IGNORED

Tale of the Brides - Yessenia

Lady Elaine

Have you been keeping up with these stories? The latest is about a young girl who gets pulled out of college by her parents because she stayed out after midnight kissing. :o !!!

All of the brides stories are basically the same - these girls think they are never going to get married and resign themselves to a life of service. Then they go to this bible college that is chock full of young men desparate to find wives and WHAM! - they're engaged! What a miracle! Can you believe it?! God is sooooo good!

unusualmaidenbutterflydays.blogspot.com/2012/04/yesses-story-part-2.html

What made me extra-sad about this most recent post is the wilting rose pic at the very end. If someone doesn't want to kiss until marriage, that's their business, but the "used-up flower" imagery just makes me want to headdesk.

Plus, Yesse seems like a lovely young lady who was doing something normal(!) and totally healthy(!), but then has to pour a bunch of kool-aid on it and make it all dirty and shameful-like. I just wish the energy being wasted on the fundie physical contact obsession could be harnessed for something positive for humanity.

So let me get this straight... this is a school that young women are only attending to find a husband (what other purpose does this serve for women who cannot be ministers and are meant to be SAHMs - not to mention this "college" sounds like a complete sham - and is apparently overpriced), and yet when they find someone, they are reprimanded by parents and faculty for actually talking to and kissing (!!!) that person??

This whole mindset makes my head want to explode...

This whole thing just blows my mind. They are mature enough to be husband hunting, but not mature enough to actually engage in any type of relationship without someone looking over their shoulder constantly.

Seriously? Getting pulled out of college over a guy? What the hell is wrong with these people??

Also, her mother pushed her to go to this crappy school that will prepare her for nothing (instead of nursing school, which, if she really was as "career-minded" as she says, would have led to a successful, or at least stable, job) so that she could meet a husband. And when she "clicks" with someone they pull her out of the school (that it sounds like she was working to pay for!). At 19. :shock:

I find it ironic that these girls who are taught that casual relationships are bad, seem so desperate and treat attention from any guy allowed in their social circle seriously. :doh:

And then there's the whole thing that she guesses the relationship was just understood and can't remember a starting point- meaning she probably never agreed to it, but passively allowed it to happen.

That Amanda girl seems to know NOTHING about Deaf culture and she "always had a strong burden for deaf." What. The. Crap. The Widdle Wady thinks it's fun to learn sign language. I'm guessing that's pretty much the extent. She doesn't say anything about getting an actual degree in signing or CSD or anything of the sort. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Sorry, my best friend is a Deaf Ed teacher and these prissy little girls who pity the "poor deaf people" (cause they sure as hell don't see them as Deaf. And there is a big difference.) make me so mad with their "oh, all I have to do is take 1 class on ASL and I'm going to be a translator" BS!

I see a pattern:

Amanda: "It was there that I met Bruce. He seemed interested in me right from the start, and I was flattered because it was the first time a man had ever seemed to like me."

Yesse: "I was never the type of girl who acquired much attention from the males. . . Here was the first man who ever took a serious interest in me. . ."

The message: "I decided that the first guy that I dated/courted was going to be the one I married. I had read “I Kissed Dating Goodbye†by Joshua Harris, and had read the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. These books changed my mindset about the whole 'dating game.'"

The warning story:

Melissa: "There I was; foolish, deceptive and giddy with each guy who would give me the time of day! [oh so ironic] Yes, I loved and craved attention. . . Each “fling†ended in loneliness and pain! I always felt completely empty whenever each “frog†didn’t turn into my prince in the end."

The warning story, despite being saved at 7, needs to get saved again at 19, and after that, the pattern of "friends" wanting to comfort her continues, but this time it's okay!

I am pretty sure I have read about the Rather Unusual Maiden before. Was she a YLCF girl?? I think she switched blog names when she got married and was no longer a maiden.

Yesse's story is really sad. I am surprised the parents broke things off. Wouldn't it make more sense to push for a hasty courtship and engagement now that her lips are already defiled??

That Amanda girl seems to know NOTHING about Deaf culture and she "always had a strong burden for deaf." What. The. Crap. The Widdle Wady thinks it's fun to learn sign language. I'm guessing that's pretty much the extent. She doesn't say anything about getting an actual degree in signing or CSD or anything of the sort. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Sorry, my best friend is a Deaf Ed teacher and these prissy little girls who pity the "poor deaf people" (cause they sure as hell don't see them as Deaf. And there is a big difference.) make me so mad with their "oh, all I have to do is take 1 class on ASL and I'm going to be a translator" BS!

Does she realize that different countries have different sign languages? People may speak English in the African country she plans to go to, but the sign language they use won't be ASL, because the A in ASL stands for American. There are ASL dialects throughout our country, just like with spoken language. She needs to meet some Deaf people. She'll get her ass handed to her with that attitude of "burden to the deaf" that she has. Idiot. Watch, she's probably learning signed English, or something. :roll:

Actually, I think learning languages is fun, but that's because I think words and languages are fascinating. At one time, I wanted to be a special ed teacher who was trilingual in Spanish and ASL. Oh, the aspirations we have when we're young and eager! ;)

One of the reasons I like ASL is that one can convey a complex emotion or just a simple phrase in a few signs - sometimes even just one. ("I'll believe it when I see it" was a cool one to learn :D ) Many times I have difficulty expressing myself in words and find that ASL does a better job of it. Of course, it's been 10 years since I've had ASL classes, and if you don't use it you lose it, so my ability to understand has gone down the tubes.

If Amanda is serious about ASL she needs to change her attitude toward Deaf and Deaf culture (yes, Amanda dear, they DO have a culture). I doubt it though.

Fun fact: Martha's Vineyard used to be a sort of Deaf utopia. http://deafness.about.com/cs/featurearticles/a/marthasvineyard.htm

Fundies and fundie-lite types LOVE to "minister" to the deaf (never Deaf - they wouldn't know the difference and wouldn't want to), start deaf ministries, incorporate sign language into all sorts of dumb theatrics in church. Having been heavily involved in both Deaf culture and a "deaf-friendly" fundie-lite denomination, I can tell you that these types of churches (especially larger denominations in more populated, Deaf-heavy areas) openly compete for Deaf churchgoers, trying to get the largest "deaf ministry" in town. It is like bragging rights for the pastors. :roll:

Archived