IGNORED

City Folks Drool, Country Folks Rule

GolightlyGrrl

I feel the same, clibbyjo.

If we (husband and I) ever get to "retire", out we go.

Tired of noise and endless traffic. No longer care about malls (love internet shopping if I need things), theaters (never went much anyway), restaurants, etc, etc.

My metropolitan area is public-transit-poor-to-mostly-nonexistent. An hour and a half (it's not that long every day, but it is many times - only takes a drop of rain - ) commute each way has lost its appeal a long time ago.

FWIW, there ARE intelligent, educated people who live in rural places.

My urban experience was 3 years living 6 feet away from a 4-plex which housed a revolving door of drug dealers. Of course all of them had their backseats taken out of their cars and speakers as big as the whole back seat installed so the base pounded my windows and walls all day and night. It was non stop hell. We took a loss on selling that house and we did not care just to get out. 14 years in my current house and I am grateful everyday. My biggest worry is when our local black bear is going to be heading to the berry fields down the road.

I only have 1 neighbor and they are an acre of woods away,so I don't know anyone around here. My friends are all far away,but I love my land and would never move unless it was south because I like warm weather.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now again, my perspective is skewed because NY is the only city I was exposed to for much of my life. If it's typical of city life and city people though, then count me out!

Definately not typical of the life and the people where I live! And I live in a pretty big city :D I love living in this city and I never want to leave, anywhere else would be too small for me, and unless I leave the country, there are very few places of equal-ish size . I just have to look at FJ to know that there are intelligent awesome people who live in rural areas. It's all personal preference and city vs. rural also varies widely depending on which city you're talking about. What I do hate is people who think oooh i live in the country so i'm better than all these city folk who are so rude and snobby and spoiled!! And I also hate people who think oooh I live in the city so I'm so much better than all those country bumpkins who are so intolerant and uneducated and just plain crazy. Both are stupid attitudes to have based on untrue stereotypes.

I just have to look at FJ to know that there are intelligent awesome people who live in rural areas. It's all personal preference and city vs. rural also varies widely depending on which city you're talking about. What I do hate is people who think oooh i live in the country so i'm better than all these city folk who are so rude and snobby and spoiled!! And I also hate people who think oooh I live in the city so I'm so much better than all those country bumpkins who are so intolerant and uneducated and just plain crazy. Both are stupid attitudes to have based on untrue stereotypes.

Very good post, and I agree.

I live in a small sub-urban town and I hate it. I hate that it's nearly impossible to find organic food here for my son. I usually have to go to 2 or 3 stores in town plus one store nearly an hour away just to shop for him. I hate that most days, there's nothing to do here. I take my son on walks in my neighborhood or in the one park we have, but that gets old after a while. We have to drive over an hour to get to a city large enough to have museums, shows, and good restaurants (and that city isn't very large). Save for one extremely good Japanese restaurant, the only restaurants in this town are chains. Yuck. We have almost no ethnic food joints. We also have little choice in schools for my son outside of the public schools (which aren't very good here). As soon as my husband gets his degree, we're going to try and move to a bigger city. I'd even settle for the city an hour away from us (although my dream is San Diego).

I find there is a lot more cheap and free stuff to do in cities than in sub-urban towns or rural outposts. Of course, it defeats the purpose if you don't live there because you have to pay for gas and parking. However, if you live in the city, there is a ton more to do.

Nothing in NY is cheap or free. Sunnichick hit it on the head when she mentions things like parking and transportation - all of which add up nicely. Everything is more expensive - from entertainment to food to just plain living. NYers have also earned their reputation for being rude. They are truly self-centered and both neglectful and mistrustful of others.

I've gotta say, I have family that live not far from NYC and go into the city a lot, and I just haven't found the above to be the case at all. You can find plenty of stuff to do relatively cheaply there, if you look around online a little and plan things out. Heck, I've spent hours at a time in Central Park alone when the weather's good, and MOMA has free admission on Friday nights. During the warmer months, there are tons of street fairs and such, loads of parks aside from Central Park, and while the Met and the Natural History Museum have suggested ticket prices, you can pay less if you go up to the ticketing desk and talk to someone, so if you just can't afford full price for everyone, there are ways around that. As far as the people, I've always had really positive experiences in the city- people stopping to offer directions when I looked lost or being helpful when I asked for directions and so on. The only time I've gotten crap (and even then it was good-natured crap) was when I went in wearing a Red Sox cap- which, hey, we'd give them some stick in New England if they rolled up wearing Yankees stuff, so fair's fair. I really don't get the negativity here, though I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences. I can't wait to get back to the States and make a visit into the city.

