RR88

I know there are at least three deadheads here at Free Jinger (yours truly included). Any others? Does anyone here trade audience copies of shows? What's your favorite era? Song? Do you adore or detest Bobby?

My father is a HUGE Deadhead, and I know he does trade copies of shows. Though I'm not personally a huge fan, I have a soft spot for the Dead, as they were a big part of my childhood. Photos of Jerry adorned my parents' walls (and still do!) and more often than not, sounds of the Dead were wafting through the house. I learned their music by osmosis from a young age. I only went to one Dead show, in Monterey when I was 5. I still remember it, and it was a blast! It was a daytime show, and I just remember dancing on a blanket with another little girl. :dance:

Bobby sucks ass, but I've told you that already :lol:

Well, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. ;)

What are your ten favorite Dead tunes? (If you can limit them to ten, that is...) Right now, I'm watching that 07/24/1987 show, cutoffs and all.

Well, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. ;)

What are your ten favorite Dead tunes? (If you can limit them to ten, that is...) Right now, I'm watching that 07/24/1987 show, cutoffs and all.

Ask me what my top 30 are :lol:

Ripple

Magnolia

Warf Rat

Terrapin Suite

Lady with a fan

Stella

He's gone

US Blues

Cosmic Charlie

Scarlet Begonias...

no order.

I'm not gonna include Dylan covers.

edited for spelling

I tend to look up a show from my tickets then tune it in on my sound here at the hovel.

I'm not doing Dead today. I was gardening to 12 hrs of live Dylan, all from shows I've seen.

Its been a very high quality day. 8-)

I'm a heretic because I don't care for Dark Star or Stella Blue...there have, however, been some upbeat versions I've enjoyed.

My favorites (in no order, including some covers):

Cassidy

Jack Straw

Stagger Lee

Black-Throated Wind

Bertha

Althea

Alabama Getaway

The Wheel

Greatest Story Ever Told

Desolation Row

Chinatown Shuffle

Just A Little Light

Samson And Delilah

Help On The Way/Slipknot!/Franklin's Tower

Hell In A Bucket

Hard To Handle

Not Fade Away

Sugar Magnolia

...There are more. I changed shows, and am now listening to the 08/04/1971 show at Terminal Island Correctional Facility. Pretty tight, not much "far-out" jamming, and a great Hard To Handle!

I am much, much more of a Ledhead, but enjoy the Dead as well.

I remember having a music history class with a rather pompous professor who said that "no one can name 3 Grateful Dead songs from memory" and going up with another kid after class to show him up. Kid even happened to be wearing a Dead Tshirt. :)

I am much, much more of a Ledhead, but enjoy the Dead as well.

I remember having a music history class with a rather pompous professor who said that "no one can name 3 Grateful Dead songs from memory" and going up with another kid after class to show him up. Kid even happened to be wearing a Dead Tshirt. :)

I'd have written a list! I also like Zeppelin.

I'd have written a list! I also like Zeppelin.

Jimmy Page can come over to my house for a dinner of red snapper any day of the week, no questions asked. :lol:

I wonder if Zeppelin have done any Dead covers, or vice versa.

I don't think I've heard of it. I think their musical styles were fairly different, so, maybe, the interest just was not there.

I really wish that the gods of rock had gotten Robert Plant and Janis Joplin together for a duet, though.

Hey, I like the Dead! I thought this topic was about some lame TV show or something, though, so I kinda ignored it. Oops!

I'm probably going down to DC for a Grateful Dead meetup (hosted by some friends that used to dig the live circuit) this weekend. Unfortunately, I am super sensitive to "weird" sounds (guitars being tuned and the sound of feedback included) so I usually only enjoy the studio albums. Even Europe '72 is "too live" for me!

Some of my favorite tunes are...

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Doin' That Rag

Mountains of the Moon (okay, so just the entirety of Aoxomoxoa)

Uncle John's Band

Dire Wolf

Cumberland Blues

Casey Jones (er... and the entirety of Workingman's Dead, I guess)

One More Saturday Night

Franklin's Tower (wanted to use "wildflower seeds in sand and wind, may the four winds blow you home again" on our wildflower seed wedding favors, but people didn't -get- it, so I couldn't. Still pissy!)

Hell in a Bucket

US Blues

Friend of the Devil

Can go on, but figure stopping may make sense at this point. :lol: Also, I'm sure we all know about the annotated lyrics site, but I always feel compelled to share: http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/gdhome.html Love it!

Why, indeed you do! I keep trying to go see Furthur, but always end up broke when it comes time to buy tickets! A couple of (much better off) friends of mine are pretty huge fans of Bob, too, and they always manage to make it to the shows--only to come back and brag. :P

Archived