IGNORED

My parents have gone from "crazy" to "batshit"

OohLaLa

I sometimes wonder if it's a factor of "old age." My parents had a retired fundie preacher move in next door. At first I was getting concerned because they were sliding farther and farther into it. Another neighbor was also deep into it. Then fundie preacher began doing some not so Christian things like hiring someone to take down the fence between their properties without consulting my parents. He somehow found out they'd gone on a riverboat gambling tour and condemned them to Hell. Bless his heart. They finally sold the house to get away from him.

That sounds like maybe he had some sort of dementia.

I don't think it's so much as a factor of people getting older, but people who hate change. I know some people my age (mid to late 30's) who are this way too. They fear change and prefer to have any thoughts just fed to them. They also tend to be rather racist.

(of course, I do not understand the guy who is gay, barely making ends meet and totally supports the Faux news agenda.)

So I've posted before about my parents' slide since I've left home from Evangelical Christians to full-on fundamentalist extremes.

Full on fundies wouldn't want Michele Bauchmann for President. As someone else said, they're probably just watching a little too much Fox News.

My dad is also descending into batshit crazy-land :( I just stopped discussing politics with him because it was like talking to a brick wall.

What do the fundies think is wrong with the EPA? My dad posted something about the EPA needed to be disbanded the other day, but didn't say why.

because the EPA limits what corporations can do and how much profit they can make so that's bad. of course the fundies would be the first to scream persecution when that said corporation killed one of their children when they could do what they want.

Full on fundies wouldn't want Michele Bauchmann for President. As someone else said, they're probably just watching a little too much Fox News.

True, but nearly everything else fits. Man is head of the house, absolute authority, no questions asks. KJV is only "true" version of the Bible, everything else is "watered-down" or "seeker-friendly" (that's their new catch-phrase). Pretty much anything dealing with magic, spirituality, even meditation, etc is dismissed as New Age or occult. Ranting on about how their former church was full of incorrect theology, they're very much into Calvinism now and I don't know what else. I could go on, but you get the gist. It's not just politics that they've become more extreme (at least what appears extreme to me), it's definitely religion too.

And thanks everyone else for advice/sharing stories of your own. Helps keep me sane!

Archived