I also just got back from some time in Dublin and London, and in London in particular, you can find a hell of a lot of stuff to do for free or close to it. The Imperial War Museum is absolutely phenomenal and free, the British Museum, Science Museum (I think) and Tate Modern the same, there are endless, fascinating areas of town that you can just wander around and people watch, and it's not that hard to find perfectly good, inexpensive food if you avoid certain areas and big restaurants. You can also get dirt cheap theater tickets if you time things right- I saw Tyne Daly in Master Class, in a front row seat, for £15. If you're a student, it's often even cheaper- I know the National Theater and I think the Barbican used do offer something like £5 with a student ID. I did notice that virtually every tourist attraction in London, museums or otherwise, offered lower prices for people who are unemployed; it wasn't always a huge drop from the regular price, but it seemed like a nice gesture. On the other hand, WTF is up with the £2 "voluntary donations" at places like the Tower of London, which are already something like £20, bundled into the existing ticket price? It happened at a couple of different places and struck me as very weird and not very voluntary. That is, however, my only gripe with London (and a pretty minor one at that). Get yourself an Oyster card or one-day travel pass, and you can do a hell of a lot of stuff in that place for very little money.

I don't know, I grew up in a small town, and I like things about that, too, but I've generally had good city experiences. The only real negative ones I've had have been here in China, where people can be extremely rude, never wait in line, and everything is outrageously crowded. Nothing says "fun" like seeing the sights with 1.3 billion of your closest friends! :shock:

No sneaking through the woods watching deer in these colors!

Um... If you are sneaking through the woods to watch deer, you should be wearing blaze orange, and pretty fluorescent color, to make sure hunters can recognize you as not-a-deer.

Definately not typical of the life and the people where I live! And I live in a pretty big city :D I love living in this city and I never want to leave, anywhere else would be too small for me, and unless I leave the country, there are very few places of equal-ish size . I just have to look at FJ to know that there are intelligent awesome people who live in rural areas. It's all personal preference and city vs. rural also varies widely depending on which city you're talking about. What I do hate is people who think oooh i live in the country so i'm better than all these city folk who are so rude and snobby and spoiled!! And I also hate people who think oooh I live in the city so I'm so much better than all those country bumpkins who are so intolerant and uneducated and just plain crazy. Both are stupid attitudes to have based on untrue stereotypes.

:text-yeahthat: Everything she said.

I don't judge anyone - I just know I love my little postage-stamp apartment (that we got at a steal) and being able to walk everywhere. Yet all I get from suburban and rural friends is crap like "Don't you want a yard?" or "Don't you feel unsafe?". Or assumptions that we are paying a lot of money for our place. Like, no, you have a $400,000 house (with square footage and acreage that I couldn't take care of even if I wanted to), which works for you, but costs a hell of a lot more money than my tiny apartment (that takes 10 minutes to clean from top to bottom) and is 25 minutes away from everything. Why do you assume I must secretly want your life?

I think the city/country thing is just the Mommy Wars for DINKs... Drives me nuts.

I'm an urbanite! I won't even consider the suburbs! I lived with hubby in the hickville for 6 years, and it was depressing! I don't find "country-folk" to be friendly.....I was still the "new girl" after 6 years on our street, and none of my neighbors bothered to ask my name (except one...he was 15). There was nothing to do there except drink, smoke pot, and steal stuff.....not my cup of tea.

I like the city, people say "hi" when they walk past my house and compliment my roses. People hold doors for others. There is a park and a zoo and stores within walking distance, and musuems and concerts and beaches and good coffee and used bookstores! Even my hubby who grew up in hickville likes it better here! Oh, and it is waaaay cheaper living in the city. And no one criticizes my hair , make up, or clothes here!

