IGNORED

Homemade Shampoo and Conditioner

homeschoolmomma1

Okay- I don't want to give the name away since I know this woman and she is on my facebook. However, she is a Fundie and posted this on facebook

I think she is a bit over the top. hmmm

Just had to post before we head to piano. I made homemade shampoo and conditioner yesterday. Been reading about it and contemplating for a year. I LOVE, LOVE IT. Used it on the Blessings last night and I used it this morning. Never felt such soft hair. I love my hair to. It smells fabulous too! The cost ridiculously cheap! The containers for each of the bathrooms and extra to store in cost more than what it cost to make!!! Up next homemade cleaners, body wash and deodorant, and toothpaste. Also just came across a antibiotic salve all natural. Between cloth diapers, wipes , homemade shampoo, conditioner, we are going to be saving money. Woo hoo! Thank you Jesus for the opportunities to research healthier alternatives and to be able to be a Blessing to my children and a good helpmeet to hubby, by being respectful and resourceful to help our money go as far as possible.

this is where she got the recipe

http://thesikesfamily.blogspot dot com/2012/04/homemade-shampoo-and-conditioner.html

just change the dot to . before the com if that makes sense haha

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'll stick to my $1.00 bottle of Suave 2-in-1 from the dollar store.

I agree and was just going to say that :)

I tried this for a little while. I found it worked for about a month or so, and then I started to get this really gross residue in the ends my hair that all the rinse in the world wouldn't get out. I had to go back to my expensive fancy shampoo - I have lots of allergies and I have to be really careful what I use. I think the rinse idea is nice, but not a good long term plan for hair care.

I see nothing over the tp for it, apart from the "THANK JEBUS!!!!11111!!!!!!!" part of it, I mean, anyone can research it. If it works for her and her hair, great. I use to mix stuff out of the kitchen for my hair, too (olive oil, henna with tea and red wine etc. etc.), and it is the best for me, because my hair reacts poorly to silicones as well as the washing substances most alternative shampoo formulas use.

Honestly, I can hear my hair frizz at cheap shampoo and even more at cheap conditioner. Granted, my hair is... difficult... sorta like Medusa threw up on my head. I need lots and lots of emollients. I don't see a vinegar wash cutting it. And then wouldn't you spend the rest of the day smelling like a vinaigrette? The baking soda "shampoo" probably works though.

However, the "all natural" things isn't just for fundies. My mom can get a bit carried away with the "all natural" cleaners, washes, toothpastes, etc. And she's a liberal Christian feminist. (And also a bit crunchy.)

As "crunchy" as I am, I just can't do the "no poo" thing as it's called. My hair is usually shiny, somewhat wavy, and, well, pretty. After 2 months of doing the baking soda/vinegar thing, it was dull, limp, no waves, ad looked like I hadn't washed it in weeks. It wasn't greasy but it just had this weird residue on it. So I'll stick to my Pantene thankyouverymuch.

Honestly, I can hear my hair frizz at cheap shampoo and even more at cheap conditioner. Granted, my hair is... difficult... sorta like Medusa threw up on my head. I need lots and lots of emollients. I don't see a vinegar wash cutting it. And then wouldn't you spend the rest of the day smelling like a vinaigrette? The baking soda "shampoo" probably works though.

However, the "all natural" things isn't just for fundies. My mom can get a bit carried away with the "all natural" cleaners, washes, toothpastes, etc. And she's a liberal Christian feminist. (And also a bit crunchy.)

When the vinegar dries it doesn't smell anymore. :D

I haven't seen anyone's hair (who does homemade poo or no-poo) that made me want to say, "Yeah, that looks great, let me go mix up some homemade-poo/no-poo solution right away".

Uh. . . no.

But to each their own.

I don't think it's over the top , or particularly "fundie", except that the person doing it happens to be "fundie". She probably walks down the street and shops at a market- that doesn't make walking and shopping "fundie" either.

A friend recently posted on fb about the amount of jungle and habitat devastation due to palm oil, which is what all the sodium laurel suflates are made from, the main ingredient in most shampoos and body washes. She is neither fundie or crunchy.

