IGNORED

Civil War Seamstress

RR88

Tudor gowns were often INCREDIBLY low cut - sometimes to just above the nipple. It was not considered immodest at all. However, sleeves had to be full-length, and sleeves that were shorter were considered immodest, much more so than cleavage showing.

I think the whole thing about sticking out is what puzzles me about Plain dressers, especially ones who live in regular communities like Plain-dressing Quakers. Wearing bonnets and prairie dresses will make you stand out, which is surely not modest. A dark-coloured skirt and blouse in plain fabric, and maybe a headscarf or snood for headcovering purposes, would stand out less and be a lot more modest. It's not that I don't see the appeal of historical dress and prairie dresses look extremely comfortable, but in terms of modesty they fail unless you only see people in your own community.

Weren't bright colors also considered immodest? Especially after 1870 or so when synthetic dyes started to come onto the market?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at that entry also and shook my head. I wouldn't even have thought it was supposed to be a recreation of the original if she hadn't said so. The skirt needs a lot more yardage and the rows of shirring need to be thicker. The hoop needs to be much bigger. The bodice...let's not go there.

Really, it takes one set of skills to sew, and another to replicate. Not everyone who can knock together a gown can replicate well. Replication takes an ability to notice the tiny details that others wouldn't notice, but would notice if they weren't there. "I can't quite put my finger on it, but something's wrong." I got a client earlier this year by telling her exactly why an item she was interested in that was being sold on ebay for half the price I was charging just didn't seem right to her, even though, as far as she noticed, it was the same. Once I pointed out the subtle details, they added up and she currently has a commission with me.

That girl can sew. She can't replicate. I've looked at a couple other things, and her heart is in the right place, but she's not oriented to the tiny details.

I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way. I mean I mean I am, by no means, able to replicate what she does, but through my experience with cosplay and such I am extremely exacting and that is NOT what was pictured.

Weren't bright colors also considered immodest? Especially after 1870 or so when synthetic dyes started to come onto the market?

Not in Tudor times, ie the 1500s, no ;) Bright colours and flashy clothing/jewellery were frowned upon by some Protestants (Elizabeth I wore plain black and white dresses to gain their sympathy when she was a princess in Mary I's custody) but in general the colours you wore were determined by class status, not modesty. The Sumptuary Laws or Statutes of Apparel stated that working class people could wear various shades of brown, russet, grey and blue (a greyish blue from dyeing with woad, not a deep indigo blue that was reserved for the rich).

As for Victorian times, there were socially acceptable colours for the various stages of mourning (black obviously, plus stripes, grey and purple for the later stages), but while cheaper synthetic colours might have been considered declassé, they weren't considered immodest.

Not in Tudor times, ie the 1500s, no ;) Bright colours and flashy clothing/jewellery were frowned upon by some Protestants (Elizabeth I wore plain black and white dresses to gain their sympathy when she was a princess in Mary I's custody) but in general the colours you wore were determined by class status, not modesty. The Sumptuary Laws or Statutes of Apparel stated that working class people could wear various shades of brown, russet, grey and blue (a greyish blue from dyeing with woad, not a deep indigo blue that was reserved for the rich).

As for Victorian times, there were socially acceptable colours for the various stages of mourning (black obviously, plus stripes, grey and purple for the later stages), but while cheaper synthetic colours might have been considered declassé, they weren't considered immodest.

I remember though from one of my history courses the Bowery Boys subculture who roamed around NYC; apparently one of the things that they liked to fight over was the people who thought that their accompanying ladies were whorish because they wore brightly colored dresses.

I remember though from one of my history courses the Bowery Boys subculture who roamed around NYC; apparently one of the things that they liked to fight over was the people who thought that their accompanying ladies were whorish because they wore brightly colored dresses.

I have no idea about how it was in the US, sorry. Considering the immigrant population of NYC and how important religion was to those communities, it sounds plausible.

I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way. I mean I mean I am, by no means, able to replicate what she does, but through my experience with cosplay and such I am extremely exacting and that is NOT what was pictured.

I was just now reading her blog and clicked on that gown thinking I was going to be wowed because the original is so stunning. That is not even CLOSE to the same thing. They are both white, that is all. :?

This.

At the end of some days, I'm happy to get my corset off, but not to any more of an extent than I am to get my bra off at night. (Unless I've been sneezing, I sneeze with my entire body.)

And the thing to remember, if you started wearing a corset at a young age, you'd be very uncomfortable without one, just like most people now are uncomfortable without their usual underwear.

Sports bras aren't uncomfortable; "real" bras are, and that's why I do not wear them. For someone with an A-cup to torture herself with an itchy underwire that only makes her boobs unnaturally round-looking…I don't bother with that. Besides, most bra manufacturers assume my size does not exist.

Sports bras aren't uncomfortable; "real" bras are, and that's why I do not wear them. For someone with an A-cup to torture herself with an itchy underwire that only makes her boobs unnaturally round-looking…I don't bother with that. Besides, most bra manufacturers assume my size does not exist.

QFT! 32AA, here. No, I do not want so much padding that I look like a B cup. I just don't want my nipples sticking out. That's all.

