IGNORED

Davy wuvs Priscilla

Jessica

How did y'all miss "How BEAUTIFUL are the feet of them that serve the Lord!" and the bridesmaid shoe shot?

I'm getting married June 2014 and taking notes rn.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just found one of my berserk buttons.

If they dont' have permission to be here, at the least, they're inviting a ticket as tracks are private property. At the very worst they're going to smear a perfectly good train with fundy-flavored jelly and screw up their lives, the train crew's lives, and possibly their families' lives (not uncommon for these incidents to lead to loss of jobs or even suicides.)

What is it with fundies and train track pictures? Do they think they can stop a train with prayers? Apperently the SOTDRT doesn't include any lessons about physics or momentum.

Train track pictures just seem to be popular in general with the Pinterest set.

It's not an American tradition to have 10 bridesmaids. All the weddings I've ever been to have had 3 or 4. I think it's really tacky to have so many people in that wedding party, but I guess they do it because it's one of the few socially acceptable ways for unmarried fundie girls to meet boys they're not related to.

Meh, some people just have big families and/or large groups of friends, and want to have everyone feel involved. My parents had a small civil ceremony and had 6 bridesmaids, all family members. They were all junior/child bridesmaids though. I think it is American to pair a bridesmaid up with a groomsman, though - my parents may have had a lot of bridesmaids but they had no groomsmen at all, and I've been to plenty of weddings with lots of bridesmaids but only the best man and a couple of ushers as groomsmen.

Meh, some people just have big families and/or large groups of friends, and want to have everyone feel involved. My parents had a small civil ceremony and had 6 bridesmaids, all family members. They were all junior/child bridesmaids though. I think it is American to pair a bridesmaid up with a groomsman, though - my parents may have had a lot of bridesmaids but they had no groomsmen at all, and I've been to plenty of weddings with lots of bridesmaids but only the best man and a couple of ushers as groomsmen.

Well I think it's ridiculous to have a giant wedding party so your 10 sisters-in-law don't get their feefees hurt. The wedding isn't about them. I don't feel left out every time I go to a wedding that I'm not part of. In fact, I wasn't part of the wedding party when either of my brothers got married. I never felt like it was all about me though, so I didn't expect it. I also don't see the point of having more than one flower girl. It doesn't make anyone feel special if you try to make everyone feel special. I feel like in these fundie weddings, it's more an act of conformity than of honoring any person.

If they dont' have permission to be here, at the least, they're inviting a ticket as tracks are private property. At the very worst they're going to smear a perfectly good train with fundy-flavored jelly and screw up their lives, the train crew's lives, and possibly their families' lives (not uncommon for these incidents to lead to loss of jobs or even suicides.)

What is it with fundies and train track pictures? Do they think they can stop a train with prayers? Apperently the SOTDRT doesn't include any lessons about physics or momentum.

Didn't Erin Bates have a video of her playing piano in the middle of a country road? I think a lot of fundies are just so self-centered that the expect the entire world to stop for them (example: Duggar time). And if a wedding party gets in the way of your train, you better not complain or else you're persecuting them for their religion! They're such martyrs if they have to move out of the way so other people can travel on pathways designated or traveling. They think they're better than everyone else so they can do whatever they want.

Well I think it's ridiculous to have a giant wedding party so your 10 sisters-in-law don't get their feefees hurt. The wedding isn't about them. I don't feel left out every time I go to a wedding that I'm not part of. In fact, I wasn't part of the wedding party when either of my brothers got married. I never felt like it was all about me though, so I didn't expect it. I also don't see the point of having more than one flower girl. It doesn't make anyone feel special if you try to make everyone feel special. I feel like in these fundie weddings, it's more an act of conformity than of honoring any person.

