Duggars; step aside octomom...

SpeakNow

There's a new large family in town

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/karla-v ... 00350.html

Last November, Karla Vanessa Perez, had her hands full with her daughter and her newborn set of triplets. She didn't expect to be pregnant with nine more babies the following year. That's nine as in almost all of your fingers, about half of the Dugger family, and one more than the entire clan of Gosselin kids. All nine of them, currently, living inside one woman.

NINE AT A TIME?! :shock: holy shit. That should not be legal!

Unless it happened naturally which I really doubt yeah.

NINE?!?!?! :o Did she not see the Octomom's stomach?

Regardless of whether this is real or not, there needs to be legal limits on how many embryos can be implanted, stat. High order multiples are not a fashion accessory.

Women.are.not.made.to.bear.litters.

That is all.

It makes me think of that episode o friends where Phoebe learns that they put 5 embryos in her uterus, and the chances of conceinving are pretty low. Her half-brother then asks if there's any way they can put 200 of them in there (because they can't afford another try).

It makes me think of that episode o friends where Phoebe learns that they put 5 embryos in her uterus, and the chances of conceinving are pretty low. Her half-brother then asks if there's any way they can put 200 of them in there (because they can't afford another try).

That show got me hooked on Giovanni Ribisi, I love him! He was awesome in the movie "The Gift"!

M.

How can you NOT expect to be pregnant with 9 babies?? That's not something that just happens lady.

Regardless of whether this is real or not, there needs to be legal limits on how many embryos can be implanted, stat. High order multiples are not a fashion accessory.

Actually, most high order multiples are not the result of implanted embryos (Octomom is the only one I can think of where that actually was the case)

Most high order multiples (like the Gosselins, the Hayes ("Table For 12" on TLC) and the annoying couple from "Sextuplets By Surpise") are conceived when fertility drugs cause superovulation (a fancy way of saying "a fuckton of eggs being dropped at one time") and the women either has sex or is inseminated. A good fertility doctor will monitor how many eggs are developing and recommend skipping the cycle if there's a good chance of high order multiples. However, some couple go through with it anyway. Usually because they can't afford the cost of another cycle of medication or, sometimes, if they actually want high order multiples (for instance, Kate Gosselin was told to skip the cycle where she conceived her sextuplets (iirrc, she was actually hospitalized due to the superovulation) but went home and got pregnant against medical advice)

Any doctor who causes such a giant pregnancy needs to be sued for malpractice. A fertility doctor once said that high-order multiples are not a success of fertility treatment, they are a failure just as much as having no pregnancy at all.

The other thing that bothers me is that a lot of women won't even consider the option of selective reduction. If I were pregnant with 3 or more, I would probably choose to reduce the number of embryos to give one or two babies a healthy start. Of course that is my choice and these women are free to make their own choice, but it's amazing that you almost never hear about them even considering that choice.

The other thing that bothers me is that a lot of women won't even consider the option of selective reduction. If I were pregnant with 3 or more, I would probably choose to reduce the number of embryos to give one or two babies a healthy start. Of course that is my choice and these women are free to make their own choice, but it's amazing that you almost never hear about them even considering that choice.

All the women I mentioned above who had high order multiples said "no" to selective reduction due to religious reasons. Because, apparently, going against God's will to get pregnant in the first place is A-OK but they're totally powerless to do the same thing after they get knocked up with a half-dozen feti.*

* I wouldn't have a problem if someone said "I realize there's a huge risk of disability and death, for both myself and my children, when it comes to high order multiples. I've weighed the risks and rewards and am choosing to continue with the pregnancy as-is". It's the whole spineless "It's in God's hands now- even though, up until this exact point in time, I've decisively been controlling every aspect of subverting my natural, assumedly God-given, infertility" that bugs me.

Back when we were on fertility drugs I had one ovalation where I had 5 eggs on my good side and 2 eggs on my blocked side. Because I was very high risk to begin with we had to forgo trying that month because if by some freak chance that all 5 made it to pregnancy the doctor would have to select which ones to continue. I was only allowed to try with 2 eggs at the most and if any decided to become identical twins then we would have been faced to decide which of the 1 of the 3 to keep. Our doctor faced reality that I would be very lucky to have 1 let alone 3 and we all decided our only goal was 1 or 2 very healthy babies. I didn't get pregnant with my fourth son until 18 months after due to too many eggs and other small things.

A good doctor looks to make sure the health of the mother and any future baby have a good chance before allowing pregnancy to happen.

Some might feel like that if they're pregnant with three or four, that they just simply don't want to reduce that number because they've tried so hard just to have one, and do want more than that and want to reduce the amount of time they're getting treated. I can't say I blame them for that... but anything more is just... insane. Triplets and quadruplets are risky enough for both mother and babies, anything more than that... :shock: There was another pair of octuplets born to a Nigerian (I think) immigrant couple, but one of the babies died after birth (they were mentioned after the whole Nadya Suleman shitstorm).

I'm just glad that this was a hoax. Nine at a time, what the fuck...

All the women I mentioned above who had high order multiples said "no" to selective reduction due to religious reasons. Because, apparently, going against God's will to get pregnant in the first place is A-OK but they're totally powerless to do the same thing after they get knocked up with a half-dozen feti.*

* I wouldn't have a problem if someone said "I realize there's a huge risk of disability and death, for both myself and my children, when it comes to high order multiples. I've weighed the risks and rewards and am choosing to continue with the pregnancy as-is". It's the whole spineless "It's in God's hands now- even though, up until this exact point in time, I've decisively been controlling every aspect of subverting my natural, assumedly God-given, infertility" that bugs me.

