IGNORED

Morie Family Update-Cherish is married!

xReems

I first heard about this family a year or two ago when someone on the old FJ board brought them up. For those who do not know--this family grew up ultra fundie but a few years back, something happened and the parents filed for divorce, followed by a bunch of restraining orders against the father and daughter, Cherish, being put in an all girls boarding school. Anyways, I saw that Cherish recently got married-I stumbled upon her mom's Facebook and saw a pic of her with Cherish and her husband. The guy looks like he's in the army and it appears they had a "court marriage" rather than a typical traditional marriage in a church. It looks like the older ones have become more wordily compared to before, which is nice to see, but still consider themselves as Christians. I'm glad to see that even through a painful divorce, the kids are all doing well and living their own lives, happily. The marriage happened a few months back, I believe, but I'm glad she found someone who makes her happy.

I remember them. Wasn't there allegations of inappropriate touching or something? I seem to remember the father strenuously denying it all and having a web page.

It might have been. I do recall that the court granted him having supervised visitations with his younger children and I do recall his son's wife filing a restraining order against him. They did have a website and he posted letters between him and Cherish which were pretty bizarre.

I don't think we ever knew why Cherish was sent away to the school or why there was a restraining order or supervised visits, but of there 10 or so kids, he was prohibited from seeing the younger ones. And yes, it does look like the family healed and became less fundie. I do wonder what ever happened to fundie dad, Brandt Morie. He was over the top.

Sorry, I know this thread is several days old, but I just made a few connections I had never made before...

Did I somehow miss the fact that the "home for girls" Cherish was sent to was the "hephzibah house"??

facebook.com/cherish.morie

formerhephzibahgirls.webs.com/apps/profile/80294745/

"What is your affiliation or knowledge of Hephzibah House

I was there for 15 months from March of 2009 to June of 2010 and had a awesome life changing experience!"

Sorry, I know this thread is several days old, but I just made a few connections I had never made before...

Did I somehow miss the fact that the "home for girls" Cherish was sent to was the "hephzibah house"??

facebook.com/cherish.morie

formerhephzibahgirls.webs.com/apps/profile/80294745/

"What is your affiliation or knowledge of Hephzibah House

I was there for 15 months from March of 2009 to June of 2010 and had a awesome life changing experience!"

Uh, wow. I went to the school's website and then also read about 3/4 of a former student's experience/testimony about being at the school. How can a place like that be legal?

Uh, wow. I went to the school's website and then also read about 3/4 of a former student's experience/testimony about being at the school. How can a place like that be legal?

It shouldn't be, but most of these types of places make a point of moving to areas where local law enforcement will support them or at least turn a blind eye. Letters and phone calls are monitored and censored and the parents support the places, so there's nobody to complain. It also seems common for them to be tipped off to investigations and ship girl's home or to other locations before CPS or other officials show up.

Legally, the parents usually sign legal guardianship over to the "school" officials and they claim not to use corporal punishment anymore. In the past, they said it was just spanking and, since nobody wanted to create outrage by banning spanking or infringing upon a religious group, they were allowed to carry on.

Archived