Ex-country girl here, though I didn't live on a farm. I did live 7 miles outside of a rinkydink town. It took at least 30 minutes to get to the closest walmart and meijer and an hour to get to a mall. Nothing was open past 9 until a 24 hr gas station opened up a few years ago. Everyone knew everyone else and so everyone was in each others business. I really don't miss it. I like being able to WALK to walmart in 15 minutes or go out to eat past 9. I like that I don't know EVERYONE and that everyone doesn't know me. I like not have to set aside a whole day to go shopping. I will admit that I still don't go out at night alone because of some lingering fear of being mugged or shot. This is probably left over from the last neighborhood we lived it which was pretty bad. Mr. Inky had to call 911 a number of times because of noise or people screaming at each other at 2 am. The last time it was to get an ambulance for a stab victim. But in our new neighborhood it's pretty quiet and I have access to bus routes and Mr. Inky can easily walk to work with no worries. I am all for city living. Though if I see one more kid with his pants hanging around his knees I'm going to give him a wedgie - what is with that fashion trend!?

:text-yeahthat: Everything she said.

I don't judge anyone - I just know I love my little postage-stamp apartment (that we got at a steal) and being able to walk everywhere. Yet all I get from suburban and rural friends is crap like "Don't you want a yard?" or "Don't you feel unsafe?". Or assumptions that we are paying a lot of money for our place. Like, no, you have a $400,000 house (with square footage and acreage that I couldn't take care of even if I wanted to), which works for you, but costs a hell of a lot more money than my tiny apartment (that takes 10 minutes to clean from top to bottom) and is 25 minutes away from everything. Why do you assume I must secretly want your life?

I think the city/country thing is just the Mommy Wars for DINKs... Drives me nuts.

Yes! I am a small person (5'1) and small spaces suit me juuuust fine. As long as I have a park within walking distance and a balcony for growing herbs etc, I really don't need a garden. And it's not like crime doesn't happen in the suburbs or rural areas!

Maybe it's because of the city that you live in, but I've spent my entire life living in the NYC suburbs and as soon as I have the means to get the hell out of here and buy a house in the country, you will have to watch my dust.

Nothing in NY is cheap or free. Sunnichick hit it on the head when she mentions things like parking and transportation - all of which add up nicely. Everything is more expensive - from entertainment to food to just plain living. NYers have also earned their reputation for being rude. They are truly self-centered and both neglectful and mistrustful of others. Never stop looking where you're going on a city street because people will think nothing of running you down (although to be fair I see this in most major cities - except for Chicago where people are so nice it's almost creepy). My husband is a refugee from Queens and he still carries that mistrust and paranoia and judgmental attitude even though he has come to hate the city too.

I hate the whole superiority act that these people have. They truly think they're better than everyone else because they choose to pay $2500 a month for a 400SF apartment that they have to barricade themselves into to avoid inevitable crimes against them. The contempt they feel for the "B&Ts" is incredibly insulting. Your neighborhood doesn't make you any better than the rest of us!

Now again, my perspective is skewed because NY is the only city I was exposed to for much of my life. If it's typical of city life and city people though, then count me out!

It's fun to say where I'm from when I'm pissing off fundies though. NY is nicely "godless". :)

I have to STRONGLY disagree with you on that point. I lived in NYC (Manhattan and then the Bronx) until I was 11, and I have tons of relatives that live in NYC. You can do plenty of things for cheap or free in NYC. Subways can take you (for $3.50 each way) to such wonderful places as Central Park, Riverside Park, Fort Tryon Park, Greenwich Village (and all of the cute and quirky stores), and plenty of other free places to spend the day. I started walking home from school by myself when I was 10 years old (FTR, that was 13 years ago) and never once felt unsafe. Unless you walk around a dangerous area wearing expensive jewelry, people really aren;t out to get you. As a young child, I used to spend my afternoons in the local playground playing with a whole bunch of kids from all different backgrounds. One of the things that I miss most about NY was the ethnic and religious diversity of all of my friends.

Also, living in the burbs is way different than living in NYC. In the city, you don't need a car, so you don't have to pay for things like parking. Yes, living is more expensive, but I would not trade the close family bond that I have (mostly cuz my family is awesome) that resulted from living with 4 people in just over 1000 sq feet. There wasn't much privacy, but that led to a sense of openness between me and my family. In fact, my sister and I (she is 7 years younger than I am) liked sharing a room so much that even after we moved to the suburbs of Nashville (talk about a culture shock) we still wanted to share a room.

I also really miss being able to walk or take the bus everywhere.

I can tell you that based on living in NYC and Nashville, (and visiting NYC quite frequently now) that people in NYC are just as friendly as people I've met in other places. Just because you don't stop and say hello to everyone, doesn't mean you're not a nice person.

Sorry for ranting, I just really hate seeing a city I love being stereotyped so negatively. You might not like NYC. It might no be the right place for you. That does not mean that it is some god-forsaken awful place. Given the chance, I would move back there in a heartbeat.

