IGNORED

I’m going to... ultimately defeat feminism - Bria Crawford

Effie

My Latin should be better than it is, but is "ex" really the right preposition to use if she wants to express "Integrity of the home"? Doesnt "ex" stand more for "out/from" instead of "of"?

And isn't ex to be used with ablative? Domus is a rare feminin noun of the u-declination, so its ablative would be domo, not domus.

Wouldn't she've been on the secure side with using the genitive, integritas domus?

(It is possible this post is a load of sh** because I make the dumbest mistakes in Latin sometimes, but that blog title can't be right, can it?!)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Janet said...

Bria,

A young woman who is confident in her beliefs does not need to erase comments. That is the act of someone who is insecure and uncertain.

April 22, 2012 5:17 PM

Bria Crawford said...

Janet you are wrong. I am quite confident of the woman in Christ I am and am prepared to give an answer. But I chose my battles. You and the others are not interested in hearing my perspective, rather challenging and attempting to twist my thinking.

April 22, 2012 5:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Here, Bria, I've got a shoebox for you. It should make a perfect home, just add curtains (Godly ones). You'll need it, because unless you remain inside for the rest of your life, SOMEONE IS GOING TO CHALLENGE AND ATTEMPT TO TWIST YOUR THINKING.

Because YOU. ARE. LOONEY TUNES.

My Latin should be better than it is, but is "ex" really the right preposition to use if she wants to express "Integrity of the home"? Doesnt "ex" stand more for "out/from" instead of "of"?

And isn't ex to be used with ablative? Domus is a rare feminin noun of the u-declination, so its ablative would be domo, not domus.

Wouldn't she've been on the secure side be using the genitive, integritas domus?

(It is possible this post is a load of sh** because I make the dumbest mistakes in Latin sometimes, but that blog title can't be right, can it?!)

I think you're right. I has the same sequence of thoughts. Domus, IIRC, is also one of a small handful of place-words that doesn't take a preposition at all to express direction and location. So even if you wanted to say "out of/from the house" you wouldn't use "ex"; you'd use (I forget which) case of domus alone.

She also has a mistake in her Latin in the "About Me" on the sidebar. She writes "Solo De Gloria" instead of "Solo DEI Gloria." However, I suspect this is a typo, because the phrase is common enough in Reformed circles that most people can use it without actually understanding the syntax.

She and Miss Raquel ought to get a better Latin curriculum, as they both seem to have missed the whole point regarding inflected language.

Thanks kaetrin, I feel my education has not been completely wasted. ;)

De/Dei is probably a typo, I have noticed in several of her posts strange typos that I attribute to auto-correct, like Early instead of Earl in her post about Shakespeare. Will not judge her for that, happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

ETA: I looked domus up in my dictionnary, to express phrases like "We're going home now", you're supposed to use domum (Akk.), "I left it at home" is domi/domui ( Dat.) and "She's working from home" would be domo (Abl.).

Thanks for making me revisit basic Latin knowledge, I feel motivated to polish them up further.

The idea that a woman can "defeat" anything is feminist!

Word, word, word.

Enjoy the ability to voice your opinion in a public forum and have people (albeit, sometimes crazy people) recognize it as being legitimate? Thank a feminist. Enjoy even the simple act of being able to vote? Thank a feminist. Enjoy marching in your pro-life rallies, preach to people in the street, and be a public pain in the ass? Bingo! Not possible without feminists, however radical their ideals may be from hers.

If these women *really* want to stick it to feminism, then they need to stick to the only two options that would be available to women had feminism never existed in any form: sit down, and shut up.

Word, word, word.

Enjoy the ability to voice your opinion in a public forum and have people (albeit, sometimes crazy people) recognize it as being legitimate? Thank a feminist. Enjoy even the simple act of being able to vote? Thank a feminist. Enjoy marching in your pro-life rallies, preach to people in the street, and be a public pain in the ass? Bingo! Not possible without feminists, however radical their ideals may be from hers.

If these women *really* want to stick it to feminism, then they need to stick to the only two options that would be available to women had feminism never existed in any form: sit down, and shut up.

Co-sign. Bria is a baby anyway, untried with no life experience. The reality of being married to a fundie ass without the beautiful options feminism offers is going to a difficult pill to swallow. I mean, just look at how mean it made her mother.

QFT.

QFT.

I second (third) this emotion. I would say "bless her heart" but Bria's crossed the line from stupid to asshole.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Here, Bria, I've got a shoebox for you. It should make a perfect home, just add curtains (Godly ones). You'll need it, because unless you remain inside for the rest of your life, SOMEONE IS GOING TO CHALLENGE AND ATTEMPT TO TWIST YOUR THINKING.

