Justme

If reading novels is a sinful waste of time, why does the family make a living from Sarah's series of books?

Ooooh, good question! Someone should write to them all faux-sorrowful about how they used to buy the Moody books, but now Teri has "convicted" them that fiction is a sinful enjoyment and a waste of time that could be spent rereading the Bible. Bonus points if you request a future Mom's Corner about dealing with adult children who make their living promoting sin and time-wasting.

I actually think that most people are more like Steve Maxwell than most people think. I know very few adults who are curious and engaged in the world. There is a fundamental failure to consider other points of view. You can see it in every religious and political group.

Recognizing the truth of that statement has completely crushed my soul. I guess I live in a world of my own choosing as much as fundies. Maybe that is why I drink.

If reading novels is a sinful waste of time, why does the family make a living from Sarah's series of books?
Because to them, her books are not secular (they have an explicit religious example to teach) and the books aren't just a waste of frivolity, they're giving kids lessons on how to live a godly life.

Not saying I'd want to read them, necessarily, but I suspect that's why they're okay with it. You can see letters from like minded families who are so thrilled when a new "Moody" book comes out, because their kids don't have anything else to read besides those, the Bible, and maybe some martyrs' stories. But for fiction, the Moody series is pretty much it.

Because to them, her books are not secular (they have an explicit religious example to teach) and the books aren't just a waste of frivolity, they're giving kids lessons on how to live a godly life.

Not saying I'd want to read them, necessarily, but I suspect that's why they're okay with it. You can see letters from like minded families who are so thrilled when a new "Moody" book comes out, because their kids don't have anything else to read besides those, the Bible, and maybe some martyrs' stories. But for fiction, the Moody series is pretty much it.

Teri says nothing about secular versus religious. She simply says 'novels'. If reading is wrong, it's wrong. For a child, a Moody book is just like a novel. And, you know many of these parents don't let their kids read what they haven't read first, so if a mom is wasting time pre-reading a Moody book, no matter the content, isn't that the same as wasting time reading a novel? And, taking it further, teaching your kids the bad habits of reading now will impact their future. Who wants to teach their kids the bad habit of reading to waste time now when it could carry over to adult-hood and take away from their duties?

I said as much in a comment. It will not be shared, we know, but I anxiously anticipate my scripture and death filled response from daddy Steve to justify their choices and insult me, essentially telling me I'm going to hell. I don't want the comment to see the light of day and don't care, I just want that response!!

Did you phrase it like you were pointing out flaws in their argument, or like you were totally convinced and taking their message to its logical conclusion?

Did you phrase it like you were pointing out flaws in their argument, or like you were totally convinced and taking their message to its logical conclusion?

I said that I had the Moody books but thanks to Teri's insight I now know better and will get rid of the books and not buy anymore. I wasn't pointing out flaws as a detractor. I agreed with her argument and was acting on it. I thanked her/them for making me see the light.

About not reading "secular" books:

When would a Maxwell be aloud to just sit and read except at Bible time?

The comment is still in moderation so I can copy it here.

In Teri’s most recent Mom’s corner, she says this.

†I think the “talk of the lips†would equate to time wasters such as sitting doing nothing, reading novels, Internet browsing and blog hopping, frivolous shopping, or large amounts of time on the phone.â€

I would have to say that I will now be getting rid of all the Moody fiction we have and not buying more. They are, after all, a waste of my time. Since I won’t let my kids read something I haven’t read first, and don’t want to teach them bad time wasting habits that can carry into their future roles, the books are gone from our home and not to enter again. Thank you, Teri, for showing me the light and helping me guard my time and do the right thing. I don't know if coming back here would be good either, or reading your titus2 website since that is Internet browsing. Can we pick and choose or just stop altogether so we are right with God? I bought some of your books from your website but now I think that was wrong. I was browsing and shopping. And it was frivolous because those books were extra, and frivolous, and not necessary to our lives. What do you think? Where do I draw the line?

Really now, who is less fun? Steve or Teri?? I just TRIED to read the "Corners," but instead fantasized about driving to Kansas and taking the remaining Maxwell kids home to hang out at the pool, eat everything in the house, talk to the cats, watch dvds etc. I'd let them watch tv, but I never bothered to upgrade. I'd also make some REAL burritos and let poor Sarah have one whenever she wants. And the one kid can play the guitar like Jimmy Hendrix if he likes! Then I'd call my kids friends and have them throw them all a real party!!

Snerk. What do you want to bet the answer will be, "Draw the line wherever is necessary to justify buying our products."

Sounds like a fun plan, IReallyAmHopewell. I'd let the adult ones have a glass of champagne too. I bet Chris on a buzz would be hilarious.

Snerk. What do you want to bet the answer will be, "Draw the line wherever is necessary to justify buying our products."

Sounds like a fun plan, IReallyAmHopewell. I'd let the adult ones have a glass of champagne too. I bet Chris on a buzz would be hilarious.

Sadly, I think all their kids are kool-aid infused and would not partake.

