IGNORED

Civil War Seamstress

RR88

Has anyone read her blog? She's a fundie, I believe, but I give her points for sewing Civil War-era clothing. (Even though she and her man dress up like Confederates...) And her fiancé is hot! storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-engaged.html

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone read her blog? She's a fundie, I believe, but I give her points for sewing Civil War-era clothing. (Even though she and her man dress up like Confederates...) And her fiancé is hot! storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-engaged.html

I don't see the hotness in the boyfriend. However, I really do like that photo of them sitting on a log. And she has a sweet looking engagement ring.

How do people learn to sew so well? I suck at sewing.

I've come across her because she's part of the Feelin Feminine loop. She's certainly a skilled seamstress and her blog isn't particularly snarkworthy, it's mainly about the clothes she sews. I'm not even sure how fundie she is, probably more towards the fundie lite end of the spectrum.

Well somebody has to play on the Confederate side or it would look really silly at re-enactments of just Union soldiers charging at nothing. :whistle:

Well somebody has to play on the Confederate side or it would look really silly at re-enactments of just Union soldiers charging at nothing. :whistle:

That's true. She's definitely fundie; she warns women against being a "stumbling block". storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-thoughts-on-biblical-modesty.html

Aww, gee - now I'm going to have to lose another afternoon to looking at dresses I want! :op

As for her ring, they may have been going to a more historic looking design or just didn't want a diamond solitare. My own engagement ring is a flower shape - 6 round emeralds around a single diamond - and people were a little surprised by Aeryn-boy's choice when they saw it after we announced our engagement. (I didn't know he was going to ask, so never did the whole ring-shopping thing with him.)

Laughing just thinking about it!

I don't see the hotness in the boyfriend. However, I really do like that photo of them sitting on a log. And she has a sweet looking engagement ring.

How do people learn to sew so well? I suck at sewing.

I like the engagement ring, too. And sewing? I'm in awe of her skills. I can cross-stitch, but put me in front of a sewing machine and I'm lost. I can't even thread the darned thing, much less sew a straight seam. :doh:

I like the engagement ring, too. And sewing? I'm in awe of her skills. I can cross-stitch, but put me in front of a sewing machine and I'm lost. I can't even thread the darned thing, much less sew a straight seam. :doh:

Time and practice my dears, time and practice. My first projects are in a filing cabinet in my basement, with a sign on the door to the room that says "beware of the leopard".

My mother is a master seamstress, and has been sewing wedding gowns and quilts and all other sorts of things for decades; someday, she will make my wedding dress for me. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit the ability. My paternal grandmother used to sew, too, and my aunt inherited that ability from her (though she's not as good as my mom). The first thing I sewed fell apart in the wash.

My mother is a master seamstress, and has been sewing wedding gowns and quilts and all other sorts of things for decades; someday, she will make my wedding dress for me. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit the ability. My paternal grandmother used to sew, too, and my aunt inherited that ability from her (though she's not as good as my mom). The first thing I sewed fell apart in the wash.

That may not have been you. That could have been the fabric. Linen has a tendency to FRAY horribly in the wash. If you are working with linen or a loose weave cotton, either french seams (where its completely encased) or going over your seams with a serger would help.

I seriously thought I was the worlds shittiest sewer until I just kept plugging at it. Now i'm not perfect, but I have made stuff that my dad who is VERY critical of a lot of things I do, his eyes bugged out of his head saying "quit lying, you did NOT make that, you bought that". (this was in reference to a Christening dress I made for a friend's baby).

I can't do quilts. I'd eat the fabric first. *twitch twitch*

Nothing quite like getting engaged at a reenactment of one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, is there? What's next ? Weddings at Antietam?

That's funny. I think her ring is hideous. We're opposites! :lol:

*erects cage for fighting purposes*

Wait... opposites attract?

*adds Jello*

:twisted:

Nothing quite like getting engaged at a reenactment of one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, is there? What's next ? Weddings at Antietam?

No! they'll reenact the sinking of the Titanic.... Oh wait....

I'm a CW reenactor. But my husband would not have proposed probably at an event unless it was on the friday night before everything went on- he knows me he knows that I'd want to show off the ring all weekend! LOL

That's funny. I think her ring is hideous. We're opposites! :lol:

I like the idea of it, but the gold looks...cheap and brassy. Also, it may be a bad photo of the ring itself, but the stones don't look to be of good quality either.

I think it would look much nicer if it were of a higher quality. I love non-traditional engagement rings. I didn't get an engagement ring from my ex, but he did buy me a sapphire ring for our ten year and I love(d) it very much. I'm saving it for my daughter now.

Also, this post storyofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2010/10/1860s-white-sheer-ballgown.html made me sad because the original is absolutely stunningly gorgeous and her creation falls completely flat. Seriously, that isn't even close to approximating that gown.

eta - I don't now, I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to reenacting but if you're going to spend all that money and put forth all that skill and effort, do it right. That duplicate is like half as full in the skirts than the original and she needs bigger hoops.

I like the idea of it, but the gold looks...cheap and brassy. Also, it may be a bad photo of the ring itself, but the stones don't look to be of good quality either.

I think it would look much nicer if it were of a higher quality. I love non-traditional engagement rings. I didn't get an engagement ring from my ex, but he did buy me a sapphire ring for our ten year and I love(d) it very much. I'm saving it for my daughter now.

Maybe my aversion to it has to do with the fact that my ex insisted I wear yellow gold jewelry so that it would match the heirloom diamond ring he had given me (also in yellow gold).

I want those dresses.... . Sigh.

I'm coveting the Regency ones. They'd hide the poochy belly I can't seem to get rid of very nicely. :lol:

I'm coveting the Regency ones. They'd hide the poochy belly I can't seem to get rid of very nicely. :lol:

If you wear the proper underthings so does civil war. ESPECIALLY if you're "hippy" like me. People who rarely see me outside of civil war garb are amazed at my corpulence.... :lol:

If you wear the proper underthings so does civil war. ESPECIALLY if you're "hippy" like me. People who rarely see me outside of civil war garb are amazed at my corpulence.... :lol:

I could hide lots under one of those skirts. I need to learn how to sew.

Oh, I know, right? I always wanted to wear a hoopskirt. But for everyday wear, the Regency dresses seem a lot more comfortable. And I could waft around waiting for Colin Firth Mr Darcy to show up dripping wet in his see-through white shirt after taking an impromptu swim in the pond at Pemberley. :dance:

Archived