Because YOU. ARE. LOONEY TUNES.

Dear goodness. She sounds so haughty. Like some 1800s heroine with no actual grasp of reality...

Dear goodness. She sounds so haughty. Like some 1800s heroine with no actual grasp of reality...

I reacted on that as well. Her words were empty with no actual meaning behind them. She couldn't defend her opinions. She tried to sound so smart, but failed so miserably.

Didn't Kelly once say she would rather have stupid children than smart children who might question their belief? I think she did, but now I can't find where that was written. Anyway, I think Kelly's statement here suggests something along those lines:

"This is why man’s wisdom is so dangerous. It is most often driven by flesh–my dreams, my goals, my ambitions, my desires. Obedience requires faith to do what I cannot understand; to believe what may not make sense."
It seems to me she wouldn't encourage her children to develop critical thinking.

I'm so shocked to see that Kelly has raised someone as vacuous as herself.

18 years old and Bria already has it figured out. :lol:

I think you're right. I has the same sequence of thoughts. Domus, IIRC, is also one of a small handful of place-words that doesn't take a preposition at all to express direction and location. So even if you wanted to say "out of/from the house" you wouldn't use "ex"; you'd use (I forget which) case of domus alone.

She also has a mistake in her Latin in the "About Me" on the sidebar. She writes "Solo De Gloria" instead of "Solo DEI Gloria." However, I suspect this is a typo, because the phrase is common enough in Reformed circles that most people can use it without actually understanding the syntax.

She and Miss Raquel ought to get a better Latin curriculum, as they both seem to have missed the whole point regarding inflected language.

I thought it was "Sola Dei Gloria..."

Anyway - the post on her being edumacated - no, she's "educationized." (which, when you think of it, is what fundie home ed is - like being fed Kool Aid from a spoon, with severe consequences for refusing to drink)

Hell no, I think she's (lamentably) dead serious.

Excommunication?? :lol: Taking this in the context of the quote alone, b/c I haven't yet looked at the full link...I'm guessing she means "miscommunication" here. LOL.

She is quoting something Queen Victoria said. The entire quote is:

She uses the entire quote in her sidebar so I would suppose that she agrees with the points in her article.

Wow, I guess she doesn't realize Queen Victoria was being sarcastic. I guess that proves her point about "excommunication."

THAT'S IT!!! :clap:

Thanks for educationizing me.

You're so right. There should be a blushing classicist (in a toga?) emoticon.

So the take-away for Bria here should be: If composing correct Latin phrases (without reference works at hand) is tricky even for those of us who have studied it fairly extensively, perhaps someone who (presumably) hasn't done so ought to consult with others or stick with a language she knows when creating a public image. :roll:

Couldn't refrain from posting her a comment inquiring if she was sure of her blog title. We'll see if she answers, ignores or deletes.

The idea that a woman can "defeat" anything is feminist!

LOL! This is EXACTLY what I thought when I read this!!

And let's be honest... she's being raised in a house where she basically isn't allowed to dream of her future unless it fits a mold her mother created, and I only say mother because Kelly runs that show and her hubbie is only along for the ride... which is hilariously ironic given the topic. The idea of Bria defeating anything is pretty comical... how is she going to do that... by pinning stuff on Pinterest!?

Yes of course she is going to defeat feminism. What with her half assed edumacashun, her small world view, her childish and immature opinions, yes of course she is going to undo a century of feminism.

You keep thinking that Bria.

So the take-away for Bria here should be: If composing correct Latin phrases (without reference works at hand) is tricky even for those of us who have studied it fairly extensively, perhaps someone who (presumably) hasn't done so ought to consult with others or stick with a language she knows when creating a public image. :roll:

Every SOTDRT grad knows that you don't *need* experts. God made Google Translate and thus it cannot be wrong. How dare you question God?

Yes of course she is going to defeat feminism. What with her half assed edumacashun, her small world view, her childish and immature opinions, yes of course she is going to undo a century of feminism.

You keep thinking that Bria.

I want to dislike Bria, but I just can't. Sadly, she's a product of her upbringing, and her mother's self-absorption.

Every SOTDRT grad knows that you don't *need* experts. God made Google Translate and thus it cannot be wrong. How dare you question God?

Wow, what a backslidden SOTDRT grad I am to have forgotten that! I must have been brainwashed by my pursuit of worldly academic credentials.

(OT: I can't tell you how excited and relieved I was when I got my MA diploma, as it was my first actually accredited-from-a-recognized-institution degree. It took me until I was 32 to manage it, but it was worth it.)

Archived