As long as I have a park within walking distance and a balcony for growing herbs etc, I really don't need a garden. And it's not like crime doesn't happen in the suburbs or rural areas!

This too. The only times I have had property stolen in the U.S. (been robbed and mugged plenty abroad, but I don't really count those) have been when I lived in the suburbs (car broken into, lots of property stolen from my in-laws house which is located in one of the most high-income counties in the U.S.). That's not to say crime, and at a higher rate, doesn't happen in the city, or even in my neighborhood, but it can happen anywhere, which I think people (ahem - looking at you dear MIL) forget.

I've lived in both the city and the country, and the burbs in between, and you'll never get me back out of the country into the mess of the city. Here we have 10 acres for the dog to run free on; we have fresh eggs and goat milk; I don't have one single window treatment in the whole house because no one lives near enough for us to be paranoid about neighbors seeing in. That was the whole thing about the city and the burbs: NEIGHBORS. You end up with what you end up with. I finally had it up to my eyebrows the day I had to walk down the street and scold a haughty soccer mom for speeding her goddamned Volvo 45mph in a well-marked, residential, 15 mph area. That very night I told my husband we may as well build on the river property because I was sick to death of the people I was forced to deal with in the neighborhood. We also had rude, inconsiderate neighbors in the city, who left their garbage in our driveway all the time and cranked the music at all hours. We've lived in the sticks for about 20 months now, and it's so peaceful. If I need the city, I can go there; but I need it less and less. I can't wait to retire and live here forever. And now I'm going out and listen to the frogs in the pond....

I live in a very small city in an area surrounded by farms. The people are either farm families who have been here for 100+ years and have no interest in newcomers, or Latino families who came for the manufacturing and agriculture jobs. Let's just say my Spanish has become very good, because the average white citizen of my town has no interest in me once we establish that they don't know any of my "people". Upon hearing that I moved from California, most of the established families are happy to tell me that they wish the Californians would all go back home because they are destroying the town. Very "polite" people who would not give you a cheerio if you were starving.

There is stuff you can do here, but it costs the same as the city stuff. The admission to the Pacific Science Center where I can see King Tut in a few weeks is the same as the little museum here where I can see rusty farm equipment. I could walk around the countryside here and dodge numerous biting insects and prickly bushes, but I would rather walk around Pike's Place in Seattle.

I sound like I hate my community, and I really don't. I have put down roots here and it is the place we call home. But I would hardly describe it as inexpensive, or friendly, or polite, or anything like that. I have accepted that I will always be on fringe of this city, even as a doctor, even after being here for decades, because I don't have generations of family who worked the native soil. They have the same attitude as the people in this post and it is amusing at best, offensive and xenophobic at worst.

For certain groups of people, cities are lifesavers. I don't know many small towns with gay bars, for instance.

For all that London is huge and expensive to live in, I've had awesome days out there on less than £10 a day (including transport within London). You just have to know the best places to go. For example, Southwark Cathedral is gorgeous, welcoming and has gay-friendly leadership - and has free entry! Compare that to the fortune charged by both Westminster Abbey and St Pauls Cathedral. There's also Westminster Cathedral which is the Catholic cathedral for London - it's beautiful. Chinatown is a good place for cheap food in London, but my favourite is a vegetarian Indian buffet which charges a whole £4 (all day!) for all-you-can-eat. Most museums and galleries are free, and with an Oyster card public transport is much cheaper.

Off topic, but: £4 Indian buffet... the one in Angel? I was there last week for a friend's birthday. :shock: :D

Off topic, but: £4 Indian buffet... the one in Angel? I was there last week for a friend's birthday. :shock: :D

Yes! I love it haha.

I have lived in both. I currently live in the country and I can honestly say I can't wait to leave. It's nice being among nature but it's just not convenient. We live 10 minutes from the grocery store and that one is crappy and we live 25 minutes from the nearest city. It costs so much to drive places and there's just nothing to do here. We don;t have a good transit system either.

I'd consider moving within Detroit city limits someday. The problem would be distance from my favorite grocery stores and other businesses, as well as safety (though there are some nice neighborhoods and Michigan has a Castle Doctrine).