When I was starting fertility work up, my mom happened to see the folder that my doc gave me about info and such. One of the papers was on selective reduction. My mother was horrified. As the dr and his wife are good friends of my husband and I. "You' let him KILL a baby of yours?!??!" and I got pissed. Because fertility issues are SO much stress and she's going off telling me "I would never put myself in a situation where that might be an option". Uh, it not like I would WILL the clomid to make my ovaries flip the hell out.

Honestly, nuts and bolts wise, I don't know if I would have been ok with it unless there were like, a BAZILLION in there. Probably triplets I could have handled. Anything over that and I would have had a much tougher decision- I distinctly remember the paper saying that with selective reduction there was a slight chance of losing all the kids. And an almost garunteed risk that labor would be premature, I'd be so terrified after going through a high risk pregnancy to lose the remaining kids is what I remember thinking. And to think we only dealt with infertility for 18 months. I can't imagine what some of my friends after 7 years are feeling.

Thankfully, I caught pregnant by following the dr's advice without hormonal treatment (we were without insurance, so he was doing all the "inexpensive tests" he could run and gave me some advice on diet and vitamin supplements that could help in the meantime. The diet worked!!!) ~ and ended up with a singleton, a singleton who I thank G_D every damn day is a singleton because I can't imagine 2 of him.~ lets put it this way... my ONE 2 year old locked me in the basement yesterday. The thought of 2 of him to conspire against me is heart stopping terrifying. (Thankfully we have a landing going to the outside on the basement stairs and I just walked around the side of the house through the back door. Only to discover him watching Elmo and feeding the dogs graham crackers.) Parents of multiples are seriously my own personal frigging super heroes.

When I was starting fertility work up, my mom happened to see the folder that my doc gave me about info and such. One of the papers was on selective reduction. My mother was horrified. As the dr and his wife are good friends of my husband and I. "You' let him KILL a baby of yours?!??!" and I got pissed. Because fertility issues are SO much stress and she's going off telling me "I would never put myself in a situation where that might be an option". Uh, it not like I would WILL the clomid to make my ovaries flip the hell out.

Honestly, nuts and bolts wise, I don't know if I would have been ok with it unless there were like, a BAZILLION in there. Probably triplets I could have handled. Anything over that and I would have had a much tougher decision- I distinctly remember the paper saying that with selective reduction there was a slight chance of losing all the kids. And an almost garunteed risk that labor would be premature, I'd be so terrified after going through a high risk pregnancy to lose the remaining kids is what I remember thinking. And to think we only dealt with infertility for 18 months. I can't imagine what some of my friends after 7 years are feeling.

Thankfully, I caught pregnant by following the dr's advice without hormonal treatment (we were without insurance, so he was doing all the "inexpensive tests" he could run and gave me some advice on diet and vitamin supplements that could help in the meantime. The diet worked!!!) ~ and ended up with a singleton, a singleton who I thank G_D every damn day is a singleton because I can't imagine 2 of him.~ lets put it this way... my ONE 2 year old locked me in the basement yesterday. The thought of 2 of him to conspire against me is heart stopping terrifying. (Thankfully we have a landing going to the outside on the basement stairs and I just walked around the side of the house through the back door. Only to discover him watching Elmo and feeding the dogs graham crackers.) Parents of multiples are seriously my own personal frigging super heroes.

Been there, done that many times. The worst is being locked out on the front porch in just your short night gown and undies with a newspaper as your only covering. :evil:

Been there, done that many times. The worst is being locked out on the front porch in just your short night gown and undies with a newspaper as your only covering. :evil:

LOL my daughter locked me out of the house a couple months ago.....I could see into the kitchen from the front door she emptied out the fridge and had a laughing good time. While I was nearly in tears....kids..now I can LOL about it but omg.

Any doctor who causes such a giant pregnancy needs to be sued for malpractice. A fertility doctor once said that high-order multiples are not a success of fertility treatment, they are a failure just as much as having no pregnancy at all.

These doctors are making frankenbabies. They should not be allowed to practice medicine.

Superhero here... :lol:

I do not think that reduction in cases of higher order multiples is in the same class as most other abortions at all. It really is more than the body is meant to handle and more than 2, you start to have very serious ramifications for mom and all the babies.

Not to mention the emotional, financial, and medical costs can be completely overwhelming.

All the TLC baby propeganda shows make having multiples look like a cakewalk. :oops:

Most couples who selectively reduce never tell anyone or talk about it outside the doctor's office. I've known a few from my tour of infertility and they were usually not wanting the family and friends to know so no one would judge them or say anything.

Abigail posted:

Most couples who selectively reduce never tell anyone or talk about it outside the doctor's office. I've known a few from my tour of infertility and they were usually not wanting the family and friends to know so no one would judge them or say anything.

I completely agree. Another reason we don't hear about these cases is even when they talk about their reduction, these families aren't the "amazing miracles" with x-number of surviving children so they don't get the same level of publicity, especially not a reality tv show.

Right. They are the parents of twins or maybe triplets at birth so not usually newsworthy and definitely not national news material.

Hmmm...since infertility was not a problem for me, I actually have a daughter who was conceived when I was taking Ovulin21, which probably dates me, it was 1969, I don't know what I would do if I were pregnant with high order multiples. On one hand I am definately pro choice, on the other hand how does one decide which babies should live and which should not? Just glad it never happened to me!

Archived