I read something - I think it was the posts for one of their graduations - that their kids are 'allowed' to choose at age 18 whether to leave home or stay with the family. Of course, it was full of the family perfection so of course they all stayed. So, if it's true and not lip service, the over 18 kids made a choice to remain part of the Maxwell machine. They are intravenously filled with the kool-aid and choose it. They don't know any better and that choice to leave probably comes with being cut off and ostracized so fear probably plays a part, but they are so steeped in daddy's world that they wouldn't dare take the risk.

hahaha, that would be awesome with a side of awkward.

My comment no longer appears as being in moderation. So, it's been read - and removed. No response yet. I'm on my way out. Maybe tomorrow I will be blessed with Stevie's inspiring words.

Or, better yet, really, not responded to at all. That would say far more than he could ever say with words.

So based on these two corners what exactly can the Maxwells read? It appears all fiction is out. What would their choices be for non-fiction? I'm guessing at some point in time Nathan had to read a few books to be qualified enough to run the One Ton Ramp, so maybe technical books are allowed. Biographies? Religion texts? Works on history? I could see where they may be allowed but these people are so scared of reading anything that may be secular-humanistic-evolutionary-liberal-worldly-blahblahblah, how would they even be able to choice an appropriate book to read. Would they have to look at the merits of the author before reading the book because he may be a secular-humanistic-evolutionary-liberal-worldly-blahblhablah and not worthy of their money.

He might email you personally even if he doesn't post your comment. I once wrote to them to explain that, counter to their claims, the Grand Canyon is not plain and obvious proof that the Earth is 6,000 years old. They didn't post the comment but Steve did email me. (Oh! Wait! He emailed an unrelated woman without cc-ing Teri! What if I defrauded him with science?)

None of us no all history, and we will all have stronger knowledge of different areas of history than others. But I would love to ask the Maxwell kids if they know anything about:

The Native Americans - (and not the washed down version that the settlers came to "save" them, but shockingly they all died of disease)

The Holocaust

Anything to do with World War 1 and 2 (Vietnam they likely know something due to Steves HUGE involvment)

Any of the huge natural distasters

The Kennedys

And a few other things.

I would also love to show them a world map and ask them where they think the Christians all live.

Do you think they accept refunds for any of there products? Based on Teris corner, if anybody has the Moody Books, you should ask for a refund after being inspired.

He might email you personally even if he doesn't post your comment. I once wrote to them to explain that, counter to their claims, the Grand Canyon is not plain and obvious proof that the Earth is 6,000 years old. They didn't post the comment but Steve did email me. (Oh! Wait! He emailed an unrelated woman without cc-ing Teri! What if I defrauded him with science?)

Oh, I know he will. That is what I'm waiting for. I only ever commented once, and it was not approved but it was responded to. In depth, all with tombstone quotes, death references and the fact that I have fallen into sin.

I never expected the comment to be approved. I actually never even wanted it to be. I just want the response. Since it is no longer showing to me as in moderation, it has been read - and removed. No chance of seeing the light of day, but read.

I want the response. I want Steve to explain and clarify life to me.

If I had money to burn I'd pay for a few magazine subscriptions to be sent to their house.

Playboy, Cosmopoltion, Sports Illistrated (sp??), shucks, even Good Houskeeping!! :lol:

I'd love to hear more about this, if you'd feel ok about sharing.

A few years ago they went to the Grand Canyon and posted about their trip: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/01/18/the-grand-canyon/

This was the part that raised my eyebrows:

The brochure said the Grand Canyon took millions of years to form, and yet even Jesse (13) could wonder why all or most rivers aren’t in canyons that deep. Christopher mentioned as a side note, scientists were not able to study the actual forming of the Grand Canyon, but they have been able to study the Little Grand Canyon at Mt. St. Helens which is 1/40th the size of the Grand Canyon and was formed in one day.

I was surprised that the Maxwells were acting like, just because their 13 year old kid doesn't know the explanation, that means there obviously isn't one. So, silly me, assuming they'd be interested to know, I wrote a comment explaining why most rivers aren't in canyons that deep and how the Grand Canyon was formed.

I got an email from Steve saying that he didn't really know what to do with my comment. He said he's aware that scientists have theories of how canyons are formed, but they're only theories. So he doesn't know what a scientific theory actually is. He said that he included the fact that a canyon formed in one day at Mt. Saint Helens is proof of...something. I wasn't really sure what he was getting at or what he thinks it has to do with the Grand Canyon. Maybe he thinks that that, since one canyon was formed in a day, that proves that they all were? I don't know. He finished up by saying that he didn't want to post a theory on his blog that "explains away God's handy-work [sic]."

He did post the last paragraph of my comment, though, where I told them I was glad they were having a nice trip and slipped in a snarky comment about Uriah. (I'm sorry, Uriah! I didn't know you then! You're my favorite Maxwell!)

And that's the exciting story of my correspondance with Steve Maxwell. No death or Bible verses! Just regular old science denial.

Fundiefan, what did he write to you about?

Oh! Wait! He emailed an unrelated woman without cc-ing Teri! What if I defrauded him with science?

You had to go there, Vodou Doll??? Really? Was that necessary??

Now I've got "defrauded him with science" in my brain to the tune of "She blinded me with Science".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IlHgbOWj4o

Archived