I'm flat out too lazy to try the homemade everything - but am trying to stay away from some of the chemicals I've just routinely used as an adult. As a kid my mom was super crunchy so it was baking soda/ lemon/ vinegar all the time at my house.

eta: my mom is approaching 70, while I'm approaching 50 and she's in better health and physical shape than I am, so I think she might be right in her caution with chemicals.

A lot of crunchy people are not fundies...

Have you heard about the story of cosmetics?

http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/ ... cosmetics/

OOh! I must watch this!

Eh, if it works for her hair, whatever. I'm glad that crunchy and reusable stuff is getting more popular, even if there are some weird issues with marketing and such. It is odd to me that so many fundy mommy bloggers do all of this though. I sometimes get the feeling that making every possible thing at home is just part of the godliness contest.

I haven't done no-poo, but I am a big fan of home-made cleaning products just for ease, cheapness, and allergy-friendliness. I've gotten tons of good ideas from the British version of How Clean is Your House (episodes on YouTube for fellow procrastinators haha). The American version of the show has tons of ideas for how to use bleach and MrClean products, but the Brits stick more with baking soda, vinegar, lemons and such.

For each solution, you're supposed to leave it sit in your hair for a few minutes. What are you supposed to do in the meantime? It would probably be more economical to use store-bought shampoo and conditioner, and take a shorter shower.

I haven't seen anyone's hair (who does homemade poo or no-poo) that made me want to say, "Yeah, that looks great, let me go mix up some homemade-poo/no-poo solution right away".

Uh. . . no.

But to each their own.

I think it works for certain hair types. I have an AA friend who loves it and she had very challenging hair before trying it.

Some of the natural stuff works and some doesn't. Vinegar and baking soda are the best cleaning tools I have found! And you can buy them with food stamps. But I have several friends who are anti-deodorant and using homemade concoctions. They swear they work just as well but I don't think they do. Let's just say I knew before they told me. It's fine if you don't want to fill your body with chemicals just to smell a little more pleasant, but I will take my daily dose of aluminum because I am naturally quite stanky.

So wait, are her kids the blessings or is SHE the blessing?

Anyway, I get her desire to try homemade, natural shampoo. I also like to try to make things that people usually buy (though usually things in the kitchen, like homemade pasta, taco seasoning mix, that type of thing) and really could see myself making a batch of homemade laundry detergent when we finally live in a house with our own washer and dryer. But I don't get why someone would spout off on how wonderful something is when they've only tried it once and assume it will work great forever! Who knows what your hair will be like after several uses? According to other posters here, your hair will get gross. Hope the lady doesn't go out and buy mass quantities of baking soda with coupons so she can make a 3 year supply of natural shampoo for her and her "blessings." Oh and I have a giant family sized bottle of Suave shampoo that cost about $2 (picked the bottle at the store with the lowest price for ounce) that has lasted me a bit over a year so far because I have short hair and am the only person who uses that shampoo.

I fall somewhere between "chemicals in your shampoo/conditioner/cleaining products will KILL you" and convenience. However, I don't see the hours spent in making all natural everything and resources to make all of it (unless you're pumping water by hand and hand washing/hanging all the cloth wipes/diapers - which again eats up more time you could be spending with the children). I have skin that reacts to fragranced shampoos and washes, but clean a lot with vinegar and baking soda and will buy "natural" products when I have the cash. I just don't see martyring myself and feeling all holy and totally wiped out to save a few dollars when the time could be better spent.

For each solution, you're supposed to leave it sit in your hair for a few minutes. What are you supposed to do in the meantime? It would probably be more economical to use store-bought shampoo and conditioner, and take a shorter shower.

I was raised to turn off the water when I use the soap and shampoo. I unfortunately don,t do it anymore, I think it,s more appropriate for showers heads that are not mounted permanently on the wall, but I should be more careful and I have to work on that.

I did make my own baby wipes when my children were babies and besides the sawing of the rolls of paper towels in half, it was very easy and cheap (I would have my husband saw about 10 rolls in half at a time which would give me 20 "recipes" of wipes). I'm not claiming they're "greener" than store bought baby wipes (I have no idea).

