IGNORED

City Folks Drool, Country Folks Rule

GolightlyGrrl

...Well, at least according to Patrice Lewis at Rural Revolution:

rural-revolution.com/2012/04/american-idol-culture.html

I've lived in cities my entire adult life, and I had to laugh when Patrice wrote that you can't do anything in the city without paying gobs of money. Well, if you do your homework you can find a lot of free or inexpensive things to do in the city. My city boasts free days at local museums, free street festivals, free outdoor concerts. You can find inexpensive restaurants with all kinds of delicious food. You don't have to go to the mall; and maybe it's just me, but aren't most malls found in suburbs, not cities?

And I can safely assure Patrice most city-dwellers would find "manty-hose" ridiculous and think a woman parading in front of her daughter in a g-string is not exactly positive.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in "the country" and have no love for it. I don't ever want to move farther out than the 'burbs. I like driving to the country and hiking and enjoying nature and then driving home where I can trek to the supermarket in five minutes if I need to.

I have to agree that it is hard to do things cheaply in the city. A couple months ago, my husband and I took advantage of some free museum days, but even though the museums were free, we still had to pay parking (it ended up bieng about $4 each time) then we went to a cheap restaurant, which once again, we had to pay for parking. Busses and trains get expensive unless you have a pass (and Sunnidude and I don't use those enough to justify getting one). But there are lots of cheap or free events in cities, so you are right that it doesn't have to be too expensive.

ETA-Did she have to scream "hick" with every sentance she wrote?

One moment was pretty funny. We walked into a mall and stopped at the Mall Directory to get our bearings. "We have to go THIS way," said Older Daughter. "Or is it THAT way?" I replied. We got our bearings and started walking, after which I said to Younger Daughter, "That's it. This confirms us as a bunch of country bumpkins."

How hard is it to figure out which way to go?

About false nails--

We also speculated on what it would be like to milk a cow with these things on. Poor cow.

I took special note of a store targeted specifically at little girls...

...because of how outrageously fluorescent this year's fashions appear to be. No sneaking through the woods watching deer in these colors!

A-I'm pretty sure deer are colorblind. Your argument is invalid. B-You dumbass! Those clothes aren't meant for hunting! You want hunting clothes? Go to Cabella's!

Oddly the most interesting store we encountered -- and I'm kicking myself for not taking photos -- was a store selling... reptiles. Yes, really.
OMG Someone call Ripley's! She saw a pet store!!!! We have to document this for future generations!!!111!!!!

As much as I miss life in Montana, I do NOT miss people like her (my high school was full of them. I have NO patience for them. The world does not revolve around a farm, people!

Excuse me for one moment while I rage at hearing MORE of this bullshit: :angry-screaming:

Okay, done.

Jesus, I actually like living in a city way more than the country. I've found the people one hell of a lot nicer, for starters, because city folk don't seem to have this knee-jerk reaction to country folk "not knowing how to have fun" and "ruining the town" or whatever. I grew up hearing a LOT of that bullshit (to the point where the phrase "city slickers who don't know how to have fun" is included in one definition for Hometown on Urban Dictionary). True, city folk don't have that tendency to smile and say "hello" to every single person they pass in the street, but that would be pretty damn time-consuming and tiresome in a populous enough city.

I've also never had the problem of not having enough money to do anything. Even with only a few bucks, you can find *something*. I've had the benefit of living in/near coastal cities, so at least going to the beach was an option in the summer. I'd contend that entertainment in a city isn't that expensive at all, because you're spending less on gas to go somewhere, and less on alcohol for your buddies. You don't need permits to do things in a city, because you can't hunt or fish.

Also, I've seen a lot more crazy shit in the city than in the country, but "mantyhose" wouldn't even be tolerated in Collegetown.

As for fashions being "fluorescent"... wtf? I can't even wrap my head around that. Where does she get her clothes from? Does she really think NOBODY in the country dresses that way, with super-tall heels and bright clothes? Maybe it's because Hometown is next to three cities with malls of varying sizes, but... holy hell, her ignorance astounds me. Then again in the country you do kind of have to dress for comfort, and nobody will bat an eye if you do.

What a stupid thing to get up on your high horse about! Where one prefers to live is entirely about personal preference, not morals. They make a big deal out of the stupidest things. I'm waiting for the day they turn "toilet paper - under or over?" into a morals issue.

