IGNORED

City Folks Drool, Country Folks Rule

GolightlyGrrl

I just can't get past this loose-running dogs thing. I've never been in a rural community where roaming dogs were socially acceptable. Unless one is in a community where people value dogs so little that they don't care when they are shot for running at large? That doesn't sound like a good place to live.

Our dogs run loose. We hate it when they go visit other people but they mainly stick between our two farms. We have them loose because they have a job to do. They guard the farm and the cows and kill coyotes. They are also big and threatening so people have a tendency to leave our yard without getting out of their vehicles.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our dogs run loose. We hate it when they go visit other people but they mainly stick between our two farms. We have them loose because they have a job to do. They guard the farm and the cows and kill coyotes. They are also big and threatening so people have a tendency to leave our yard without getting out of their vehicles.

Yeah, there is a difference between working dogs that need the run of their property to do their jobs, and dogs just left to roam wherever. If someone's dogs are habitually off their property, even if they are good dogs otherwise, they can do things they'd never do at home and get into really bad trouble. I think responsible owners discourage that behavior rather than characterizing it as some kind of relaxed, laid-back feature of country life.

Is your property not fenced? How do you keep the livestock in?

Our dog roams, and our property is not fenced. The areas where we keep the chickens and goats are fenced, but not the main acreage. Our dog is on the old side, and he's a homebody. He just never leaves the house area. We have 10 acres, but he is generally in sight of the house unless one of us is taking him on a walk. I don't know if all dogs are like this, but ours is very attached to his humans, so as much as he loves the outdoors he just doesn't want to be where we aren't, if that makes sense.

I just can't get past this loose-running dogs thing. I've never been in a rural community where roaming dogs were socially acceptable. Unless one is in a community where people value dogs so little that they don't care when they are shot for running at large? That doesn't sound like a good place to live.

It's not like my neighbor's dogs are emaciated or mean. I do see your point though, but not everybody believes that a dog should be confined. But on the other hand if I had I dog, would keep him fenced in. He would have 2 acres of land to run and play in. If for no other reason than to avoid conflict with neighbors.

Is your property not fenced? How do you keep the livestock in?

Three strand barbed wire. Keeps the cows in place but any sized dog can go under or through.

I priced it out one day for chain link to fence our home and the area the dogs should be in.. was over 50K.

We keep the wanderer tied most days, she is let off for runs. Our other baby has hip pain and doesnt wander out side the farm. She prefers a sunny spot.

Maybe it's because of the city that you live in, but I've spent my entire life living in the NYC suburbs and as soon as I have the means to get the hell out of here and buy a house in the country, you will have to watch my dust.

Nothing in NY is cheap or free. Sunnichick hit it on the head when she mentions things like parking and transportation - all of which add up nicely. Everything is more expensive - from entertainment to food to just plain living. NYers have also earned their reputation for being rude. They are truly self-centered and both neglectful and mistrustful of others. Never stop looking where you're going on a city street because people will think nothing of running you down (although to be fair I see this in most major cities - except for Chicago where people are so nice it's almost creepy). My husband is a refugee from Queens and he still carries that mistrust and paranoia and judgmental attitude even though he has come to hate the city too.

I hate the whole superiority act that these people have. They truly think they're better than everyone else because they choose to pay $2500 a month for a 400SF apartment that they have to barricade themselves into to avoid inevitable crimes against them. The contempt they feel for the "B&Ts" is incredibly insulting. Your neighborhood doesn't make you any better than the rest of us!

Now again, my perspective is skewed because NY is the only city I was exposed to for much of my life. If it's typical of city life and city people though, then count me out!

It's fun to say where I'm from when I'm pissing off fundies though. NY is nicely "godless". :)

This is a truly bizarre attack on NYC. I also grew up in the suburbs of NYC and lived there for a while, and there are plenty of things to do for free or very cheaply. I find New Yorkers really kind, actually, once you know how to approach them - don't get in their faces or expect things out of hand. I have never, ever been "almost run down" - maybe because I look when crossing streets?

Everything in this post reads like a stereotype coming from someone who just hates NYC because of the preconceptions they already had. The amount of tourists there does get exasperating because they clog up traffic (even on the sidewalks) and often expect the red carpet to be rolled out but...mostly they're just ignored, no one goes out of their way to be mean to them.

Coming from that area, though, I know that people from the suburbs immediately outside the city have a weird persecution complex regarding city people. They think Manhattanites are all sitting around congratulating themselves on not being bridge and tunnel people but that just isn't a thing, anywhere.

I live in Paris, which is big but also the most visited city in the world. Parisians have a love-hate relationship with tourists and all the people coming in and out of the city, but when it comes down to it they're always willing to help out if someone approaches them nicely (despite their reputation for being mean and snobbish). And as far as expenses go, aside from rent I hardly spend anything at all - monthly transport passes are pretty cheap, market food is cheap if you know where to get it, and there are tons of free or very cheap museums and other entertainment.

I agree with the people who have said most of the stereotypes of cities (especially about expenses) comes from tourists and/or people who don't know their way around very well.

I agree with the people who have said most of the stereotypes of cities (especially about expenses) comes from tourists and/or people who don't know their way around very well.

The same can be said of stereotypes of the country/rural areas.

I live in Rhode Island. I think the entire STATE is a suburb of Boston. ^_~

That being said, our public transit really can't be beat. If you have $2 and enough time for transfers, you can get for Westerly to Woonsocket on the same bus fare! And there's a commuter rail from Providence to Boston, so we get two urban areas for the price of one! (If you want to head down the cape and you don't have a car, though, you're boned. Of course, Newport beaches are just as nice and less crowded, so why would you want to?)

Archived