QFT! 32AA, here. No, I do not want so much padding that I look like a B cup. I just don't want my nipples sticking out. That's all.

I wish I had these problems, as a 32 D I can't imagine anything without a wire.

Yes! Although under wire does not bother me, I don't need as much padding as they put in most small bras. Really, I don't. I just want some pretty underwear.

Corsets have always fascinated me as has clothing from most eras that used corsets.(did that sentence make sense?)

Maybe one day, one of you more talented seamstresses could have a sew along. If you buy an easier piece, some of us could try to make it with you. You'd need a lot(and I mean a lot) of photos of each step for someone like me to understand.

I'm about a 40A. Sometimes I don't wear a bra if I'm not leaving the house.

I'm about a 40A. Sometimes I don't wear a bra if I'm not leaving the house.

I'm a 34C and an extended breastfeeder. Since I don't enjoy sagging to my knees, I either wear a bra or a leotard with a built-in bra or one of the shirts I have that are cut in such a way to provide great support even without a bra.

What I hate about buying bras is that the wires in a lot of 34 banded bras are so narrow, like whoever designed them things having a 34 band means you only needs a few inches of space between the ends of the wires. And even with a C-cup, so many bras are ridiculously padded. For shits and giggles I grabbed one saying it'll boost you 3 cup sizes with me into the dressing room to try on, and I couldn't even laugh. On my body, looking like a 34DDD was horrible and made me look about to fall over. But most bras have at least a cup's worth of padding. I finally found a bra in the stereotypical nude that had just slight padding (yay for preventing nipple pokage!) with slight padding on the wires, making for one of the most comfortable bras I've ever worn. Too bad Target only had one. When I can find more, I'll gladly buy them.

I wish I had these problems, as a 32 D I can't imagine anything without a wire.

I'm an E cup and find wired bras SO uncomfortable :( I love the shape they give me but the wires dig into my tummy below my bust, and I can't bend over! They also dig into the sides as my breasts naturally flop towards my armpits a little. A well-constructed non-wired bra does give adequate support, although they give a pointier, bullet bra style shape which I'm less fond of. Also for this reason, you can't get supportive seamless non-wired bras, and I find that the seams in my more supportive bras rub my nipples uncomfortably.

Maybe one day, one of you more talented seamstresses could have a sew along. If you buy an easier piece, some of us could try to make it with you. You'd need a lot(and I mean a lot) of photos of each step for someone like me to understand.

I think this could be fun. Any suggestions for the item? In a few months I'd be willing to lead a sew-a-long.

Have you guys tried the Barely There bras? I wear those and the ones I have don't have underwire in them (I'm a size 32/34A)

Have you guys tried the Barely There bras? I wear those and the ones I have don't have underwire in them (I'm a size 32/34A)

This is the one I love! Mine has underwiring, but it's comfortable! The band is amazing. LOVE.

This is the one I love! Mine has underwiring, but it's comfortable! The band is amazing. LOVE.

Yes!! I tried them after playtex stopped making the bras I liked. These are SOOO comfortable the shoulder straps don't dig into you either which is an issue I had with other bras. And You're right the under band I LOVE I don't get left with red marks anymore. Best bras ever.

ETA: this the one I wear http://www.barelythere.com/bras/detail/ ... &colid=20#

Urban Outfitters always seems to have a pretty decent selection of wireless bralettes and bandeaus. Could be worth a look if you're stuck.

Edit: Oo...here's a fairly recent 'best of bralettes' list that seems to name several brands people could check out. http://www.luckymag.com/blogs/luckyrigh ... es#slide=2

That link has some cute stuff, but most of them are horrendously expensive. $175 for a piece of lace? No, thank you. I'll stick with sports bras and camisoles that have "shelves" built into them.

Yeah, I noticed that too. There's a bra from the Gap on the list though that's cute and $25.00, which is pretty reasonable. Most of the non-wireless bras on their website look like they run between $20 and 35, just FYI. I bet you could find some for even less at an outlet store or TJ Maxx.

I don't know why I didn't think of Sloggi first! Comfy as hell.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp ... lour=White

Mastectomy bras also seem to come in a 40A - I don't see a reason why someone who hasn't had a mastectomy couldn't wear one, they just have pockets for prostheses (which you would just leave empty).

H&M also have these up to a US ladies size 12 - I think you might have more luck if you go by dress size rather than cup/back size.

http://www.hm.com/us/product/98642?article=98642-A

A few of my friends are addicted to TJ Maxx. I'll have to go there more often and take a look at what bras/bralettes they have.

I don't know why I didn't think of Sloggi first! Comfy as hell.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp ... lour=White

Mastectomy bras also seem to come in a 40A - I don't see a reason why someone who hasn't had a mastectomy couldn't wear one, they just have pockets for prostheses (which you would just leave empty).

H&M also have these up to a US ladies size 12 - I think you might have more luck if you go by dress size rather than cup/back size.

http://www.hm.com/us/product/98642?article=98642-A

:clap: :clap: :clap:

All hail the mighty fluttershies!

Archived