Depends what city you're in. DC is a goldmine for free stuff to do. My own hometown, St. Louis, does pretty well, considering our size. Our art museum, history museum, science center, and zoo are free, and our amazing botanical garden is free two days a week. 1000 free seats are made available every night at The Muny, a 11,000 seat outdoor theater that stages musicals seven days a week for seven weeks every summer. For grown-ups, there are free tours (and samples) at local breweries like Anheuser-Busch and Schlafly.

I have to agree that it is hard to do things cheaply in the city. A couple months ago, my husband and I took advantage of some free museum days, but even though the museums were free, we still had to pay parking (it ended up bieng about $4 each time) then we went to a cheap restaurant, which once again, we had to pay for parking. Busses and trains get expensive unless you have a pass (and Sunnidude and I don't use those enough to justify getting one). But there are lots of cheap or free events in cities, so you are right that it doesn't have to be too expensive.

ETA-Did she have to scream "hick" with every sentance she wrote?

How hard is it to figure out which way to go?

About false nails--

A-I'm pretty sure deer are colorblind. Your argument is invalid. B-You dumbass! Those clothes aren't meant for hunting! You want hunting clothes? Go to Cabella's!

OMG Someone call Ripley's! She saw a pet store!!!! We have to document this for future generations!!!111!!!!

As much as I miss life in Montana, I do NOT miss people like her (my high school was full of them. I have NO patience for them. The world does not revolve around a farm, people!

I don't know... I live in a relatively uncool city with piss-poor public transit, and can still walk to school, work, and TONS of free (museums, street festivals) or cheap (farmer's markets, sporting events, concerts) events. I have heard a lot of women my age (mid-late twenties) complain about how our city isn't fashionable enough, but I am happy going just about anywhere in jeans. Which I like. Never worn shoes that high-heeled in my life. I haven't had fake (or long) nails since senior prom. And around here, malls are strictly a suburban phenomenon. I avoid them like the plague, but it is nice to have the option before a job interview or wedding.

I'll probably never be fashionable, but I am definitely an urbanite (and Mr. AJD is a recent convert). I have ZERO desire to live in the suburbs and even less desire to go more rural than that. But I'm not going to write a blog post and whip out every hick, over-consumption, or uneducated rural stereotype :roll: Who walks through a mall and thinks everyone not living on a farm dresses like the mannequins or wears "manties"?

I like driving to the country and hiking and enjoying nature and then driving home where I can trek to the supermarket in five minutes if I need to.

This. It's kind of how I feel about snow. It's fun to play in it, drive to it, and then drive home where I won't have to shovel anything.

I suppose it depends on the city. But there are lots and lots of free parks around here and other cheap things. Also, we used to live in a small town. I noticed we spend less on gas now because everything we need/want is relatively close by. No more having to drive 40 miles to get gluten free groceries because the small town grocery store doesn't carry what you need. And there is stuff to do in a city that doesn't involve shooting the breeze with your neighbors. (We still do that, but we have options. ;) )

Honestly, if I were less open-minded, I'd say that post confirms my worst fears about rural people, close-minded, judgmental, suspicious, and smug. But I know enough people that prefer the country (why I haven't a clue but to each their own) to know this is just her.

I'll only add that in my experience, it was easier to make friends in a city than in a small town.

However, I'm a confirmed urbanite. I don't want to live any place smaller than here. And currently, we're pushing 2 million.

Honestly, if I were less open-minded, I'd say that post confirms my worst fears about rural people, close-minded, judgmental, suspicious, and smug. But I know enough people that prefer the country (why I haven't a clue but to each their own) to know this is just her.

I'll only add that in my experience, it was easier to make friends in a city than in a small town.

I grew up in a small town, and Patrice's post reminded me why I moved to the city soon after hs graduation.

Of course, there are wonderful small towns and rural areas; I just prefer the city life I guess.

Jesus, I actually like living in a city way more than the country. I've found the people one hell of a lot nicer, for starters, because city folk don't seem to have this knee-jerk reaction to country folk "not knowing how to have fun" and "ruining the town" or whatever.

:text-yeahthat:

Not to mention "you have to live here a while before people accept you". Cue theme from Deliverance...

As for it being expensive to find things to do in the city: I find that comes from tourists who do touristy things like go to musicals and wax museums and won't take public transit so they blow a ton on cabs. Spend a few days like the locals (assuming this is a major city) and walk, go to the public parks. I don't deny that basic expenses tend to be higher (food and lodging) but I've had amazing (completely free) experiences in the city that were pure serendipity while out and about. Not while having to pay for drinks sitting in the local bar because it's the only thing to do for 50 miles in either direction....

