IGNORED

Wissman/Beasley baby

terranova

Another future SAHD. I can't decide wether fundies would prefer boys first (more prestige) or girls (more help around the house).

• 4 months later...

Hey, the new Morton baby is "Ariana Grace" -- is this name currently trending outside of fundie circles, as well? I am old and it was not common in my day.

Yes it is..I now a few babies from non-fundie families whose first name or middle name is Grace. Faith is also another one that I've seen in non-fundie families lately, too.

I'm more wondering about "Ariana/Arianna". Grace tends to be a classic first/middle name regardless.

Arianna must be trendy right now. I have an Arianna and an Ilianna on my street (both little girls about 5 or 6 years old).

Arianna is my eight year-old daughter's current favorite name. I can't begin to count the number of stories she's written that feature an Arianna (or Areona, as she spells it). It's a beautiful name, but I don't know that I'll ever be to take it seriously. :)

According to the Social Security Administration, Ariana first appeared in the top 1000 names in 1978. In 2010 (the most recent year for stats) the name ranked 83rd. Arianna entered the rankings in 1982 and in 2010 was ranked 54th.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Where did you find this information? I don't see it on any of their blogs...

I'm friends with some friends of theirs on fb and it was all over the newsfeed yesterday/today. Not a fan of the name - it reminds of that book/movie "the borrowers" - wasn't their daughter named Arianna? But it is nice to see a name other than the traditional biblical names that are cycled...although between the number of sisters on both sides of the family alot of those more traditional fundie names are used up! I think she's adorable though and looking forward to seeing pics of the baby.

Ariana Dumbledore was sister to a great gay man :D

Confirmed on her blog now. bloggingbeth.blogspot.com

I'm friends with some friends of theirs on fb and it was all over the newsfeed yesterday/today. Not a fan of the name - it reminds of that book/movie "the borrowers" - wasn't their daughter named Arianna? But it is nice to see a name other than the traditional biblical names that are cycled...although between the number of sisters on both sides of the family alot of those more traditional fundie names are used up! I think she's adorable though and looking forward to seeing pics of the baby.

Or Suzanna....it seems like every other fundy family has a girl named that!

Not a fan of the name - it reminds of that book/movie "the borrowers" - wasn't their daughter named Arianna?

No, the Borrowers daughter was called Arietty (presumably a form of Harriet).

Ariana Dumbledore was sister to a great gay man :D

I was going to say that! I wouldn't be surprised if the spike in popularity is from Harry Potter. Even people who haven't read Harry Potter might see that someone else named their kid that and then decide it's a good name.

Edit: Here's a really cool baby name graph that's fun to play with when you're bored. Type in a name and see its popularity over time: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#

Arianna reminds me of Aryan. Not a fan.

Yeah, same. Anything with that root associated with the Christian Right makes be a little :?.

I have a friend whose daughter is named that. She's 3 or 4 now (I can't keep track of her birthday), and I swear I was told they got the name from a paint color.

Archived