I live in a very small city in an area surrounded by farms. The people are either farm families who have been here for 100+ years and have no interest in newcomers, or Latino families who came for the manufacturing and agriculture jobs. Let's just say my Spanish has become very good, because the average white citizen of my town has no interest in me once we establish that they don't know any of my "people". Upon hearing that I moved from California, most of the established families are happy to tell me that they wish the Californians would all go back home because they are destroying the town. Very "polite" people who would not give you a cheerio if you were starving.

There is stuff you can do here, but it costs the same as the city stuff. The admission to the Pacific Science Center where I can see King Tut in a few weeks is the same as the little museum here where I can see rusty farm equipment. I could walk around the countryside here and dodge numerous biting insects and prickly bushes, but I would rather walk around Pike's Place in Seattle.

I sound like I hate my community, and I really don't. I have put down roots here and it is the place we call home. But I would hardly describe it as inexpensive, or friendly, or polite, or anything like that. I have accepted that I will always be on fringe of this city, even as a doctor, even after being here for decades, because I don't have generations of family who worked the native soil. They have the same attitude as the people in this post and it is amusing at best, offensive and xenophobic at worst.

I would like to live in an area like that but have that within 30-60 minutes to a major city to access doctors, shopping and things that can only be found in cities with a population over 100,000.

I have often experienced that "I'm from the country and am much better than you city dwellers". I think both places have their faults and good points. I grew up in a small town and always dreamed of living in the country. But I have come to the realization that for me city living is what I am stuck with. With my health issues, I need to be close to doctor, pharmacy, grocery store and work. Also, with my failing health, I just couldn't keep up with house, yard, etc. So I will buy my condo and make the best of it. I'll collect my animal books, grow a garden in pots and have two cats instead of chickens and goats. And who knows, one day when Aaron becomes rich and famous, he can buy me a home in the country and hire someone to take care of it for me. LOL

I grew up in a tiny town, knew tons of farm kids, and now live in a decent sized city. Unfortunately, her judgmental, ridiculous attitude and that of many of her commenters is the same as most people I knew in my hometown. I find people here in the city to be so much friendlier and more open to others than the "country folk" I've known (Of course I know there are plenty of open-minded, friendly rural people--I just haven't personally met any).

Also, there is a TON to do here for free or cheap. As I'm sure there is in any city. Just like everything else, this fundie is spouting off without actually knowing what she's talking about. I'm sure if she had done a tiny bit of research before she went she'd have pretty easily found fun things to do without spending a lot.

Oh, and as a city-dweller, I never go to the mall myself. Not that I'd judge anyone who likes it. It's just not my cup of tea. Why the hell is that attitude so hard for fundies to understand?

LadyPugLover, that's one of the things I love about this area--you can be in the heart of the city then drive 30 minutes and be on a farm (there are many). There's also a ton of great hiking within the city limits.

I'm currently a country dweller, and I love it, wouldn't change for the world. If I couldn't for some reason live on a farm, I would choose city life. I use to live in Toronto and of all the places I've lived, I only miss that city. I strongly dislike suburbia, it's the worst of both worlds. At least in the country, there's privacy even though all the amenities are far away, no such thing in the 'burbs. The city trades privacy for super convenience, everything at your fingertips, but in the 'burbs you still need a car.

Of course, if I were to be made to move, I'd probably keep a few banty chickens on the balcony of my downtown condo, because I'm odd like that.

I strongly dislike suburbia, it's the worst of both worlds.

Speak it.

I think the main thing is to figure out what sort of lifestyle (meaning, what sort of transit, what sort of noise, etc) YOU NEED, and then pick a place.

For me, I need walkability/bikeability or good transit. That means I like dense urban areas where my neighborhood has almost everything and work is either there OR a quick transit hop away, and I'm okay with small towns where there's only one of everything (including my job, unless that's at home) but it's all concentrated in 5 city blocks (if the small town is ALIVE, that is!) and I'm okay with medium towns where there's that same downtown and the rest of what I need is busable.

But the suburbs, for me, are definitely the worst of both worlds. You can't get to anything. In my area, one version of horrible suburbs is the DEAD small town, where it was happening in the 60's but has long since died, there is no more downtown, there is maybe a convenience store on the edge of town but if you want anything else it's a half hour drive to the nearest WalMart, and you WILL be commuting that same half hour (or more!) to your job in the closest medium sized town around.

If you drive, and you like that driving (there's no traffic) then definitely it suits you, great. But you have to factor the price of gas and the car maintenance in. (And when you fall on hard times in those towns, the social services also need to do so, but that's another rant.)

Archived