For certain groups of people, cities are lifesavers. I don't know many small towns with gay bars, for instance.

For all that London is huge and expensive to live in, I've had awesome days out there on less than £10 a day (including transport within London). You just have to know the best places to go. For example, Southwark Cathedral is gorgeous, welcoming and has gay-friendly leadership - and has free entry! Compare that to the fortune charged by both Westminster Abbey and St Pauls Cathedral. There's also Westminster Cathedral which is the Catholic cathedral for London - it's beautiful. Chinatown is a good place for cheap food in London, but my favourite is a vegetarian Indian buffet which charges a whole £4 (all day!) for all-you-can-eat. Most museums and galleries are free, and with an Oyster card public transport is much cheaper.

rural-revolution.com/2012/04/american-idol-culture.html A better link for those of us that can't do the DOT thing well.

Manty hose huh?

Well what would she have said about the little boy baby tights I had for my sons? Yes, they were tights just like you would put on your daughters but meant for those cold snowy days and don't want the long underwear aor choose to wear both. Baby pants have gaps due to the snaps between the legs and little boys get just as cold as little girls do. So I found little boy versions of tights that had fire trucks, racing cars, footballs ect on them and were packaged as tights for bbaby boys. They were very well made and lasted through all 5 boys and quite thick like a sock would be. My sons loved them and as toddlers would get out which ever pair they wanted to wear that day. Other mothers even asked where I got them as they wanted some but sadly it was just a one time thing back in time, which didn't help women who were pre-teens when my oldest was born.

Manty hose makes sense when you're wearing pants that snap up the center and I dare her to tell Joe Namath that he was a wussy for wearing pantyhose.

qf3oOQq9KFU

About false nails--

Ok, about the cow milking... I dunno how she learned to milk cows, but the way I learned your nails would have to be pretty damn long to get in the way.

Also, I have a hard time believing that even living her whole life in the country she has never once seen of or heard of a pet store.

If she is not intentionally acting stupid then I weep for human kind.

As for it being expensive to find things to do in the city: I find that comes from tourists who do touristy things like go to musicals and wax museums and won't take public transit so they blow a ton on cabs. Spend a few days like the locals (assuming this is a major city) and walk, go to the public parks. I don't deny that basic expenses tend to be higher (food and lodging) but I've had amazing (completely free) experiences in the city that were pure serendipity while out and about. Not while having to pay for drinks sitting in the local bar because it's the only thing to do for 50 miles in either direction....

Or they DO take public transit, kinda, but their hotels (being the cheaper hotels that are still chains) are on the ass-edge of town so either the transit is horribly timed or they have to take a cab for the last bit. Plus they're just new to it so don't know how to use transit efficiently. Yes, it IS a skill.

It can be cheap to LIVE in a city. Being a tourist in a city can be expensive, particularly if you're rural or suburban and just don't know HOW to get around in a city, and even more so if you insist on staying in corporate chain hotels that seem to be on the edges of town always. If you want things to be cheap, you need to investigate transit BEFORE you decide where to stay, and you can't be afraid to try out some Mom'n'Pop places or hostel type places.

I had some great "serendipity" experience on a vacation in Washington DC a few years ago. I was wandering around downtown, did not have a cellphone (I do now, partly due to realizing how much it would have helped me!!) but did have a (heavy) laptop. I happened into the Newseum (VERY awesome, I will recommend it to anyone, though it DOES cost $$) and spent most of the day in there, but importantly bought a guide "NFT (Not For Tourists) guide to DC." Left there, thought I needed to contact friends, start looking for wireless internet.

Went into a Starbucks (alien to me!), too bad, so sad, I don't have any AT&T account so no free anything and apparently there's no way to just pay right there for 5 minutes. So I haul out my newly bought guide, thinking to look up the public library location and walk to it.

Just my luck the guide points out, there's free wireless internet all over the National Mall, which is 2 blocks away! Screw Starbucks, I went over there, all was golden, for free :) Sat under a tree in a nice breeze, had email, it was heavenly.

I live in a small town, and in the even smaller town next door, nobody bats an eye if a guy is wearing a man-skirt, or the guy who was wearing a sundress and leggings at a contra dance I was at. (I've been known to dress about 150 years out of date and nobody cares either.) While there are a lot of people like Patrice here, there are just as many hippies, and the hippie side seems to set the pace of the town overall.

ETA- and I like some of those shoes- can't wear them anymore, and really never wore them often before my joints went bad, but heels like that are fun- and I always found platform heels much more stable than regular heels.

