IGNORED

Practical Lessons to Learn Before Marriage

dairyfreelife

I have severe issues with anxiety and spatial perception - I'll never be able to drive. Looks like I'm screwed.

I can sew and crochet, but those activities are generally expensive and time-consuming; I limit them to "labours of love", for loved ones who are having babies etc., because there's just no way I can look after a toddler and a SN kid, and expect to have time to make income from my hobbies. Oh, and I hate doing dishes - DH does them. And a painful condition in the girly parts means I seldom submit to my wifely duties. Poor bastard, he got a lemon for a wife!

I am ashamed to say ... (covers face in embarassment) ... I do iron my husbands underwear. :oops: In fact, I iron everything except socks and towels. I am the perfect wife.

My mom ironed everything too. (Not my dad's underwear, because it was briefs, not boxers) But she did it because it was mindless and relaxing to her. She stopped ironing our jeans when she realized that none of our friends had ironed jeans...

I don't iron. Life is too short, I don't care that much, and I'll just get rumpled anyway 5 minutes after putting on a freshly ironed garment. When I do laundry, I shake it hard and hang it up wet and call it good. When my husband wants something ironed, he does it himself. On the rare occasions I want something ironed, I do it myself. It seems to work out well.

I don't iron. Life is too short, I don't care that much, and I'll just get rumpled anyway 5 minutes after putting on a freshly ironed garment. When I do laundry, I shake it hard and hang it up wet and call it good. When my husband wants something ironed, he does it himself. On the rare occasions I want something ironed, I do it myself. It seems to work out well.

The one and only time my husband tried to iron something he did it while he was still wearing it (to save time apparently). I have never let him near an iron again. The thing is, I iron everything because a) I am a bit of a neat freak and love everything looking nice and crisp and neatly folded. And b) I actually find it quite relaxing as far as chores go, you can watch TV at the same time. But I choose to do this because it makes me happy, not because I'm asked to. In fact, my husband thinks I'm nuts for doing it.

the best way I have found to a mans, or indeed womans heart involves angiography through a decent sized artery

not a bit of macaroni in sight

boxed or otherwise

I've never understood why everyone thinks I need a drivers licence.

# First it was 'you have to learn to drive while you are still at home because it is too difficult to organise lessons later'. (Never from my parents, usually from extended family and teachers.)

# Next came 'you have to have a licence for ID'. Yes, I need ID but I don't see why I should learn to drive just so I can get ID.

# Then 'you need a licence so you won't be a burden on others'. I am perfectly capable of getting myself to where I want to go. I can walk. I can ride my bike. I can catch a bus or train.

Now I find out my marriage depends on my having a licence and being able to drive. Obviously my walking/busing everywhere is affecting my marriage in some way I had never noticed. When my husband gets home tonight (on his bike) I will have to ask him if he is suffering because I can't drive.

I can cook, but I don't like it. My husband and I made a deal before we got married (when we were living in sin :o ) that he would cook and I would do the dishes. But apparently we have been doing it wrong. :roll:

I can sew (badly) and I can iron, but it's not something I do a lot.

The way I do it and the way my mother taught me is to remove clothes from the dryer immediately. Then lay all of the large garments flat on the table or bed. They don't come out of the dryer wrinkled; they get way from laying in the hamper until you hang them up. I don't care about wrinkly pjs, but any "public" clothing that comes in big pieces (shirts, pants, dresses) I just lay flat in a stack immediately. After all my loads are done I hang them up and I rarely need to iron. All the other clothes (socks, pjs, towels, gym clothes) I just toss in a pile and fold whenever I get to it, usually while watching tv.

I iron rarely: when I'm doing a sewing project, sometimes traveling if something is really badly wrinkled, and maybe maybe a dressy outfit once in awhile. At home I'm much more likely to grab the steamer for a dress.

I can sew and crochet, but those activities are generally expensive and time-consuming

This! I recently finished a stack of sewn baby blankets. Similar, not quite as fluffy or nice items, could have been bought for less than half of what the materials cost.

I learned to sew AFTER I got married. My husband should probably divorce me immediately and start hanging out in fabric stores so he can find a new wife.

I own an iron, but I use in rarely. If something's wrinkly, I toss it in the dryer for a few minutes while I'm getting ready in the morning, but that's it. The iron, I bought to iron out fabric before I sewed, ironically. :lol:

Oh, and why should we learn to sew, exactly? (I learned so that I could make my son a cloak for his eeeeeeeeeevil Halloween costume. He was Paul Revere that year. <3)

I used to work at a fabric store. Sewing can be EXPENSIVE. O_O Fabric is not cheap, and cheap fabric is, well, crap. If you want good fabric that's going to last, you pay more for it.

I get all my long skirts/dresses from thrift stores. Goodwill has a certain color tag for 99 cents every Wednesday and Sunday. I've bought probably $20 worth of skirts from them in the past two months, when I've been trying to update my wardrobe, and I've come home with the cutest outfits (including a really adorable long denim skirt that I LOVE. I don't wear skirts all the time, but I prefer wearing them in the summer if I'm going out and about. Shorts show off too much of my ridiculously long legs). 99 cents for a skirt that I don't have to mess around with making is a huge savings, in both money and time.