I think part of the problem is that if you have one SIL then you need to have them all so nobody gets their feelings hurt also since a lot of these fundies aren't allowed many friends they probably have closer bonds to their sisters. However I think some wedding parties do get insane and not just fundie ones. I've seen some weddings on TV where people have to have all their sorority sisters and end up with 10+ friends in the wedding. And the matching up groomsmen and bridesmaids at all costs is crazy. My BIL and SIL had a friend of my BIL's from middle school (they had not kept in touch!) in their wedding party since they wanted things to be even but my BIL doesn't really have friends.

It bugs the hell out of me. One of my brothers is a train driver. I saw him a couple of hours after the train he was driving hit a St. Bernard dog that got onto the line. He was in such a state that I hope he never has to cope with a suicide or some moronic person taking wedding pics on the tracks. It's irresponsible and dangerous.

I guess I am the only one here who is HAPPY when I get left out of a wedding party. Damn that shit is expensive, plus you got to wear a hideous dress and pose for photos all day (which I loathe). Nothing better than just showing up for the ceremony, having some food and some drinks, and then taking off when you feel like.

It bugs the hell out of me. One of my brothers is a train driver. I saw him a couple of hours after the train he was driving hit a St. Bernard dog that got onto the line. He was in such a state that I hope he never has to cope with a suicide or some moronic person taking wedding pics on the tracks. It's irresponsible and dangerous.

Exactly. :clap: If people want to go and do stupid stuff that could end up getting them killed, they should do it in a way that isn't going to leave another person with the emotional burden.

I guess I am the only one here who is HAPPY when I get left out of a wedding party. Damn that shit is expensive, plus you got to wear a hideous dress and pose for photos all day (which I loathe). Nothing better than just showing up for the ceremony, having some food and some drinks, and then taking off when you feel like.

This. I used to live in dread whenever a friend got engaged. I would think, Please, please, PLEASE don't ask me to be in the wedding party! Thankfully I was only asked a couple of times, but that was more than enough for me. And when my time came to get married, I had ONE attendant and the joy of watching all my other friends have a lovely time because they weren't attendants! :lol:

As others have pointed out, huge wedding parties are not an American tradition. I actually like what Prince William and Kate Middleton did -- one man/woman of honor and the rest small children.

As for the train imagery, I think it has something to do with tunnels ...

As others have pointed out, huge wedding parties are not an American tradition. I actually like what Prince William and Kate Middleton did -- one man/woman of honor and the rest small children.

As for the train imagery, I think it has something to do with tunnels ...

:shifty:

Is this where abstinence only is getting us these days?

Seriously. I do everything in my power to avoid friends who are planning a wedding. I am busy and that is the last thing I need to deal with - especially since most all the weddings I get invited to are clearly "starter marriage" ones. I show up, get a modest gift, wish them luck, and move on with my life. I am always amazed at how much emotional energy women put into other people's weddings.

Seriously. I do everything in my power to avoid friends who are planning a wedding. I am busy and that is the last thing I need to deal with - especially since most all the weddings I get invited to are clearly "starter marriage" ones. I show up, get a modest gift, wish them luck, and move on with my life. I am always amazed at how much emotional energy women put into other people's weddings.

You just posted in another thread that you're annoyed about the devaluing of marriage vows and now you're spewing hatred against people who actually put some thought and effort into the start of their marriages?

Trooooooooll in the catle!

For someone skeptical of other people's hurt 'feefees,' your own seem to be getting a workout.

Many ethnic weddings have large wedding parties in reflection of the substantial extended families and cultural traditions. What do you do when you run into one? Close your eyes until the dizziness passes? There's a lot of legitimate things to snark on about this wedding; but you're reaching here, and being rather judgmental of non-fundies that don't fall into the New England WASP four bridesmaid mold in the process.

Now, back to business. Those poor Romanians!

Today we passed a milestone in the history of health care in the nation of Romania.

What's this huge advancement they're talking about? New vaccines? Amazing new operating equipment??

Under Dr. Ovidiu and the manager of the municipal hospital of Oradea we conducted a prototype training for ten patients and medical personnel.

Oh. It's them. They're the milestone in Romanian healthcare. Of course.