I've lived rurally 6 miles away from a town of under 2k in the Coast range mountains of Boregonia, I've lived in a oceanside aritists resort town of under 5k before the tourists and nouveau riche turned it into a shit hole of tourist traps, I've live outside of El Lay in the urban metro sprawl, in SF at the corner of Powell and Mason and now I live in a medium sized college town. All locations worked for me for the those times in my life. I was lucky I had choices.

I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, nearly 20 minutes to the nearest decent-sized town (forget actual city, those were hours away). All I'll say is not a chance in hell I want to live somewhere that rural again. It's not wholly bad, but the cons far outweigh the pros to me. I find their pride in being self-proclaimed rednecks very strange.

I've lived in cities my entire adult life, and I had to laugh when Patrice wrote that you can't do anything in the city without paying gobs of money. Well, if you do your homework you can find a lot of free or inexpensive things to do in the city. My city boasts free days at local museums, free street festivals, free outdoor concerts. You can find inexpensive restaurants with all kinds of delicious food. You don't have to go to the mall; and maybe it's just me, but aren't most malls found in suburbs, not cities?

Most large cities have many free events. And many that aren't free have promotions where admission is a couple bucks or maybe a couple cans of food for a food bank. The art museum here has dirt cheap family membership rates. $30 or so a year for a full family. The science museum has $2-admission on Sundays. Yeah, gobs of money.

I've lived in cities and in the country, and my ideal is a country setting close enough to a city to make a run into town.

I'd go as far to say that it's MORE expensive to live in the country, especially taking transport costs into consideration. If you live in a rural area and can't afford a car and its associated running costs, you're screwed. Obviously many towns and cities have terrible public transport, but most still have amenities (especially things like public libraries, town halls, places of worship, gyms etc) within walking distance. I've found that you walk a LOT in cities.

I love living in the country. I tried urban living for a few years and it is not for me.I get nervous just driving into the city. I like my roads 2 lanes and I DESPISE parallel parking.

Ugh, parallel parking. When I was a teen, we all went to a DMV a couple towns over because that's the one that didn't have parallel parking as part of the road exam to get a license. My dad could parallel park in spaces so small I don't know how it was possible. Like a foot in front and a foot in back of clearance when done. How the hell did that work? Me? I need at least 4 feet in front and back to else forget it.

I love living in the country. I tried urban living for a few years and it is not for me.

I feel the same, clibbyjo.

If we (husband and I) ever get to "retire", out we go.

Tired of noise and endless traffic. No longer care about malls (love internet shopping if I need things), theaters (never went much anyway), restaurants, etc, etc.

My metropolitan area is public-transit-poor-to-mostly-nonexistent. An hour and a half (it's not that long every day, but it is many times - only takes a drop of rain - ) commute each way has lost its appeal a long time ago.

FWIW, there ARE intelligent, educated people who live in rural places.

I grew up on a farm and liked it. There were lots of chores, but it was fun being outside a lot and having tons of space to play. It was nice knowing all my neighbours well. I now live in a large urban city, and like the perks of 24 hour shopping, transit, museums, theatres, etc. I do not like the traffic (doesn't affect me that much as I live only 3 km from where I work). I probably will move to a more rural setting when I retire as cost of living is higher in the city.

Maybe it's because of the city that you live in, but I've spent my entire life living in the NYC suburbs and as soon as I have the means to get the hell out of here and buy a house in the country, you will have to watch my dust.

Nothing in NY is cheap or free. Sunnichick hit it on the head when she mentions things like parking and transportation - all of which add up nicely. Everything is more expensive - from entertainment to food to just plain living. NYers have also earned their reputation for being rude. They are truly self-centered and both neglectful and mistrustful of others. Never stop looking where you're going on a city street because people will think nothing of running you down (although to be fair I see this in most major cities - except for Chicago where people are so nice it's almost creepy). My husband is a refugee from Queens and he still carries that mistrust and paranoia and judgmental attitude even though he has come to hate the city too.

I hate the whole superiority act that these people have. They truly think they're better than everyone else because they choose to pay $2500 a month for a 400SF apartment that they have to barricade themselves into to avoid inevitable crimes against them. The contempt they feel for the "B&Ts" is incredibly insulting. Your neighborhood doesn't make you any better than the rest of us!

Now again, my perspective is skewed because NY is the only city I was exposed to for much of my life. If it's typical of city life and city people though, then count me out!

It's fun to say where I'm from when I'm pissing off fundies though. NY is nicely "godless". :)

Archived