The irony is you add shine shoes/boots to "part 1" of the list, it's almost identical to some of the basic skills you need before going off to join the military. That's where my dad learned to sew, iron, etc and he's the one who taught me how to do it and how to cook most things. So yeah, basic adulthood 101. I know sewing and ironing aren't as common now, but they can be useful, at least doing basic mending and hemming.

Sewing clothes, quilting, etc are nice to know but they take a lot of time and it's usually more expensive to sew things than buy them. One of the reasons I put of learning to sew, beyond the very basics, is because we couldn't afford the fabric and notions for me to learn and practice.

As far as ironing, one thing that makes it easier is buying an extra large/wide ironing board. For years, I had to iron work uniforms and we didn't have an ironing board at all, so I used the top of an old sideboard with a glass top, and a towel over it for padding (don't try it over a wood/finished table because the heat and steam can make the finish come off). I got used to having a large surface and being able to iron a bunch at once, so I bought the widest ironing board I could.

A gem from her courtship and engagement story:

Guess where the ring was from? Kay's...you know what? That is where I always wanted my engagement ring to come from...I never said anything about it, but isn't it amazing how the Lord knows our little wants!

YES!!! Of course, God really wants to make sure your ring comes from that chain store in the mall that advertises all over the place! Why would he NOT do that for you, Sister? Praise him!

Give me a break. :roll: *ring ring* "Hello, this is Priorities. We could use your help--we want to get into Whack, but right now we are out. Could you give us directions, please?"

A gem from her courtship and engagement story:

YES!!! Of course, God really wants to make sure your ring comes from that chain store in the mall that advertises all over the place! Why would he NOT do that for you, Sister? Praise him!

Give me a break. :roll: *ring ring* "Hello, this is Priorities. We could use your help--we want to get into Whack, but right now we are out. Could you give us directions, please?"

I know we've said this here many times before, but seriously, just how self-involved are these fundies? Good grief.

There is an entire industry out there dedicated to keeping clothes pressed and repaired. Far be it from me to deprive anyone of their livelihood by learning to sew and iron myself! (although I do have an iron and can use it quite efficiently if pressed-pressed, get it? :lol: )

Ever seen the episode of Big Bang when Sheldon tried to learn how to drive. That's me.

I can do the basics with sewing like buttons, simple repairs, laundry, ironing etc. By the time I was 10 I could wash, dry, iron all of the family's clothes and as the daughter I did my duty well. I refuse to iron now.

I.e. Ways in which to occupy oneself while waiting for The-One-God-Has-In-Store-(Stock)-For-You.

She forgot one: M-A-S-T-U-R-B-A-T-I-O-N.

There is an entire industry out there dedicated to keeping clothes pressed and repaired. Far be it from me to deprive anyone of their livelihood by learning to sew and iron myself! (although I do have an iron and can use it quite efficiently if pressed-pressed, get it? :lol: )

I can handle a needle and thread okay and don't mind doing small repairs. But iron? Uh-uh. When we moved in together, DH appeared in my office doorway one day brandishing an iron; gesturing in my direction, he said, "Uh... no?" And I said, "No." :) And that's the last that's ever been said on the subject.

I can handle a needle and thread okay and don't mind doing small repairs. But iron? Uh-uh. When we moved in together, DH appeared in my office doorway one day brandishing an iron; gesturing in my direction, he said, "Uh... no?" And I said, "No." :) And that's the last that's ever been said on the subject.

That made me laugh so loud I scared the cat! Thank you :mrgreen:

This. AND he knew it when he married me, so he can't argue. :clap:

I didn't get my drivers license until I was 35. I learned to drive 10 years before that, but couldn't pass the behind the wheel exam due to anxiety. In an emergency, there was always the option of calling a cab.

I sew and crochet, but those are expensive hobbies. Everyone, women and men alike, learned how to sew in my mother's family. Comes from owning a drapery shop. Even my dad could hem his own pants and sew on a button.

I cook, but I do it because I enjoy it. It's a hobby.

Hubby irons the clothes. I only break out the iron when I'm sewing. Irons like to bite me.

I do a lot of mending - small tears, lost buttons, hems that have come undone, that kind of thing. I don't sew but I've been toying with the idea of learning how so I can make costumes. I don't think we even own an iron.

I do a lot of mending - small tears, lost buttons, hems that have come undone, that kind of thing. I don't sew but I've been toying with the idea of learning how so I can make costumes. I don't think we even own an iron.

If you do decide to learn to sew (I'm a sewing n00b)...buy an iron.

I haven't ironed clothes, minus for job interviews, in...oh dear, many years (I wear a suit to work several days a week, I just manage not to iron)--but I need it for sewing. Helps w/ seams. Helps if you decide to use 'stitch witch' to help 'pin' things in place, etc.

Mine lives in my sewing area.

Archived