In our general teaching sessions we have demonstrated to the patients and medical staff how 70% sickness and disease is either stress-induced or stress related. We then show how when stress is resolved, sickness and disease often clear up.

Translation: We know those ignorant doctors said it was third degree burns...but really, you're beset by evil spirits. Give money to Gothard and all will be well! ...Oh? Still not better? Better pray on your lack of faith! :pray:

I am officially (even more) horrified.

In the pic with Gothard, Priscilla looks a bit squicked out to me. Her face is all scrunched up. It's almost like "Get this over with. this guy smells of brimstone"

I wonder if they roll Gothard out for these events and just put him back into cold storage for the remainder of the year?

Priscilla has spent much time bathing this day in prayer and far more importantly all which this day will effect

What does this even mean?

SOTDRT Fail.

Re: the # of bridesmaids--I've noticed more in the South than the North, more for younger than older brides, and fundies do seem to have a lot. But then again, what else in life can they look forward to? At least on this day there is so much going on, no one has time to scrutinize every single thing they do, and they are kind of within the realm of the center of attention, for once in their lives. It's parent-approved escape from reality.

Poor fundies.

Also, re: fundie photos on train tracks--it was cutting edge/popular about 10 years ago, and they've finally caught on. Plus, not a modesty issue. However, the gritty aspect of the original concept does not really translate when you've got a subject who can't even show the collarbone.

For many people, my family included, it IS about them - a wedding is about the joining of two families, and not just the bride and groom. It's not about not hurting 'feefees', it's about honouring all aspects of the couple's life, including family. Middle class American norms = not the norms for everyone. Calling another person's wedding 'tacky' for doing something as ordinary as honouring family is personally tackier than anything else.

In any case, ANYTHING can seem tacky:

http://offbeatbride.com/2008/07/tacky

I ddn't have any bridesmaids. No groomsmen either. Too much drama and I don't need extra stuff to worry about.

Many ethnic weddings have large wedding parties in reflection of the substantial extended families and cultural traditions. What do you do when you run into one? Close your eyes until the dizziness passes? There's a lot of legitimate things to snark on about this wedding; but you're reaching here, and being rather judgmental of non-fundies that don't fall into the New England WASP four bridesmaid mold in the process.

Wow, stereotype much? Why do you assume I'm not "ethnic"? Don't try to play the race card with someone from an Italian Catholic family. But it's like I said before: if you try to make everyone feel special, then absolutely nobody feels special. It's not a bad thing to single out one sister and not the rest. Especially in a large fundie family, it may be the only time she ever gets anything to herself. Everyone has closer bonds with some people than with others. It's better to honor the truly strong bonds and invite just a few. The other sisters in a particular family will get plenty of other chances, especially in giant fundie families with a wedding every year.

Wow, stereotype much? Why do you assume I'm not "ethnic"? Don't try to play the race card with someone from an Italian Catholic family. But it's like I said before: if you try to make everyone feel special, then absolutely nobody feels special. It's not a bad thing to single out one sister and not the rest. Especially in a large fundie family, it may be the only time she ever gets anything to herself. Everyone has closer bonds with some people than with others. It's better to honor the truly strong bonds and invite just a few. The other sisters in a particular family will get plenty of other chances, especially in giant fundie families with a wedding every year.

Oh for the love of Pete. Forgive me for trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming you were only being judgmental out of ignorance... rather than rudely asserting your way is the only right one out of pure hubris. I'll be sure not to make that mistake again.

EDIT: Edited to say I don't want to derail, so I'm going to leave this here and not engage any further.

In the pic with Gothard, Priscilla looks a bit squicked out to me. Her face is all scrunched up. It's almost like "Get this over with. this guy smells of brimstone"

I wonder if they roll Gothard out for these events and just put him back into cold storage for the remainder of the year?

This. He looks like a corpse.

EDIT: Edited to say I don't want to derail, so I'm going to leave this here and not engage any further.

Derailings happen in most threads that go over a few pages, no one cares.

Archived