Half roll of Bounty* paper towels (sawed in half with cardboard center removed)

2 cups of water

3 tablespoons of baby oil

1 tablespoon of baby bath (whatever your preference)

Put the dry paper towels in an appropriately shaped container with a lid. Mix the water with the baby oil and baby bath and pour over paper towels. Pull up the first towel from the center of the roll. Cover tightly.

*Cheap towels don't work nearly as well.

I was raised to turn off the water when I use the soap and shampoo. I unfortunately don,t do it anymore, I think it,s more appropriate for showers heads that are not mounted permanently on the wall, but I should be more careful and I have to work on that.

Yeah, why is it that turning off the water in between is easier with the hose type shower heads? When I had one I often turned off the water, but I almost never do with the stationary shower head I've got now. Hm... Maybe because I always get all excited about directing the water wherever I want with the hose and I usually end up spraying myself in the face if I leave it running when I hang it up to soap. :lol:

Austin, LOVE the wipe idea. I'm pretty sensitive to fake flowery or powder smells on a lot of wipes. Your mix sounds way better on the smell front.

I use the baking soda/water for washing and vinegar/water for rinsing though I also keep natural shampoo and conditioner on hand for the days I'm short on time or thinking my hair is more greasy than normal.

It isn't really cheaper than store bough though...probably about the same...for the amount I have to use to get it to work right...plus I had to fool with the amounts for awhile to find my best proportions and I could have decided early on it didn't work but the no chemical thing is *really important* :grim-face: to me so yea, I made it work. lol

Of course, what each person uses is their own decision and I trust each to do what is best for them and their family. I don't think I'm somehow better or more obedient or whatever because of it. LOL

Yeah, why is it that turning off the water in between is easier with the hose type shower heads? When I had one I often turned off the water, but I almost never do with the stationary shower head I've got now. Hm... Maybe because I always get all excited about directing the water wherever I want with the hose and I usually end up spraying myself in the face if I leave it running when I hang it up to soap. :lol:

Austin, LOVE the wipe idea. I'm pretty sensitive to fake flowery or powder smells on a lot of wipes. Your mix sounds way better on the smell front.

Yeah, since you can use whatever products you want, you can make them unscented. I didn't like a lot of the scents in baby products, either.

Well I'll continue to use traditional shampoo, non-aerosol hair spray (works better on my short hair), skincare, and my makeup (love shopping at Utla & Sephora for skincare and makeup). I'm not turning my house into a chem lab. I almost flunked chemistry in HS & college, so yeah...bad idea for me to mix stuff.

Here's why I like shopping at Ulta and Sephora. A few years ago I was at CVS wait for my prescription, and I saw some lipsticks on display. As I got closer to the display, a kid in a store buggy picked one of the testers up and stuck it up his nose. The mother didn't do anything except put the tester back and wipe her kid's nose. Talk about nasty...EWWWW!!!!! I let the manager know after the lady was out of earshot & she threw it away & sanitized the whole display. That kind of thing rarely happens at Ulta or Sephora. Plus a little mid-high end makup is my weakness. It's not like I spend a fortune. Ulta always has coupons and BOGO's.

I'm also one of those who wasn't able to do the "no poo" thing with baking soda and vinegar as no matter what I did, my hair had some weird residue that made it look like it hadn't been washed in a while. I do have some sulfate and silicone-free shampoo and conditioner that I use, and once a week at most, I still do the vinegar hair rinse. By the time I blow dry my hair, the vinegar smell is gone. Since I get my hair colored to cover grays, I don't want to risk using Dr Bronner's soap on my hair, as I've read that it strips color. The peppermint soap is great as a body wash when diluted in a foaming dispenser, and I do use the lavender soap to wash my makeup brushes.

I probably would never try homemade shampoo or conditioner. I have some frizz problems and I have to use some expensive shampoos most of the time. It isn't only fundies who try or do homemade stuff. A friend of mine occasionally tries homemade stuff to see how it works. She tried homemade shampoo and didn't work well for her. She also tried homemade liquid laundry detergent and she said that it didn't take out a lot of stains.

Archived